“great views, service and child friendly restaurant”
Review of Dutton's Cove

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in George
Dutton's Cove
Ranked #21 of 31 Specialty Lodging in George
Reviewed March 14, 2012

we decided to stay at Duttons Cove during a family trip down to the garden route. wow, what a view over the beautiful Herolds Bay coastline. Rooms were very comfortable and clean, ideal for the family. the beach was a short drive. The restaurant served good quality family friendly food, something we found quite difficult to find along the \garden route. Restaurants either got it right or more often than not terribly wrong. Service was excellent. so great weather, good comfortable rooms, good rest and excellent service made it one of the highlights of our trip.
many thanks to the management and staff

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed February 20, 2011

Although we didn't actually stay at Dutton's Cove, my partner and I visited the restaurant one Saturday in February for an early lunch. The last time I'd been to DC was about ten or even fifteen years ago for a family buffet lunch which everyone enjoyed, so I thought DC would be a safe bet. The weather was stunning, as was the view (of course!) and the waitress who served us was cheerful and more than accommodating when we discovered that my beer was flat (we later discovered it had expired in January) and made the necessary swap.

My partner ordered a platter and I went for my usual: grilled calamari, thinking it was a safe bet. Well, to not put too fine a point on it, it wasn't. The calamari was haphazardly cut and served - a small portion, and very tough and rubbery and tasteless. I often prepare and cook calamari myself and I feel that restaurants should at least be able to keep up with an amateur cook. After the beer problem I was shy to complain. My partner helped by eating the remainder (he was very, very hungry after a long cycle but reported that his platter was nothing exciting). The food offered at DC seems to be made by a bored, uninterested cook. Instead of being able to recommend DC to friends and family, we simply cannot.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mushilele
Reviewed May 14, 2008

Stayed here 4 nights during a tour of the Garden Route. We stayed in the Ocean View 1 self-catering apartment which was located in a beach house separated from the main hotel by a few hundred yards. There were 3 double bedrooms, all en suite, a huge lounge and dining area that could cater for eight people, and a fully fitted kitchen. Outside was a huge balcony with excellent views over Herolds Bay. There was also a laundry room in the basement. We paid £85 a night booking direct with the owners. Two of the bedrooms were recently re-decorated and the bathrooms updated, but here and there the place needed a little refurbishment. This apartment provides plenty of space even if eight people were in residence - which would make it even better value for money. If you look at the hotel website, don't be fooled into thinking this is beach-front accommodation. Its a walk down a pretty steep hill to get down there, however, the views and the outside space are good compensation. There is a restaurant in the hotel grounds, but we didn't use it preferring to eat on our own balcony (the beach house being separate from the hotel made that a little impractical anyway) Most of the hotel accommodation is in chalets closer to the beach, which are smaller but cheaper, and all have ocean views. A good base for exploring the Mossel Bay / Oudtshorn / Wilderness area on the Garden Route.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple