“Best Steaks in Cape Town and a Great Atmosphere.”

The Hussar Grill Constantia
Ranked #7 of 44 Restaurants in Constantia
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located in Steenberg Village, adjacent to the prestigious Steenberg Golf Estate, Hussar Grill Constantia is somewhat reminiscent of an English gentleman's club. You'll feel like you've stepped into a Charles Dickens novel - complete with a library corner, mahogany wood-paneling and leather upholstery. Indulge in a perfectly aged steak and a glass of fine red wine, before retiring at the bar with a cognac.
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We were delighted to find such a good steak house so near to us when on our annual holiday to Cape Town from the UK. We visited several times, had great steaks including ostrich, really good East Coast Sole and lovely fresh salads. Christine the manageress leads a good team who give excellent service and the atmosphere is brilliant. The last Saturday of our visit, the restaurant was heaving, people were queueing to come in, but they found room for everbody and the service was still as good as ever.We can't wait to come back next year!

There are newer reviews for The Hussar Grill Constantia

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Last night (Friday 11th of Jan. 2013) we (4 people)booked and sat for a meal at the Steenberg location. I will start off by saying, it was one of the most unpleasant meal experiences of my life.

When we ordered our meals we informed the waitress handling the order that both women's meals(line fish Dorado) we needed grilled with no sauces because they are both severely gluten intolerant. The waitress said she perfectly understood because she was a chef for 20 years and she would know what was needed for the restaurants chef to do. She then offered the sides and suggested the creamed spinach. I asked what was in the cream and the waitress said Hollandse Sause. I asked if there was flour or gluten in the sause and she said yes so she suggested stir fry vegetables. We asked if they would be sure to clean the pan or WOK to ensure no cross contamination, the waitress said she knew exactly what we needed and would make sure all was handled for us. Also ordered were two side greek salads. We were happy at that point.

When the food was served all our happiness was gone and a nightmare evening began.

When the fish and salads arrived we immediately noticed that both orders of fish had flour completely covering them (top, sides, everywhere) we immediately called the waitress back and she apologized and said that she told the chef and did not know why they did not follow the order. As she left my wife and friend were eating there side salads, but even the salads were so poorly thrown on the plate that the lettuce leaves were hanging over and dragging the table. This meant that every place that the salad was set down, the leaves would be dragged over surfaces(not hygienic at all)

Upon returning with the fish the second time, we all noticed instantly before the waitress even left our table that all the cook did was scrape the flour coating(gluten) off of the top of the fish. They chef did not even scrape the sides. This is inexcusable. When you are allergic or have an intolerance to a food, this means you can have 0% of that food or ingredient. You can not cook it and then scrape it off. The waitress said she did not have her glasses on so she did not see that it was the exact same fish when she brought it out but could see now that it was, with the flour scraped off. The fish was taken away and said a new fish was to be grilled. The manager was called and she said that the chef was told not to put bread on the fish by the waitress but flour would be fine. When we said someone was lying because that was never said, the manager stuck to that story and was actually blaming our table for the incorrect cooking of the fish. The manager also stated that the fish is only cooked one way and they did not know how to cook it any way other than how they were told. (inexcusable)

Upon returning with the new fish, the waitress said that the cook for the fish only knows how to make it one way and does not alter the cooking method for anyone. We asked even if they can not eat it with gluten on it and she said yes. It was however grilled this time without gluten. The waitress walked away and as both women checked their fish, there appeared to be no flour on this one but as soon as both fish were cut into, there was a new horror. One was so raw it was red and slimy inside. The other appeared to be so over cooked (possibly by a microwave) that it had the consistency of rubber or leather.

We were absolutely floored at this and the manager was called again. She had no explanation for the poor food but still insisted that we originally ordered the food wrong and would not accept responsibility for the mistakes.

Next we requested the the meal be taken care of by the restaurant since most of the meal was not edible. The manager said she would have to ask the owner if this was possible and eventually came back and said yes it was taken care of. Surely if you are the manager of a restaurant you have the authority to comp a meal for such a miserable evening, and even more worrisome is that if an owner is at the location, surely they would want to go to the customer and apologize in person.

After leaving the restaurant and going to another restaurant to actually eat, we realized that through all this, the stir fried vegetables that were supposed to come with the meal were never brought to the table either. Although this is a steakhouse, if you are having fish, shouldn't you get a fish knife??? A fish knife was never offered.

I do not care how long you have been in business, if this is the way you serve and treat your customers, you will not be in business(at least in this location) much longer. I felt I was in the TV show Ramsey's Nightmare Restaurants. It was that bad of an experience.

I will never return to this restaurant and neither will our friends. And we would never recommend this restaurant to any of our friends.

5  Thank wbr4368
Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

This a new addition to the Hussars family and will do well. Their steaks are truly the best and well aged. Jason is a true "mine host" who knows how to make you feel special. As soon as some of the serving staff learn the same tricks this branch will be hard to beat. Prices appear high but the quality is there.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I had the good luck to dine at this extremely popular restaurant whilst I was touring South Africa. (It was actually in January 2006, but the system won't allow me to go back that far. Sorry!)

I was traveling alone, and my guest house recommended this little gem of a restaurant.
The exterior was a little deceiving, as my initial impression was of a restaurant with a somewhat restricted menu. However, I couldn't have been more WRONG!!

I chose off the extensive menu, a fillet steak with chilli and chocolate sauce as recommended by the extremely helpful waitress. Boy, what a culinary delight, I thought that I had died and gone to heaven!

The desserts too were absolutely scrumptious, with some traditional ones like sticky toffee pudding (highly recommended!), and the varied wine list offers great local wines.

This will be the first restaurant I visit the next time I am in Cape Town, without a doubt!
From one extremely satisfied traveler! Muchas gracias y bon apetit.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is our favourite steakhouse - consistently great. Worth every cent! The waitrons are excellent - attentive without being 'in your face' - and they are very knowledgeable about the menu. All the food is good - not only the steaks.