“Wonderful meal”

Scotland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful meal”
Reviewed December 10, 2009

We had a wonderful meal here overlooking the mountains and vineyards -there were three table d`hote menus to choose from or a seasonal a la carte asparagus menu. We enjoyed beautifully presented amuse bouches; and my husband is still raving about asparagus soup which he had for a starter ! The main courses were excellent and the highlight of the meal as far as I was concerned was the six chocolate pudding - it was to die for! One of the best meals we had in South Africa (and we had some great ones !)

Lake Tahoe, CA, USA
“Food with a view”
Reviewed October 25, 2009

Altho we had great trouble with the name, we had no trouble with the food, wine or view at Buitenverwachting. It is a wonderful lunch venue, with views over the vineyards to the mountains. The 3 course lunch with a carafe or either house red or white wine was a great value. dishes that stood out were the grmmeln with pan fried bsby gem and porcini mushrooms, the springbok with hanepoot chutney and celeriac puree and the malva pudding (yummy!).

Hummelstown, pa
“Dissapointing at the least”
Reviewed September 29, 2009

In looking for great restaurants we were told this would be a great place. Tour guide told us the service was very slow. We chose to try it as it was close to our hotel. Four people and my dinner was the one that got lost in the shuffle. Had a very nice wine and good appetizers. I ordered the steak and as it was delivered the waiter came to the table to wish us a good meal. My steak was not cooked as ordered and covered in a sauce I didn't care for. I waited for the waiter to come back to the tbale to tell him and it never happened. I tried tomake eye contact but that was to no use. At the very end of the three others finishing there meal she finally came to the table and asked how the meal was. I told her it was not to my liking but, by now, everyone else was done. We all agreed the food was medicore at best. Not recommended. Go to La Colombe for a "to die for" experience instead.

1 Thank HJPofi
Minnesota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,435 helpful votes
“Great restaurant in a scenic location”
Reviewed March 10, 2009

I ate at this restaurant for dinner during my stay in Cape Town, it was probably the best one I dined at during the week. Perhaps the most memorable moment wasn't the meal but the setting, I felt like I was driving through the French countryside with rolling pastures and cows munching on grass alongside the road.

The service and food were quite good. I had an asparagus degustation menu, which despite my initial misgivings (you mean every course has asparagus in it?) was quite tasty, with a nice wine pairing to boot. The pan fried entrecote with bernaise sauce was the best dish by far.

Recommended for those who want to escape the city life with a bit of style.

Washington D.C.
“Not a good value”
Reviewed March 6, 2009

This restaurant was highly recommended to us by friends who have been there before. It is in a beautiful vineyard with a nice garden and everything. Nice setting and delicious house wines but I did not find the food impressive at all. Service was very attentive but very slow. It took us 3 hours to have lunch - and I'd rather have spent it on something better.

They served us a 3-course fix menu with wine. Starter course was very good. Main courses (some sort of game meat) were average to good. And finally the desserts were a huge dissapointment. For ~R300+tax and extras (absolutely the highest price one can ever pay for food in SA), I think we could do better.

1 Thank Rusen