All reviews greenhouse restaurant liz mcgrath old trees upgraded to a suite martini bar green house cape town wellness spa camphor trees tasting menu high tea fine dining this wonderful hotel award winning stunning gardens attention to detail special occasion
Selected filters
Reviewed May 15, 2017 via mobile

Excellent service, friendly staff. Warm welcome. Food beautifully prepared and well presented. Very well priced. Beautiful tranquil setting. Lots of attention to detail and waiters made certain you were well looked after. Highly recommend this venue

Trip type: Traveled with family
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2017

Dear Bernadette T

Thank you so much for your feedback, I am delighted that you had a wonderful Mothers Day High Tea and that you were well looked after. I will share these kind words with our team

Reviewed May 8, 2017

This is a very well maintained hotel set in a beautifully landscaped garden.
I loved the decor, wide open spaces and delicate attention to detail. We were surprised to be upgraded - Thank you!
Reception:
Professional, efficient and eager to please. Checking in and out was fast and uncomplicated.
The Concierge area needs to be better positioned.
Rooms:
Smartly decorated in warm tones with loads of packing space and hangers.
Bed was very comfortable with good quality linen
Carpets are scrupulously clean, stain free and actually smell fresh? - I mention this as we have stayed in loads of 5 star hotels with dirty carpets that smell musty. In fact, although this is an old hotel, the carpets throughout are extremely clean!
Appreciated the complimentary mini bar and select wine as well.
Bathroom was also well designed and very clean. Towels were hard. One would expect large, fluffy towels here.
Large bowls of fresh, white freesias completed the job.
House keeping at this hotel is exemplary.
Breakfasts:
Beautifully presented with lots of quality choices. The first morning was chaotic but once the suited manager arrived the following day, the service improved.
Breakfasts arrived hot, well prepared and tasty. Coffee was good quality.
Ambiance in the guest areas is peaceful with truly amazing views.
I loved this hotel - the setting, luxury finishes, attentive staff, quality food...everything.
Having stayed in many upscale hotels in Cape Town often, I would say that this does surpass them all on most levels.
I would stay here again and appreciated the work and effort that goes into running such an establishment.

Room tip: I would assume that all rooms are beautifully designed and set out
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2017

Dear Traveldelightbb

Thank you kindly for your wonderful review of the Hotel, we certainly appreciate all the positive feedback. I am delighted that you found our rooms, dining and service to be exemplary! Thank you too for pointing out some issues that I will investigate and rectify.

I will share this feedback with my staff who will certainly appreciate this positive appraisal and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed May 7, 2017

What a great surprise and treat to spend some days at this magnificent and classy hotel.
I visited with a tour group and had unanimous consensus that this was the best hotel of our 2 week tour. Attention to detail, professional and friendly staff. Breakfasts are an absolute treat with everything imaginable including the most delicious fresh scones (always a measure of class in my books). Dinner equally great food.
Rooms are understated and ooze class and comfort.
Perhaps a bit of a negative is if you have a room overlooking the car park because the staff come off duty around 23:00 to 00:30 and are quite noisy with revving cars and loud talking. To be fair I did not have time to bring this to management attention.
Gardens are really enchanting and it certainly has a country feel situated in leafy Constantia. Once again this is a positive and only has the drawback of being away from town (morning traffic is an issue not regarding noise but from airport to hotel or hotel to town).
I would love to return and just spend a few days not even leaving the grounds.

Room tip: Avoid rooms overlooking car park, noisy staff at very late hours
  • Trip type: Traveled on business

Dear Garth J

Many thanks for your fabulous feedback, I am absolutely delighted that you have rated us as your best Hotel over your two week tour of SA, an accolade indeed! I will follow up with our staff noise leaving the premises and apologies for this interruption.

I am happy that you found our magnificent gardens enchanting and that your dining experiences were fabulous. We too would love you too return and I look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed May 7, 2017 via mobile

I spent a long weekend at The Cellars-Hohenhort recently. It was the most restful experience. The food at the Conservatory restaurant was excellent. I had no need to leave the estate at all. The gardens are beautifully landscaped with lots of paths to walk. My room was upgraded to a suite on my arrival (a pleasant surprise). The on site Spa was an added bonus and the staff were amazing.
The entire staff at the hotel went out of their way to make me feel welcome and comfortable.
The estate and hotel buildings have a rich history.
I will definitely be back :)

Trip type: Traveled solo

Dear sumeiyap

I am absolutely delighted that your weekend stay with us was wonderful, thank you so much for your kind comments, I will be sure to share them with our staff. I am so please you made use of our Spa as well as enjoyed your dining in The Conservatory.

I look forward to welcoming you back!

Best wishes

Reviewed May 2, 2017

If you are looking for a treat, don't drive past - simply one of the best experiences on the Constantia wine route. The grounds and the hotel are well kept, the staff are friendly and attentive,m and the dining options are superb. You will get whisked away to relaxation on a cloud of luxury. Yes , its expensive, but its worth it.

• Trip type: Traveled with family

Dear Carla G

Many thanks for your wonderful review. I am delighted that you had a fabulous time at the Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back