“Excellent”

The Cellars-Hohenort
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Constantia
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have just spent a week at the Cellars- Hohenort and found it to be an excellent experience. The staff were cherry, friendly and courteous, the setting is absolutely wonderful and the boutique style accommodation is warm and welcoming, and not at all tacky as many hotels can be. The food was absolutely sumptuous whichever restaurant ate in and at whatever time of day. I would highly recommend the Cellars-Honehort.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
JoMassie, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Thank you for posting this wonderful review. We are delighted that you chose The Cellars-Hohenort for your recent stay in Constantia and that you enjoyed all that our property has to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Cape Town.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Just a note to say that it has taken me 4 contacts (web site contact us form, 3 phone calls to reservations) with the hotel in five days to 1) book a room for this week-end and 2) get a retaurant booked for my husband's Birthday. Either no response at all (web site contact) or they tell me they will call me back....and then South-African style...you never get a call back.

Hope the service once you get a booking is better than the pre-sales. It is just exhausting. And I still don't know if I have a booking this evening. So i guess i must go elsewhere. Pity.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 790Emi790
JoMassie, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. I have addressed your issue with my team to ensure that this never happens again.

I am, however, delighted that we were able to assist with your reservation on Saturday in The Greenhouse and I hope you and your husband had a wonderful experience.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I am the kind of person who prefers an intimate boutique hotel to a big glitzy one. Cellars- Hohenort, which is tucked away in the Constantia Valley, was just my ticket. This mellow Relais & Chateaux property oozes with charm and subtle elegance.

Except for the sound of birds, it is quiet on the inlaid brick paths that twist and turn around the property. They meander passed a rose garden, a cook’s garden, stately old trees and lush greenery.

All of the rooms, each different, have a lovely view of the landscaping, the mountains and the landscaping. My spacious accommodation had a huge bathroom. After my shower, it felt so good to step out onto a heated floor and wrap myself in a large heated towel.

The inn has two restaurants - the Greenhouse, which is considered the best in South Africa, and the Conservatory. Both overlook the gardens. Unfortunately, the Greenhouse was closed on the night we were there. But, The Conservatory was wonderful. Their Caesar salad, with its subtle dressing, lots of bacon and crunchy croutons was probably the best Caesar I have ever tasted. My slow-roasted duck was succulent and delicious. And, my chocoholic husband had his cravings satisfied with the decadent three chocolate dessert.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
JoMassie, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post this wonderful review. I am delighted you so enjoyed your stay with us, especially the peaceful setting of our property and your experience in The Conservatory Restaurant. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Staff were sweet. Beautiful grounds. Spa excellent. Room dull, small. Wifi not working. DVD player not working. Room service menu small and food terrible. Felt like the only person in the hotel which was a bad thing. No attention to detail. Charged for water with breakfast. No breakfast buffet. Checked out early. Furnishings tasteless and dull. Not good for solo travelling. Certainly not 5 star quality. They did deduct the one room service item I ordered in an attempt to placate me which was appreciated.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank JanaM777
JoMassie, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time with us but we value your comments and they are all being addressed. It is unfortunate that you were with us at such a quiet time of year and experienced a fierce Cape storm but I am pleased to hear that you did enjoy our spa and beautiful gardens.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

On Women's Day we made a last minute booking for afternoon tea. Upon arrival we were met by the Maitre De and even though I mentioned us having a booking she didn't really check the details and took us through. A gorgeous setting and just what we needed. Our order of beverages was taken and we indicated we wanted to have a stand of the tea offerings. This was acknowledged and after finishing our beverages there was still no sign of the treats or communication around it. I kind of figured what had happened. The unexpected walk-ins consumed the staff and communication took a dive. I went to the front area and informed the lady there who was the one I initially saw at the front desk who gave us a hearty welcome into the building. She listened well and took charge! I loved her sense of immediately wanting to rectify this and got straight onto following through,apologising and then communicating feedback and delivering the treats. A great recovery. Both the sweet and savoury bits were delicious and then we ended off the gorgeous afternoon with a stroll through the beautiful gardens.
Definately worth a visit!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Sue4680
JoMassie, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you for your valued feedback. Despite the initial delay, it is very good to hear that you enjoyed your afternoon and high tea with us. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

After 4 days we realize we need about three or four weeks to do everything we would like in Cape Town. This hotel is perfectly located for access to all the little beach communities along False Bay. The staff is very friendly and accommodating, although we visited during the off-season and the hotel was not at all full. The gardens would be lovely to see in bloom but still enchanting in the early spring. Definitely one of the best hotel experiences we have had anywhere in the world. We would love to come back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Doug C
JoMassie, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to Cape Town and The Cellars-Hohenort Hotel. Thank you for taking the time to post your positive comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future, when the gardens are in full bloom.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I was lucky enough to spend a night in this unique Relais Chateux property not so far from Cape Town. The room overlooked the garden and was uniquely designed. Some rooms have access to the swimming pool. The whole complex is an oasis of green and serenity and just perfect for a total unwind. It is a pity we were there only for one night. The dinner was grand and although a touch expensive, I can say worth it. Ther are 3 options for dining around and te collection of wines in this wine growing region of South Africa is extensive and exquisite. For sure a stay would be uplifting! Unfortunately an early departure meant that we could not have our breakfast.

Room Tip: all unique rooms with their own individuality