“Slow service with tough food.”
Review of 5 Rooms Restaurant

5 Rooms Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 47 Restaurants in Constantia
Cuisines: Fusion
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Don't Expect Traditional Fine Dining Couple the 5 separate rooms decadently designed for privacy and exclusivity, with a cosmopolitan menu with a twist. Laced in tradition and comfort, this culinary experience is one of a kind for couples and parties alike.
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We waited to be served in dismal lighting with flashlight in hand to read the menu. The waitress was friendly but all was so very slowly. It took us almost four hours to complete a two course meal with coffee. The atmosphere and decor are lovely but the selection of game with their sauces, was tough and not recommendable. There were many managers walking around just glancing at tables. This is our third visit as we enjoy the location and ambience but for food and service they are very lacking.

1  Thank Sacram
GMAlphen, Public Relations Manager at 5 Rooms Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Good Day,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

On behalf of the team and owner I would like to extend a sincere apology for the disappointing experience and assure you that we'll be looking into the issues mentioned.

We would appreciate an opportunity to discuss the matter further and make it up to you if at all possible.

Kindly contact me on monique@kovecollection.co.za. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Four ladies enjoyed a fantastic meal at 5 Rooms, the decor and atmosphere are unreal and the food follows suit. A well though out menu with good options , three courses for 199R. It could be perfect for a romantic night too. We loved the sirloin. The service was friendly and professional. The wine list although a bit on the pricey hotel side it included all the best there is to offer in the Western Cape.

Thank you so much for the positive feedback.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We set out to find a dinner reservation for Valentines Day, but as the good restaurants were fully booked, we decided to go for our dinner on the eve of Valentines day.
This Restaurant was a blessing in disguise. The location, the Service, the Food, everything was better than we expected. We had fresh salad starters and for mains a most delightful duet of Springbok, (incl. a miniature bobotie) and perfectly prepared duck. Even the Fish we selected for our son was a hit - prepared carefully and adapted for a child's palate.
All this for a really reasonable price - simply outstanding value.
Another surprise was the call we received about a week later, asking if we had been happy with everything - wow!

1  Thank FireZulu
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Alphen is an old institution in Cape Town in a lovely location but over the years it went in to decline. Now refurbished the Hotel and the Le Belle restaurant have good reports, so I thought I should try their main restaurant the 5 Rooms.

This is the first time I have ever given anywhere an accolade for being the worst food I have ever experienced. The first sign something was wrong, was they had virtually no other diners. Head-banging music bellowed out of speakers. The Calamari Tempura consisted of something, maybe fishy, dipped in a disgusting coating and cooked in old burnt fat and totally inedible. The Signature starter dish “Onion Tart” was only for those with a strong ability to resist indigestion. As for the main course, this was exceptional..... the fish and the beef had the same texture and unbelievably the same ‘sauce’, quite where they obtained it is something I do not want to think about. If they have a Chef, which I doubt, he should consider another profession.

The waiter however was very nice and obligingly discrete.... he apart from the building is the only thing that deserves mention.

Reviewed March 3, 2013