“A Menu for Any Occasion!”

La Belle Bistro & Bakery
Ranked #18 of 41 Restaurants in Constantia
Cuisines: European
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Scotland, United Kingdom
“A Menu for Any Occasion!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Called in a couple of times for a light lunch on my recent visit to Cape Town. On a very wet day, I sat inside. On my next visit, I enjoyed the winter sunshine and sat outside. The location is excellent, situated next to the refurbished Alphen Hotel. The service was friendly and efficient and the staff were happy to make recommendations. On both occasions, it was busy and perhaps it might be worthwhile calling ahead to reserve a table during the summer months.

• Visited June 2012

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“Good, but overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

The venue is lovely and the service good (after we had gone inside to ask for service) but La Belle is overpriced. Fine for travellers given the exchange rate perhaps, but expensive by South African standards. My fish cakes were delicious, but given that they came fairly unaccompanied - though the few tiny mushrooms on the plate were sublime - I'm glad I wasn't terribly hungry. It just makes me think overseas visitors are being ripped off just a little.

• Visited July 2012
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Cafe - Good Food, Very Expensive, Amazing Cakes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

Decided to have breakfast at the Alphen's Cafe Restaurant this morning with my family.

We arrived early to avoid the sunday lunch crush which was a good idea as we still managed to get a parking space right outside. When we asked to be seated outside they said they where fully booked but i noticed half of the tables empty. Guess it was a ploy to get people seated inside instead of outside. When i said I would go elsewhere they quickly removed a reserved sign and let us sit outside.

Service is so-so and a little bit annoying as they hassled you every five minutes wanting to ask what you want to order. Would also be good if they had more SA waitron staff (support locals)....local is lekker I say.

We both had egg dishes which where very well made and delicious. I had the 3-egg omlette which i have to say it was amazing.

If you go inside you will be stunned by the selection of cakes. They have an in-house pastry chef who makes the most incredible looking creations. We ordered chocolate cake and one of the fruit tarts. Both where as good as they looked.

Prices are very high so dont get a shock. They have a breakfast of fruit, pastries and eggs for R130. Other mains are over R100. En egg dish is R55 to R75. The cakes are reasonable and range between R22 and R35.

If you can handle the prices, I would definitely recommend the Alphen's cafe restaurant for lunch/breakfast.

We will definitely return for breakfast and probably cake.

London, United Kingdom
“Quite nice for a change”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

A nice setting. Good staff. Disappointing spicy chicken salad as the chicken looked like and tasted like processed chicken, although I hope it wasn't. The deserts looked very nice although, for once I managed not to be tempted, possibly because they look quite larger so perhaps better to share. Anyway I though it was promising and I look forward to trying it again although I hope somebody else chooses the chicken salad next time so I can see if it has improved, I will try something else. Pricey for what it is and even if my chicken hadn't been so mediocre there are better local options IMHO. I will try again though as it has promise.

• Visited March 2012
Warwickshire
“Stylish and Fabulous La Belle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

This wonderful cafe and bakery is part of the Alphen Hotel in Constantia, Cape Town. The incredible choice of cakes and patissieres are beautifully displayed under individual, glass domes. Absolutely loved the huge slice of black forest cake and the pink homemade marshmallows looked scrumptious! Lovely breakfast and light lunch menu, wish we could have eaten it all!

• Visited February 2012