“Relaxed dining”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Visited this restaurant several times over a three month period and was never disappointed. Service always good and the menu choice interesting if a little limited. Sunday lunch was very good indeed. The place has a nice relaxed atmosphere and the staff were always attentive and friendly.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

This was possibly my favorite restaurant in the Southern Suburbs - it had consistently good food, was well priced and had a nice unpretentious vibe but sadly it has suffered a spectacular fall from grace. On my last (and final) visit I ordered one of my favorites, the French Dip and confirmed with the waiter that the roast beef must be rare and was assured that it would be. Upon arrival, the beef were brown/leathery/dry (plus there were only 2 measly slices of meat!) and the baguette was obviously old and they had tried to hid the fact by sticking it under the grill (resulting in it being burnt!). Accompanying my leather strips and burnt baguette were chips that were soggy/oily and the dipping gravy was watery - horrendous! In futile attempt to salvage my meal, I ordered the profiteroles - also awful! They were also old/dry and for some reason filled with ice cream (not mentioned on the menu) which just made them taste even drier! The service has always been a bit hit and miss (this is Cape Town after all) but it was always the food that brought me back again and again. This time around however, the food was so bad that I am embarrassed that I previously raved about this restaurant to so many people...I just hope none of my friends pay heed to my recommendations! Stay away, you are better off cooking your dinner yourself...

2  Thank Liam G
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We have been to this restaurant a few times, and have only once had less than awesome service. Our most recent night out we had a fabulous waitress, the food was incredible and the restaurant is not too noisy to be able to have good conversations and hear everyone at the table. The mussels in a cream sauce as a starter or main - is unbelievable!!! Well worth it.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is one of our favorite neighborhood restaurants, and for good reason - the food is good, the atmosphere pleasant and the service - well, usually it's good. Today, however, we had the worst service we've had in a very long time. We sat for a long time (maybe 15-20 minutes) after our main courses had been cleared and finally had to ask for a dessert menu. The restaurant was not busy at this time so no excuse. After the menu appeared, it was another 15-20 minutes before we could drag our waiter away from his only other table to demand our bill. There are other good/great restaurants in the area. People come for the food, but they come back for the service. We won't be returning anytime soon.

2  Thank Connotes
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We've enjoyed dining more than once in Societi Bistro in Cape Town so, on a recent visit to Constantia, we were keen to try it's new "sister", Societi Brasserie.
I'm sorry to say that it was something of a disappointment.
Whilst the decor is contemporary and relaxed, the menu was limited and the Brasserie lacked "buzz" or atmosphere. Perhaps this is just the difference between Constantia and Cape Town Central.
In any case, I was expecting more. Our spaghetti was OK but nothing "to write home about".
Societi Brasserie has a way to go before it matches up to its big sister.