“Wonderful old South African setting”

Jonkershuis Restaurant at Groot Constantia
Ranked #6 of 42 Restaurants in Constantia
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Jonkershuis Constantia is nestled in the historic core of the Groot Constantia Wine Estate next to the historic Manor House and surrounded by ancient oak trees. Your first impression is dominated by sweeping views across the oldest wine producing vineyards in South Africa, down the valley to the enveloping coastline of False Bay. This family owned and managed bistro boasts a diversity of locations from private dining grandeur, to intimate interior fire side dining, to typical Italian village gatherings in their vine covered courtyard to family style lunches on their front lawns, were children can safely play reminiscent of a bygone era.. Partner Chris Coetzee, a father of two energetic young sons says, "Our close proximity and strong association with Iziko Museums is very important to me, it is a privilege for my children to be raised surrounded by so much of their heritage." The rich cultural history of Jonkershuis lends a magical and old world charm to any occasion held at the beautiful Jonkershuis. Tammy Botbyl (partner), "The strong legacy of history and tradition has inspired many couples to share their vows here and celebrate their union in style. It is a privilege for us to be part of the beginning of so many new legacies."
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Wonderful old South African setting”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We had lunch at Jonkershuis following a tour of the wine cellar at Groot Constantia. It was a rainy, cold day and we were seated near a fireplace so we were cosy and warm. My companion had a tasting plate that had many Cape Malay specialties such as samoosas, bobotie, curry, and yellow rice. It was a good introduction to local eating, but the food was good but certainly not great. I had a salad that was just OK. The setting of Jonkershuis cannot be beat so I would challenge this restaurant to improve the quality of their food.

• Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“AN UNACCEPTABLY BAD EXPERIENCE”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We were recommended to this restaurant. I had not visited the Estate for many years and I noticed that it did not look as pristine as it used to be. We arrived at 7.30pm and there was only one table occupied in the restaurant which is a bad sign. Service was casual and it seems one is expected to lay out the cutlery oneself. We ordered the toasted ciabatta which had some rather dried out tasteless prawns on top with a lot of chopped salad. We then ordered Chicken breasts. Plates arrived with what looked like four chicken breasts on each plate. They were covered in so called Parmesan cheese. Vegetables were described as wilted and the spinach was but not the rest. There was some crisp, but very fatty, fried potatoes. We started to eat the food and could not understand what the flavour was. It then dawned on us that the mushroom sauce must have been cooked in rancid oil and in fact the flavour was so awful we dare not eat it. It actually made us feel sick. A lady who seemed to be in charge apologised and told us that somebody had, earlier in the day, complained about the taste of the dish and they were trying to find out who the supplier was of the mushroom sauce. We assumed that there was nobody cooking in the kitchen and that all the food is supplied by outside people. We were offered a free cup of coffee as compensation. If somebody had complained, and they agreed there was something wrong, why were they still serving it. The horrible taste lasted until the next day. One supposes it is not to be expected that decent food will be served in a place where bus loads of tourists are encouraged to visit. And was the food fit and safe to eat? We very much doubt that it was.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Roger312659
Wemyss Bay
“Didn't match expectations”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Visiting alone while on a wine tour, I thought I'd sit outside and have lunch here. The menu was varied and sounded interesting and I settled myself at an empty table outside and waited to be served. I waited a while before the waiter told me I needed to move as the table was reserved. There was no reserved sign, so I was about to leave, but actually being hungry returned to see if there was anywhere else I could sit. I was shown to a table in the courtyard. I had Yellow Tail fish, which was served with mash potato. The fish was over cooked and although okay and it filled a gap, there was nothing remarkable about it. I finished off with lemon tart, also nice, but not a special meal by any means and I'd not bother going back there. The wine on the other hand was very nice.

• Visited November 2013
Queenstown
“Amazing location”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Wonderful piece of old South Africa. Great views, excellent service but food was of very poor quality. Spent too much on ambiance and dining experience was left behind. Also, renovations continue outside whilst patrons attempt to enjoy a Sunday luncheon...quite disappointing. Not a way to treat tourists from overseas. Had better food on the plane trip home...sad....

• Visited October 2013
Cape Town
“Great setting”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Far and away the most exceptional aspect of Jonkershuis is the setting - amidst historic buildings, under oaks, with views stretching out over the Constantia Valley to the ocean.
I organised a class reunion here in January and the staff were more than happy to assist in helping to create a small and affordable a la carte menu, including wine for the table, from their main menu. We were able to accommodate everyone both in terms of food choice and budget.
The service was good given we were a biggish group, and the food was very tasty.
Jonkershuis is definitely well worth a visit.

• Visited January 2013