“comfortable”

French Lodge International
Ranked #3 of 30 Specialty Lodging in George
“comfortable”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

nothing much to say other than it feels like home-from-home. always friendly and willing to accommodate any queries or changes to TV channels and advice as to where the better places are to go for a meal

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Peter F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Finnish first
Sedgefield, South Africa
Reviewed February 26, 2013

French Lodge was a lovely romantic getaway for Valentine's Day. Clean, comfortable, friendly staff and central to George restaurants & airport. Reasonable wine was available and breakfast very nice too. The only thing we were not impressed with was the coffee and they were very apologetic and happy to supply a better pot. All in all, no complaints and we would definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We flew into George (from JBG) so this was an ideal stop to acclimatise. Just 15 mins from George airport; 15 mins from the beaches, and 2 mins from the main street it's a great location.
The lodge itself was very friendly, clean and simple. A very nice, spacious room overlooking the pool; if you wanted to stay longer the poolside chalets looked very nice.
It's a great stopover place and I would return and recommend...

Room Tip: Poolside rooms/chalets are very nice... If you want something a little quiter ask for the balcony ro...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Madison, Alabama
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I am going to be very fair in my review and will include pictures for you to decide for yourself. After reading the reviews on here and also checking out the website I was beyond myself with excitement, thinking of just how awesome this place looked. It was listed as being a 4 star spot and from the pictures on the website it looked fabulous. Well, on the day of our arrival we drove right past the spot thinking that the sign we were passing was another French Lodge because from the sign alone, it looked nothing close to a 4 star spot. Sadly to say, the sign we passed was the entrance, so we turned around and entered the parking lot. First impression, RUN-DOWN. The place from the outside did not look anything like what we expected and when the guard came out to talk to us, we really had to ask again if we were in the right place. I refused to come out of the car and left my husband do the talking. He asked to see the room just to see if our fears would be justified, and from the look on his face when he returned, I already knew the answer. The room that was waiting for us was nothing like what we expected, and the bedding smelt as if they had not been washed in quite a while. I immediately started calling a ton of other places to see if anywhere else was available, but since we arrived on Christmas day, late in the evening it was no use. Everywhere was booked and if we left we would still have had to pay for the room. We had the guard call the manager of the hotel and he quickly arrived, and we told him our thoughts. I will say that he was very kind and helpful even though we had nothing good to say. He found us another room above the room we were to be staying in which seemed more aerated and with cleaner bedding. We had no other choice but to stay so we did. Thank God it was only for 2 nights, and at least there was AC. The room included two queen size beds, a small couch, table and chairs and a fridge. The bathroom was quite large with a jacuzzi tub and standing shower with his and her sinks. It sounds like it was nice but still was not 4 star quality. The breakfast was good and the waiter and the receptionist were very nice. Oh, may I add that the pool was dirty and looked gross. I was so looking forward to taking a nice relaxing swim but the water was not clear and there were things floating in it. I don't know how this place was able to get the 4 stars because I have seen 3 star places that are wayyy better than this. I for one will never stay here again and none of my friends will either. I can imagine that when the place was first built and taken care of that it may have been very nice but it's definitely not the same now. Again, take a look at the pictures and decide for yourself.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank kramn
French_Lodge, Manager at French Lodge International, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank-you so much for posting your opinion.

We are so pleased that you took the time to notice the 18th century Ox-Wagon that was sourced from the heart of the Karoo, but think it's a pity that - after looking in the room - you decided that the bedding smelled bad.

The "things" that were floating in the pool were flowers from the Hibiscus tree next to the pool after we had some wind.

How unfortunate that you chose to stay a second night after we asked you if you enjoyed your evening as there were a few of our regular guests on a waiting list who would have been delighted to stay with us again.

Good luck with your further travels.

Kind Regards,

Management
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for bussiness for the first time after recommendation from another person at work and I was not dissapionted. The service from the moment we arrived was superb and the rondavel next to the pool was outstanding to say the least. The room was spacious and very comfortable.. I will definitely return to this hotel!

Room Tip: Book a rondavel around the pool. A little bit more expensive but worth it!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We were greeted on arrival and shown to our beautiful rooms alongside the crystal blue swimming pool. This is the view that awaits you when you wake in the morning, after sleeping in their "tiny" beds. Small joke, you can easily fit 4 adults in one bed, they are so big and comfortable, I slept like a baby! Each room has a jet bath as well, so you can enjoy a jacuzzi in the privacy of your own thatched accommodation.....The staff are fantastic and so accommodating, which is stunning! I arranged a barbecue for my guests, but due to the wood being wet, a microwave was organised for me to finish dinner, nothing was too much trouble for Fortune or Thibault that night. Only wished we could have stayed longer! Pleae make this a stop should you be going via George, enroute to George Airport! Thanks so much French Lodge, our last night travelling was FANTASTIC!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Reviewed October 28, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the French Lodge a couple of weeks ago - for a weekend getaway.
The French Lodge came highly recommended from a business colleague of mine - and boy did it not disappoint.

The French lodge is set in a beautiful garden with a stunning swimming pool. Rooms are very neat and comfortable - and the Jacuzzi was fantastic.

The staff where so polite and friendly. Special thanks to Natasha for been so helpful - you are a wonderful hostess.

Will definitely be returning!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple