“Perfect”

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in George
Grand Cayman
“Perfect”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

This is a fantastic hotel in a beautiful setting. The room are spacious, modern and really nice, some of the best I have seen. The staff is friendly and always ready to help. Pay the extra and choose the Regency club, the breakfast included is superb. At the end, my only regret was not to stay longer...

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the Regency CLub
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Riyadh
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Nice location and beautiful contemporary design do not make up for a shocking food experience. A Spanish Buffet for R180 pp turned out to be one of the worst meals I have had in a long time. Salad buffet was simple but fresh and I should have stuck to that rather. The bread was ok and the seafood soup was starchy and thick. The main course consisted of: a saffron rice concoction that was so sticky we could't get it off the spoon; a flat chicken breast steamed and dressed in a tomatoe based sauce; mixed over-cooked veggies in a generic catering sauce; mussels out of the shell in a thick white sauce; and the "show stopper" was the paella with only (more) yellow sticky rice and two mussels in shell left over. Obviously there were other diners who got to the prawns and proteien stuff first! The sweet buffet consisted of strawberries, chantilly cream and creme brullee dressed up in different ways. The fritter does not deserve a mention. Hope F&B reads this and improve on their effort!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed December 28, 2012

This was our second stay at Oubaai having previously visited in December 2011. We returned because of our very good experience with the resort and hotel restaurant. This time we were very disappointed. On the last occasion the then manager went out of his way to give personal attention to the patrons and to recommend delicious meal choices. This time the ambiance was not what it should have been with children running riot and physically knocking into our table almost spilling our wine. The main restaurant lights were flickering on and off presumable being interfered with by children.Since management was nowhere to be found we had to take it upon ourselves to move tables.There was a choice of a "braai buffet" or a la carte which we decided upon. My husband ordered the lamb shank as his main course. It arrived ice cold together with ice cold mash potato. When the manager finally arrived, long after the end of the meal, my husband expressed his dissatisfaction to no avail. Breakfast offered more disappointment. We specifically ordered well cooked omelettes - both were so runny we couldn't eat them. We were also amazed to return from the buffet to discover that our table had been cleared and reset for other patrons. We are clearly not the first people to have experienced service issues specifically in the hotel restaurant. In the light of all the other good things the hotel has to offer it would be a pity if senior management does not address these service failings.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed December 28, 2012

This is a new-ish hotel and everything from the rooms to the entire resort area is kept absolutely perfect.

The rooms are large with a very modern open-plan bathroom. The beds are extremely comfortable. The staff is very courteous and the golf course is just stunning.

Breakfast has a huge spread of european delights. A special mention to the chef, who made an extremely (off-menu) tasty Indian style curry for me on request. The staff has an attitude which just says- "nothing is too much to ask for!"

Also, dont miss out on the hiking trail at the very edge of their golf course. The hotel mgt. will arrange for a golf cart to drive you to the very bottom of their property (which has a lovely lake, and a couple of benches- think picnic spot). Once there, you can climb your way up through a winding mud trail. A great way to build up an appetite for their huge breakfast.

A beautiful place for relaxing, and I am sure to return to this property on my next visit to SA.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cape Town
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Lovely, spacious room with soft, comfortable linen and modern bathroom. The resort is all round spectacular, with a stunning swimming pool, and designed so that you can find a private spot around the swimming pool. Challenging golf course, squash, tennis, spa, kids club, babysitters, excellent breakfast - everything you would expect from a 5 star hotel.

Why I do not give this full marks, is that the service ranged from top quality to the downright negligent. When I made my booking, I asked about the spa, and if I should book in advance (it was my partners 40th birthday, and I thought I would spoil her). The receptionist said there was no need to book in advance, and I can book when I arrive. Alas, when I arrived, the spa was completely booked up, and the only explanation was that it is difficult to find therapists in the area. What had changed in the 3 weeks between making my booking and arriving?

Added to this, the service from the restaurants in the hotel was, on more than one occasion, dismal. The waiters often got the orders wrong, and rectifying the mistake involved going up the chain of command, so that by the end of the ordeal, 4 separate staff members were involved, though none actually speaking to us, besides the waiter. It was absolutely farcical.

In other areas (the porters, most of the waiters, and other staff members), the service was excellent.

Whilst the poor service (especially the spa) did detract somewhat from an amazing experience (and a 5 star rating), we still had a wonderful time here, and yes, I would return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Yorkshire
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I loved this place!The rooms were de-luxe with modern furnishings,the linens soft and fluffy,the staff helpful and friendly and the food was absolutely fabulous! I'm sure I put on half a stone just looking at it! How I wish I could have stayed longer.If I played golf I'd be out there in a heartbeat!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank YorkshireAdventurer1
Sanary-sur-Mer, France
Reviewed December 18, 2012

The hotel complex is located inside a private golf estate. The usual US chain hotel attributes on such estates apply here: nice pool, nice public areas, well kept gardens, lovely views, good rooms with beautiful bathrooms. Based on these attributes alone I might have rated this a 4 out 5.

Where this property loses points is in the fact it does not provide wifi anywhere. The so-called wifi in public areas does not actaully work. In the rooms all you get is a cable, circa 1995. Useless if you want to connect via tablet or phone. The rate we booked specifically was to include free wifi access. This was not delievered and in fairness the hotel did refund a portion of the rate upon complaining about this false advertising. I realise this is South Africa and in many ways a few steps behind the tech standards in Europe but for a Hyatt property that charges 5-star rates it surely is not too much to ask that in the year 2012/2013, they are able to ensure a wifi connection throughout their property.

Wifi is a basic infrastructure eseential, such as water and electricity and no hotel that claims to be in the luxury category can get away with not providing it, and providing it for free.

Other than that, the hotel seemed quite deserted, there were very few customers, and the surrounding golf estate was without any sign of life as well. Many of the houses were empty, not just unoccupied but literally empty of furniture, presumably awaiting sale. This gives the area a rather sad and desolate feel. Keep in mind this was early December - high season!

One of the restaurants was closed and the food in the other one (Cucina) was mediocre at best. Certainly vastly overpriced by SA price/quality levels elsewhere.

Luckily we only stayed one night.

The desolate air of the golf estate and the lack of standard technological infrastructure makes this one to avoid on future trips.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near George
Fancourt
The Manor House at Fancourt
The Wilderness Hotel
The Wilderness Hotel
#2 of 5 in Wilderness

Been to Oubaai Hotel Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!