“Expectations too high?”

La Locanda
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Our expectations were based on all the excellent reviews. However, our expectations were not met. Noting to complain about, but it was nothing special either. That being said, my wife ordered a straightforward pasta dish (mushroom and ham) so I guess there is not much room to jazz it up. She was a bit disappointed that there is no option between which type of pasta to choose. It was only served as penne. I ordered lamb with a coffee reduction sauce. The lamb was soft and juicy and the sauce was very good. The side dishes were very plain and almost disappointing. The service was good, the atmosphere is nice, but for the price and portion size, we prefer other pizza and pasta restaurants in George.

5  Thank Bennie S
Arianna S, Owner at La Locanda, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Good day Sir,
I’m deeply sorry that you did not enjoy all the way your dining experience with us, I would like to just point out that our chef are quiet specific on combine they pasta type with the different sauce for the reason that certain pasta will hold certain sauce beater then others, and is very easy not to enjoy a plate of pasta if combined wrong , as for the lamb I’m very happy you enjoyed the meat and as far as it goes for the sides we are try to keep the mash potato basic so that it can accentuate the flavour of the lamb , and the vegetable that also come on the dish it is usually a big hit with other customer as they are oven roasted daily.
We do hope you will pay us another visit and perhaps enjoy some others dish on our menu`.
Kind regards

Reviewed March 8, 2013

This is our favourite restaurant, we make excuses to travel to George just to eat there - keep it up Dario - we love it and recommend it to our guests. Ray and Fiona Berresford of Bellamanga Country House Plettenberg Bay.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

The restaurant was pretty busy on a Tuesday night, which is always encouraging. The service was helpful and friendly; the locally made mozzarella was fresh and delicious; and the veal simply melted in the mouth.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Excellent service in a friendly manner. The best pizza on the garden route in my opinion, but that is not all, a good Italian kitchen with specials which genuinely change every week. A very efficient kitchen delivers meals in good time even when very busy. Excellent wine list, a wide choice of very good house wines by the 250 ml carafe.
My favourite garden route restaurant. I eat out 3 times a week, so that says a lot.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Undoubtably the best Italian in the area, the food, presentation and ambiance is second to none.
The menu is a mixture of Italian favourites and main courses of excellence. We must go more often, Will and Anita.

1  Thank willc c