This was a wonderful experience, the hotel is a gem. Check in was friendly and efficient. Nice to have a welcome drink as we checked in straight from the airport after an overnight flight. As our room was not ready yet, we were shown without prompting, to a small room which had a sitting area and bathroom where we could shower and change. Just what we needed.
For a standard room our accommodation was a reasonable size and well appointed. There was a small patio area outside the room, though I think not all standard room have these. The hotel is in two buildings, The Cellars, and the Hohenort. The latter has a heated swimming pool and views over the small vineyard. It also houses the Cape Malay restaurant. The Cellars where we stayed has an unheated pool in a pleasant secluded area.. The reception, bar and main restaurant are also in this building. The gardens were well kept and pleasant to stroll through, though unfortunately past their best being late in the season. All the staff were helpful and efficient.
We tried both restaurants during our stay. The main restaurant, The Greenhouse was excellent, it was busy (always a good sign) and service efficient. The food was some of the best we have had in South Africa. The Cape Malay was more informal and the food good. Breakfasts were very good, lovely fruit and nice cooked breakfast, served on the terrace. As befits the Cellars, no ordinary birds looking for crumbs, a Peacock strolled out of garden and wandered around.
The hotel is situated is a wooded residential area on the slopes of table mountain and very near the Kirtenbosch Botanical Gardens. The journey round to Cape Town takes only 20-30 minutes on dual carriageway roads fro most of the distance. The airport is a similar distance.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Cape Town's historical Constantia Valley, on the breathtaking slopes of Table Mountain, all the rooms and suites of The Cellars-Hohenort boast panoramic views of the impressive mountain and the beautiful grounds. Set in 9.5 acres of world renowned and award winning gardens, this historic and beautiful country escape in the city offers guests far more than just incomparable scenery. Surrounded by top wine producing farms and some of South Africa's most popular restaurants,you will find so much to do and a mere fifteen minute drive to Cape Town City center & Waterfront. Back at the hotel there are two award-winning dining experiences, including Greenhouse, where cuisine focuses on regional flavors with modern interpretations. All of this is the result of owner Liz McGrath's more than twenty years of hard work, love and endless inspiration. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cancelon, Expedia, getaroom.com, Priceline, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Cellars-Hohenort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cellars-Hohenort Hotel Constantia
- Cellars Hohenort Constantia
- Cellars Hohenort Hotel Constantia
- The Cellars-Hohenort Constantia, Cape Town, South Africa