“Brilliant long weekend away”
Review of Fancourt

Fancourt
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in George
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We were really well taken care of by all at Fan court. The kids facility has everything you could imagine, with friendly staff who went the extra mile to entertain and play with the kids. The indoor heated pool was a real plus for the middle of winter. The breakfast had a great selection with attentive whilst unobtrusive service. We were on our way out one afternoon, and a guest had parked us in, for the inconvenience when we returned to our room that night there was a personalised apology note, plus personalised handmade biscuits for the kids, a complimentary toy and animal shaped towels which both kids adored....really thoughtful. Thanks a for a great stay - we will be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Lisa T, Client Relations Officer at Fancourt, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Thank you for your very special review of Fancourt. We couldn’t be more thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. Some of our greatest fans are patrons of Kidz Club and my colleagues who take care of that area are so excited to have received your recognition, thank you!

It is only our pleasure to have created some “magic” in your room after you had been parked in – we were so concerned that you might be running late for your family function.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back!

Warmest Fancourt wishes,

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Wrapping up a three night stay here and found this to be one of the best upscale resorts I've visited. Three outstanding golf courses with The Links entering my all time top 5, great service from the moment I was greeted by name as I drove up to the reception. Spacious and comfortable rooms and good food. Best of all if you are spending $, Euros or pounds its great value at the moment. $3 beers and a caddie costs $17 a round! Tip well they earn it.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your lovely review of Fancourt and your kind praise. We are truly blessed to have such a beautiful resort.

I am sure the exchange rate does make a South African holiday that little bit more appealing and it adds to your enjoyment to be able to throw some “financial caution” to the wind.

We look forward to welcoming you back and hopefully next time your family can join you!

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Fancourt is a paradise for golfers. The hotel is comfortable, service is excellent. The real attraction is the onsite championship golf courses and the most beautiful setting below the Outeniqua mountains. A few minutes from George airport.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank bramm_travel
Lisa T, Client Relations Officer at Fancourt, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Thank you for your positive review of Fancourt.

While we truly are a golfer’s paradise, we do also offer a wide variety of activities for non-golfers like tennis, leisure trails of 2.5, 5 or 10km, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, The Spa, fishing, mountain biking, gym facilities, the list just goes on.

For the Mums and Dads out there we offer a supervised Kidz Club, Teen Lounge and baby-sitting service so you can enjoy the all important “date-night”.

We look forward to welcoming you back for a leisure trip!

Reviewed June 2, 2013

For the frequent global travelers used to the so called 5 star ostentatious luxury and service, will probably understand how the world is still short of truly top of the class hospitality that is not generic and awkwardly servile.

Fancourt is one in few commendable bespoke luxury hospitality.

The service of the staff from the gate guards, to the golf cart manager, to guest relations officer to operations manager, are commendably genuine to make your stay pleasant and happy. One now understands that the impeccability and beauty of Fancourt really stem from the hearts and souls of its people.
It's the people who are the center of its aesthetics.

Everyone has an innate manner to go the extra mile to help us.
We were never short of carts to go further than the golf course. The serving staff at the restaurants are always open to tailoring the dishes to fit us. I admit I am a bit of a high maintenance when it comes to food.
We never felt nickeled and dimed from the moment we drove through the gate.

The guest relation officer went through lengths to help my wife organized a romantic surprise birthday for me. They quietly upgraded our last stay, and presented us their pride - the Manor House. Sold! We will be back indeed, at the Manor House the next time. The bespoke luxury is worth to return for.

We pretty much feel like we were part of a big family where everyone treats each other with care and respect.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Lisa T, Client Relations Officer at Fancourt, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Thank you for your heart warming review. We are brimming with pride and are so thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you created lasting memories while at Fancourt.

Taking care of you during your time with us was only our pleasure and we look forward to welcoming you back to the family soon.

Only the best wishes to you and your lovely wife.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

To start with, this was our second visit with the first being in 2010.

Question- How do you know when you have arrived at a world leading resort?
Answer - Staff you have never met greet you by name as soon as you see them.

On arrival into Fancourt, we quickly had our bags taken from the car by one of 2 porters. I gave them the car keys, they asked for my surname and I was gone inside to reception to check in. This whole process was honestly under 1 minute (we had driven for hours and just wanted to get to our room).

Check in was flawless and in no time we were taken to our rooms on buggy. As we were travelling with our 2 children (12 and 9), we took an option of having 2 rooms with an interjoining door. The second room was half price which was exceptional value.

I note that other reviewers have explained the rooms in a lot of detail so I won't repeat the obvious, but the standard of accomodation is right up with the best I have ever seen, anywhere in the world. As soon as we dropped the bags in the room, my son (god bless him) told me he left something in the car. I immediately walked to the entrance where one of the porters (that I didn't speak to on arrival) was waiting. As soon as I approached him his exact words were "Good afternoon Mr Gregory, how can I help you". To say I was astonished is an understatement. How did this man know who I was ???

This was just one example of the excellent service we received during our entire stay.

Breakfast and most dinners were taken in La cantina which has been renovated since our last visit and was very accomodating. We had a couple of meals at Henry White's also, which was simply superb.

The kids really enjoyed the heated pool and the wife loved the spa. For me, I had already played both the Montague and Outeniqua courses, so thought I would try my hand at the famous Links.

As a solid 5 marker, I had heard the reputation of the Links, the presidents cup stories, the infamous rough etc. The first surprise was that we were shuttled outside of the complex to the Links course (we came back via buggy inside the grounds). On arrival at the Links, we were greated by all staff and treated like royalty. I am not sure if this is just the norm, or whether it was because our group of 3 was the only 3 playing the course for the entire day, but none the less, we were well received. The practice facilities are immaculate and on the first tee we were greeted by the starter, given gifts and course instructions.

Now a game at the Links is not cheap (about $160 AUD) plus caddie, but this is one of the best courses I have ever played on, anywhere. It is scenic, it is challenging, but these are not this courses finest points. This is a true links course, there is risk reward on almost every hole. For the golfing purist who accepts the ball lies where it lies, does not get upset about mounds in the middle of fairways, or bunkers like "The Coffin" that even my playing partner who is off scratch couldn't get out of in 2, this is the course for you.

I hit driver on only 2 or three holes, such is the nature of the course. It is certainly not short, 6477 metres from the Green and 6930 metres from the Black, but this is a thinking mans course. The forward tees at 5721 metres would enable higher handicap players to also enjoy this masterpiece, but just don't think you can miss a fairway and get away with it.

Tip for the brave, on the 18th hole, hit your tee shot, then take out a really old ball, wander back to the back tees and have a go. It is (from memory) 267 carry to reach the fairway (I made it to the left hand bunker - probably would have just made it onto the fairway if I was straight) and yes, I had a tail wind helping.

Enough about golf. Fancourt is a once in a lifetime, you simply have to do, kind of place. We will be back, not sure when, but hopefully in another 3 years (unless greater minds than mine know how to pull south africa closer to Australia to save the long flights.

Big thanks also to Lisa Townend for dropping in at breakfast to see how we were going. Hopefully we will see you on our return visit.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Chris G
Lisa T, Client Relations Officer at Fancourt, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Thank you for your heart-warming review. This is the ultimate praise that we can receive and we are celebrating “your stay” and your kind feedback.

It was my pleasure to have met you and your wonderful family and we look forward to welcoming you back to Fancourt and especially to The Links.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

6 nights room 534 any room at this hotel would be good.
From the moment you get to the gates the service is superb. Once you get through the gates this place is utopia!
At reception you are greeted by name as you walk though the doors and to reception they greet you by name. (Gate keeper rings through to advise of your arrival).We were given hot towels and a glass of bubbly. Then taken on a brief tour of the club house and shown where the restaurants are. Our bags are loaded onto a buggy and we follow to the carpark. We are then driven to our room. The porter shows us around our room explaining the amenities.
OMG it is so big. You walk through the door to see a large lounge are with two single, a double sofa, coffee table, tv, writing desk, bar/coffee area and gabled roof. There is a huge sliding doors which leads onto a verandah partially overlooking the driving range because it is obscured with trees. Walk through a double set of bifold doors to another equally large room with a bed that looks bigger than a king. It has a bed stool running the length of it. There is another writing desk and tv and still there is plenty of room to move around. They is a small walkway which leads to the bathroom and dressing area that has 2 small wardrobes and a full length mirror and safe. Opposite this is the beige marbled tiled bathroom. This is large also. There is a bath surrounded by windows but it takes a long while to fill so not a good idea if you are in a hurry, a double bowl sink, large shower with a fantastic spray. At the end of the bathroom there is a separate toilet with a glass door it also has a bidet. The bathroom has under tile floor heating, heated towel rails, makeup mirror and a powerful hair dryer. The rooms are very tastefully decorated grey carpet with beige, orange, reds and brown furniture, curtains, accessories and lovely prints on the walls.There is a coffee plunger and teas a small bar fridge stocked with beers and drinks.
They have 3 restaurants, conference centre, 3 excellent golf courses on site The Links requires a golf shuttle because it is a long way from the main clubhouse. Tennis court, bike hire, gym, roman heated pool as well as another one in the leisure centre. There is also an outdoor pool, kids club with mini theatre, outdoor play area. It has everything. There is also a 2.5, 5 or 10km trail walk around the resort. You really don't need to leave the resort they have it all.
We had dinner at Henry White's 2times All I can say everything was superb, shining silver cutlery, those oversized wine glasses and plates so big that it looks like there isn t much too eat. But yet you still hear people complain about the most trivial things and treat staff like crap. People who have lots of money think they can do anything, I hate that. The menu like many in plush surrounding have long exotic names but if you break it down it's something like fish with vegetables. Don't get me wrong it was excellent. They had selection of salad, soups and starters the main meal was a little short of choice (only my opinion) and not too many vegetarian options. I only saw mushroom risotto the funny thing being Henry White, his wife and a friend died of food poisoning.
Breakfast was included in our package. It was in the Cantina, Italian style. It is cold and hot buffet when they know the resort is busy and on slower mornings you can order from a menu. The buffet part is cereals, yogurts with so many toppings you can add, fresh sliced and whole fruits, small selection of cold meats and salmon, at least 6 fruit juices, fresh breads, delicious pastries, jams and chutneys. The hot buffet has scrambled eggs, tomato, mushroom, baked beans, sausages, hash browns and bacon. From the menu I recommend the salmon crepe with hollandaise sauce it was delicious. Had dinner there one night a little more lay back than Henry White's. Just one point if you don't like pasta 'al dente' ask them to cook it a little longer, it was a little had for our liking. Going back to try the wood fired pizza it looked delicious.
Played golf at the 3 courses Montagu, Outeniqua and the Links. The Links being the hardest and not for the weekend hacker. My husband plays off 1 and struggled. If you don't hit straight you will lose more than 1 ball on a hole. It is a walking only course. They day we played we were the only ones booked on for the entire day. All courses you must have a caddy total cost for caddy 190R+tip.
Everyone calls you ma'am or sir and by the end of the day you are sick of saying good morning or hello to everyone, but I must admit it is nice to see such friendly people even if they have to do it. (This sound cynical doesn't it)
Every day while we were out housekeeping left plate of sliced fruit, or a small basket in our room. They also are real big on leaving the towel sculpture animals such as snail, swans, elephant and monkey decorated with flower petals.
I think anywhere else we stay in SA will be a disappointment compared to Fancourt.
So far this is they best place I have ever stayed on in my travels.

Room Tip: Any room here would be excellent.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank aussietraveller59
Lisa T, Client Relations Officer at Fancourt, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Thank you for your comprehensive review. It is always a pleasure to receive such honest and detailed feedback. I will share both your praise and constructive feedback with my colleagues.

We wish you only the best for the rest of your stay in our beautiful country and may your memories of Fancourt remain a treasure to you.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

From the moment you drive through the gates, this is an experience of a lifetime. The hospitality, accommodation, food, wine, beer and facilities are out of this world. Not to mention 2 World class golf courses on your doorstep. Treat yourself to the trip and experience of a lifetime and enjoy a glass of wine on the terrace for me!

Room Tip: Be nice at check in.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JohnnyGdotie
Lisa T, Client Relations Officer at Fancourt, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Thank you for your positive and kind review – we are elated that you enjoyed every minute of your time with us. We strive for this exact level of service excellence and it is a joy to read and share your review with my colleagues.

Enjoying a glass of wine on the terrace with the unsurpassed views is an absolute must while at Fancourt. Next time you come through I would suggest a round on The Links as it is exceptionally special and the club house is just so beautiful and luxurious.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Lisa Townend

Also consider these accommodations in or near George
Oubaai Hotel Golf & Spa
Protea Hotel by Marriott King George
3 mi away
Protea Hotel by Marriott George Outeniqua
Protea Hotel by Marriott Mossel Bay

Been to Fancourt? Share your experiences!