“Great but massive fly problem!”

La Belle Bistro & Bakery
Ranked #19 of 44 Restaurants in Constantia
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

This is a fabulous restaurant but unfortunately our lovely meal was spoilt by a fly attack. We literally could not get the food in our mouths fast enough as our hands were constantly preoccupied swatting flies.
Very gross actually.
What was disappointing is that the staff all watched as we struggled through our fly attack with little or no interest in our irritation.
Guys no matter how amazing your food or ambience is, dirty big flies (loads of them) landing on your R300 crayfish tail is just really not cool.
And super unhygienic.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I met my friend here for lunch who was out from America we always had good times and dinners inside and lunches at the Boer en Brit. We were astonished by all the remodeling. Firstly I must complement your waiters, they were unobtrusive, gently removing and topping up wine and always attentive to needs. We both had salads that were substantial and tasty. The dessert of course was heavenly, I chose a dark chocolate and pistachio torte and my friend her own mini lemon meringue pie. Sheer joy. I certainly would recommend this venue to any local or foreign visitor. It makes one proud to see SA hospitality at the best. A big plus goes to the lady behind the counter who advised us on the desserts she really knew her stuff. I'll be back!!!

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Great venue for lunch in a courtyard with shady umbrellas. The food is well presented, varied and of good quality. The staff are eager to ensure you have an enjoyable experience. The bread and cakes are lovely especially the many different sweet tarts such as white chocolate of pecan. My curried chick pea with seared tuna with a coriander and yogurt dressing was really lovely but so filling I had no room for dessert. This seems to be a favourite spot for Constantia ladies who lunch but seem to spend hours over the one glass of wine which means there is often a wait to get a table outside but the tables inside are okay. Also worth a mention is the nicely appointed toilets. This is art of the Alphen hotel and easily located off the main constantia road. It is also a lovely spot for an early evening drink.

Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

What a very nice place for breakfast or just coffee and a scone. Service could be smarter and the delivery of food a tad slow . Otherwise you will enjoy your visit as I will always return when I can. Dinner is also nice especially if you have a balmy evening with some friends and a bottle of wine or two.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

We went for a light lunch - just 1 course. The portions are generous and the food tasty. The food and wine by the glass prices tend to be high, comparable to the Waterfront, but you do have an opportunity to eat outside if you wish under shade. We chose inside as the chairs are more comfortable. It was hard to agree who had made the better choice. The seared salmon was as requested - crispy skin but quite rare inside, not easy to get right garnished with perfectly cooked asparagus. The two fishcakes with wasabi were excellent although the addition of sweetcorn we think made the salmon a winner.
Staff are helpful, knowledgeable but sometimes distracted if they're not too busy. The menu does not change very much so for us it is a now and then choice, but a reliable one.