“Best food of the holiday!”
Review of Bistro Sixteen82

Bistro Sixteen82
Ranked #3 of 44 Restaurants in Constantia
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Named after the year in which Steenberg was established, Bistro Sixteen82 first opened its doors in 2009, and has been the tapas and bistro-style darling of the dining world ever since. An innovative and interactive wine and food destination, the Bistro sits adjacent to Steenberg’s winery, and spills into its surrounding indigenous gardens with a terraced dining area leading to reflective water features, unfurling into views of the magnificent stone mountains and expansive winelands. The Bistro Sixteen82 menu is a constant evolution, keeping up with seasonal produce and featuring inventive dishes that compliment the finest locally sourced ingredients. With Breakfast, Lunch and late-afternoon Tapas menus to choose from, the Bistro provides fine dining with an inimitable contemporary spirit. Executive Chef, Kerry Kilpin, love to create food which is seasonal, flavourful and bursts with freshness. "My greatest inspirations are derived from significant occasions in my life. On my travels to Thailand I developed a love and passion for Asian food. From shopping at the local food markets to creating my first authentic Thai dish, I was in heaven. You will notice a common thread in what I do and who I am. Love. I cook with love and my food is love." Internationally, Bistro Sixteen82 has been recognised in the list of 20 of the World’s Best Winery Restaurants by Canada’s renowned Wine Access magazine. Locally, listings included prominent mentions in Fleur du Cap’s Top 100 Places; Eat in Cape Town; and EAT OUT’s Best Bistros list.
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We visited Steenberg after a recommendation from our guest house owner. What we found was a stunning, modern building, great wine tasting overlooking the modern water gardens, followed by unquestionably the best food of our holiday! We had sticky pork belly with curried squash purée and an Asian croquette - just amazing! We turned up on the day, booked a table for an hour's time and did a wine tasting, which worked well! We only planned to go for lunch, but the food was so amazing, we decided to make it the main culinary event of the day - highly recommended!

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Bistro 1682, situated on the Steenberg golf and wine estate, some 25 minutes from Cape Town, is a beautiful, modern lively venue. Late afternoon on a summers day is the best time to enjoy an excellent wine tasting before going on to dine at the Bistro. It offers a limited range of sharingg protions of tappas style food accompanied by excellent bread and reasonably priced wine from the Estate. Service is friendly, although a little slow, but this is not a factor as the atmosphere and view encourage leisurely dining and conversation.

If the chef upgraded his menu, was a trifle more adventurous with his food offerings and used more seasonal produce it would be difficult to secure a booking at this popular venue and it could easily move up into the four star category.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We have been both for lunch and the early evening tapas ( well worth while if you are wanting a bite to eat prior to an evening flight home). In particular, we loved the tapas. Pitta bread with shredded lamb, rocket and hummus and tsatsiki (wonderful) and beef tataki also superb.. A great place to meet friends, have a few drinks and a bite to eat. Heartily recommend.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Perfect location within easy reach of Cape Town via several different routes. 1682 is one of my top tips for a meal. On this visit I arrived without a reservation in the middle of the day on the Thursday before the Easter Holiday. A plan was made and my wife and I were seated within a couple of minutes without anyone being inconvenienced. The view form the outside seating is stunning so try to book. Service from this point until we left was some of the best that I have had in the past 5 years.The menu is very varied without being overly long, as is needless to say, the wine list. The quality o f the main meal chosen was exceptional, not to much not to little, and perfectly presented. 1682 is so proud of it's food that it is served on quality crockery, with wine glasses and cutlery to suit, rather than the Chinese rubbish that so many restaurants use. Although you cannot eat the décor this place is brilliantly designed. Modern but still in keeping with the Steenberg vineyard, perhaps with the exception of the modern sculptures on the roadside in. But that's matter of taste. Please excuse the pun. After all this the worry could be the cost. No it's first class value for money.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Friends asked that we meet them for lunch at this restaurant. What a wonderful place! The views are to die for and the food and service are superb. One of the best memories of our visit to South Africa.