“Rated too high. Excellent desserts.”
Review of Greenhouse

Greenhouse
Ranked #2 of 47 Restaurants in Constantia
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A state of the art dining room and cutting-edge kitchen sets the scene at Greenhouse, where produce of the Constantia Valley and the region are presented as culinary creations in an intimate taste space. Here guests are invited on a multi-sensory journey of distinctly South African flavours and hospitality, as they savour and indulge in the delectable creations of Peter Tempelhoff and his team. Greenhouse stretches the boundaries of traditional South African cuisine, brings conceptual creations from the garden, veld and sea to the plate and shares local stories and culinary insights through the dining experience. Expect the unexpected... Greenhouse is where meals translate to memories.
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

I was not impressed by the food. The starter veggies and breads were enjoyable selection as well as the end desserts and sweet touch of a tree of treats. It shows technique however after having visited many of the like I cannot see how this is rated as the best. Excellent plating and finishing touches. The atmosphere is sombre and mellow, with an old cape-Dutch feel. Worth a visit for desserts alone.

1  Thank MadamBK

Reviewed December 10, 2013

We visited Cellars Hoenhort for a meal in the Greenhouse Restaurant and decided to try the seven course Vegetarian Tasting Menu, whist we are not vegetarians we have taken this option at a number of restaurants in recent years as chefs seem increasingly interested and creative.
Our experience at the Greenhouse did not disappoint. Many of the dishes were quite complex combining a variety of flavours but each was well balanced in taste and texture. Successive dishes whilst varied combined to form a coherent dining experience free from gimmicks; good food beautifully presented.
As I was driving we did not try the wine pairing but enjoyed a very acceptable bottle of Savage white blend, still a young wine but already showing good potential.
Last but not least the service was excellent with Jeffrey taking the lead on our table, but very much a team effort.
This was a memorable experience from a chef clearly at the top of his game complemented by first class service in an elegant setting.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Absolutely top class food and wine in a beautiful building in a lovely estate. This is Michelin star dining at an attractive price with lovely and attentive staff. I hope to go back some day!

Reviewed November 21, 2013

I read an article about The Greenhouse in Wine Spectator during our stay in Cape Town and knew we must try it that very night. Our meal exceeded expectations and we had the most enjoyable evening from start to finish. We loved the ambiance and whimsical decor. Each course was truly a work of art and everything tasted divine, including the wine. The service was impeccable. It was very nice to meet the chef, Peter, at the end of our meal. He was very humble and gracious. We feel very lucky to have had a chance to visit The Greenhouse and dream of returning again one day.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I had just been to see Sunset Boulevard at the Camps bay theatre,an excellent production,but hardly the most uplifting experience of my life-it is even more depressing than Miss Saigon,which is a remarkable achievement.How is this relevant to the restaurant,well I was certainly ready for a glass of bubbles!!!I will not describe the food in minute detail as there are a number of pleasant surprises that makes this place special.Sarah the front of house lady is warm and engaging and leads you to your table,and is genuinely interested in your day.Joshua the maitre d' asks about dietary no nos to make for a relaxed evening.All I will tell you about the food is I started with a plate of salmon,followed by foie gras,venison and chocolate.That only tells you a fraction of the story.Arthur the sommelier ensures you drink very well as well,the Shiraz I had with the venison was sublime.This really is a top notch restaurant.
I am going to finish though with a comment on one of the most petulant and misbehaved guests it has ever had the misfortune to come across.The man(i cannot in all conscience use the word gentleman) was clearly upset at the table he had been allocated.Rather as I would have done just calling someone over someone and saying "can we have another table" as I would have done,he made an exhibition of himself,and used language that was utterly unacceptable anywhere let alone in a beautiful restaurant.Sarah just kept incredibly calm and after his had flung the chair across to the table he wanted to sit at just she calmly brought the menus.I hope the man wakes up feeling utterly embarrassed and has the good grace to apologise.I think the bookies would be offering very long odds against this happening!!
Millions would give their eye teeth to eat in a restaurant like this,and as I said to the guy(I could not let it pass without comment)"manners cost nothing."
This is a truly wonderful place to spend an evening with first rate food and wine,and top notch service.
Kendal Mint