“High-end Gourmet, High-end Ambience”
Review of Greenhouse

Greenhouse
Ranked #2 of 44 Restaurants in Constantia
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A state of the art dining room and cutting-edge kitchen sets the scene at Greenhouse, where produce of the Constantia Valley and the region are presented as culinary creations in an intimate taste space. Here guests are invited on a multi-sensory journey of distinctly South African flavours and hospitality, as they savour and indulge in the delectable creations of Peter Tempelhoff and his team. Greenhouse stretches the boundaries of traditional South African cuisine, brings conceptual creations from the garden, veld and sea to the plate and shares local stories and culinary insights through the dining experience. Expect the unexpected... Greenhouse is where meals translate to memories.
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I found this restaurant through TripAdvisor and when I arrived in Cape Town and was chatting with locals, they echoed the same opinion: The Greenhouse is NOT to be missed if you have the opportunity to dine there. They were right! The Greenhouse specializes in a set seasonal menu (both carnivore and vegetarian options are available) that is 4 courses (incl. dessert) and if I recall correctly, I had about 4 or 5 choices for each course.

When I arrived and was greeted by the hostess, she greeted me by name (presumably because I was dining alone and was probably her only solo reservation at that time) and immediately took me to "my" table - it was already set for one person and there was no wait whatsoever. The service attitude was clear from the get-go... whatever you want/need, when you want/need it, right away. A server approached me literally as I was scooting in my chair and asked if I would care for water, and as he left, a second server delivered a wine list. My water arrived after less than a minute, and no sooner had it been set down, the Maitre D' came by the table to introduce himself and personally welcome me to the restaurant. He walked me through the menu and made several suggestions based on my personal taste. Artisan bread with fancy herb- and tea-infused butters and complimentary amuse bouche were delivered to my table while I waited for my first course - which was not long, nor was the wait for any other course. they watch you carefully (but not in a creepy way) to time your courses.

The food was superlative, and I don't use that term lightly. The combination of ingredients was creative far beyond my imagination, the flavors were out of this world, the presentation was incredibly dramatic (one dish was garnished tableside with liquid nitrogen-bathed citrus breadcrumbs, so that they crackled and sizzled while creating little clouds of fog floating on the plate...) and just the right portions. I honestly would rank this meal as one of the top 4 or 5 I have ever had in my life, and in terms of a true culinary EXPERIENCE - wow, unbeatable.

The best thing about this menu is that, at least by American standards, it is shockingly cheap at only R465.00 (less than $50 as of May 2013). I have paid more than that for a single-course meal in high end restaurants in New York and Los Angeles.

3  Thank Chris S
There are newer reviews for Greenhouse

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Nothing like a good old-fashioned surprise.
I had no idea we were coming to the Greenhouse for dinner for our 3 year anniversary so when we hit the dark curvy roads of Rhodes Drive my heart lept a little.

It sort of kept leaping all night; not merely because the love of my life sat dreamily gazing, next to me.

To begin with, the interior of this restaurant is, well, perfect. Light bounces from candles into mirrors and windows, subtly, gently. Exquisite little flower arrangements on ever table next to simple but elegant cutlery and crockery. Rabbit statues and miniature trees stand silently, watching you enter and never seem to take their eyes off you. I am certain they contain micro-sensors that connect your taste-bud pleasure-levels to the kitchen. It is a little like walking into a secret in-door garden called wonderland.

Just as I got Alice out of my mind, Dustin appeared. Frankly, he could have come straight out of the film. Warm and humorous, kind and professional. Whoever pulled him out of housekeeping into the Greenhouse deserves a medal. With super-professional Arthur every step behind, I was thrilled to note that there is actually a restaurant in Cape Town that has superb staff. Well done to ya'll.

And the food, well, we ate stars last night. Stars that crackled and popped, that surprised and delighted, that crossed orient and occident, new and old, classic and funky. Every arrival an art-piece in the way it was carefully presented and managed to tickle a multitude of tastebuds; even emotions and memories of journeys to far-off places. After the starter-before-the-starter my boyfriend said he was so impressed he could go home now. I managed to convince him to stay. And more stars arrived. On big plates and little plates, round and square, wood and glass; even a birds nest adorned this lovely affair.

Ok, I should stop now. This is a way of saying thank you for being the first restaurant in Cape Town to truly go all the way in pleasing me, us. Every aspect of our evening with you was perfect; the effort and love and creativity that went into every mouthful was appreciated, savored and will be remembered for many years to come.

p.s. pity about the Sanlam Senior Management team's behavior and noise levels which did leave a bit of a bitter taste but nothing the stars didn't obliterate soon after.

2  Thank Friederike B
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by our Hotel and was not a disappointment. Great food and with this exchange rate (£1 = 15ZAR) - a bargain. Nice atmosphere with good attention to detail, tables thoughtfully placed to be romantic. Great choice!

2  Thank SpencerL1
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We had the fish tasting menu. Amazing! Dip with bread was a work of art. I'm allergic to mango so they happily changed one of the courses. We did wines with each course and they were big portions! A great place to celebrate a special occasion.

2  Thank Emma26Oxfordshire_UK
Reviewed June 6, 2013

What a great experience!! Really a sunning place to have you meals!! Wonderful atmosphere , delicious food and great wine selections!! My friend and I will definitely be back to visit this place again soon!!

2  Thank lara v