“A bit disappointing this time”
Review of Bistro Sixteen82

Bistro Sixteen82
Ranked #3 of 43 Restaurants in Constantia
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Named after the year in which Steenberg was established, Bistro Sixteen82 first opened its doors in 2009, and has been the tapas and bistro-style darling of the dining world ever since. An innovative and interactive wine and food destination, the Bistro sits adjacent to Steenberg’s winery, and spills into its surrounding indigenous gardens with a terraced dining area leading to reflective water features, unfurling into views of the magnificent stone mountains and expansive winelands. The Bistro Sixteen82 menu is a constant evolution, keeping up with seasonal produce and featuring inventive dishes that compliment the finest locally sourced ingredients. With Breakfast, Lunch and late-afternoon Tapas menus to choose from, the Bistro provides fine dining with an inimitable contemporary spirit. Executive Chef, Kerry Kilpin, love to create food which is seasonal, flavourful and bursts with freshness. "My greatest inspirations are derived from significant occasions in my life. On my travels to Thailand I developed a love and passion for Asian food. From shopping at the local food markets to creating my first authentic Thai dish, I was in heaven. You will notice a common thread in what I do and who I am. Love. I cook with love and my food is love." Internationally, Bistro Sixteen82 has been recognised in the list of 20 of the World’s Best Winery Restaurants by Canada’s renowned Wine Access magazine. Locally, listings included prominent mentions in Fleur du Cap’s Top 100 Places; Eat in Cape Town; and EAT OUT’s Best Bistros list.
London, United Kingdom
“A bit disappointing this time”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I love Sixteen82 and went several times last year, so was looking forward to my return. The menu has changed but all still looked very good even though my favourite dish - beef tataki - was no longer there. The setting is beautiful as ever. My starter of tuna tartare was delicious but really small and my main of linefish (yellowtail) was a bit overcooked. The steaks weren't served hot enough and my husband's pasta was also lukewarm/bordering on cold. The steak tartare was lovely but again, tiny with the pork belly special probably the best dish. I was disappointed because every meal I've previously had at Sixteen82 has been spectacular or bordering on it. It still wasn't bad, but didn't stand up by comparison.

St. Petersburg, Florida
“Wine tasting with some starters”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I was visiting Steenberg Winery as part of a recommendation of places to do a tasting, and let me tell you the wine was excellent. I decided that while enjoying a glass that I wold have a starter at the restaurant attached to the tasting room. I can't do a full review on the food or service since I just had one item and was sitting at the bar. But from what I saw, I would go back to try a full coursed meal.

London, United Kingdom
“Great location, well worth a visit”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We visited last year in January and it was so good we went back this trip. Great location in a well designed space. Very nice interior design and with seating inside and out you have good options.
Food simple but very well presented and a great wine selection.

Johannesburg, South Africa
“A very special place in the Cape”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

What a find, and not the normal million mile drive from Cape Town to sample the delights of great food on a wine estate. The food is really good, the wine exceptional and the setting sublime. The perfect setting for a restaurant. We ate outside, the staff are very attentive and friendly, Sean McGuigan made us feel very relaxed and at home. Good service, great food and wine and a wonderful lunch time experience

Buckingham, United Kingdom
“Loved it again”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Been here before but wanted our son and his girlfriend to experience it. We didn't have a reservation. Our hotel had tried earlier in the morning to book us in but no luck. We were passing a little later than expected so popped in on the off chance. We were told a table could be ready in about 30 minutes, would we mind waiting. We were told we could go and sit on the lawn and wait if we wanted to. So, what other way to spend the time waiting for a table than sitting on the lawn with a perfectly chilled bottle of rosé. Bistro 1682 provide picnic blankets and there are umbrellas on the lawn for shade - bliss. After what must have been only 15 minutes we were advised our table was ready. Off we trotted with our bottle of rosé into the restaurant, ordered drinks and that was that. Waitress returned to the table and told us that as we'd purchased the bottle of wine outside the restaurant then they would have to charge corkage - corkage for a screw top bottle - strange! We found this a little unfair as the bottle was purchased only a few metes from our table. Bill arrived, with corkage added and it turns out it would have been cheaper to leave the bottle outside and purchase a fresh one from the table. Grumble over. Please do not let that put you off. The location is stunning, the atmosphere is fun - all sorts of groups of people. Food is excellent, what more could you want really. Corkage for a bottle of wine purchased on site, taken to the table will not put us off visiting again.