“Diabolical Service for mediocre, expensive food!!!”
Review of Simon's Restaurant

Simon's Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 42 Restaurants in Constantia
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Nestled in the fertile Constantia Valley lies a 300-year old wine estate, Groot Constantia and on it, Simon's restaurant, where we celebrate the riches of the Cape winelands by transforming the freshest ingredients into memorable meals. Revel in the Cape Town summer by dining al fresco on our terrace with panoramic views of the Groot Constantia vineyards. Savour the wines of the valley or enjoy our wide selection of craft beers. As the weather turns, join us inside where we like to light a giant fire on chilly days
Tanzania
“Diabolical Service for mediocre, expensive food!!!”
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I went to Simons on one of my visits to Cape Town in May 2009 and had a lovely dinning experience here. So I decided for my birthday I would take my parents who were visiting from another country and a couple of friends of mine for lunch there. It was a Saturday and really busy but this I don't see as an excuse giving the events that went just made our experience.....well we will not EVER be returning.

We had a lovely table under the big tree in the garden and as I manage lodges for my profession and am a qualified chef by profession I am aware of good service and I am also aware that when it is busy things might happen a little slower but it is a Saturday afternoon and we were having a few drinks so were not in the hugest of rushes.

There was 6 people in my party and our waitress took our drinks order, 5 drinks arrived and one of the drinks was a warm beer, so my friend asked for a cold beer and the waitress said I will bring you a glass of ice - I don't think so! Had to find the waitress to get my other friend her drink. We made the stupid mistake of asking for a few minutes before we ordered.....off to find the waitress again. Found another waiter who took half the order and then our waitress came and took over. I asked for the fish and chips but I asked for veggies instead of salad as she said the salad was tomatoes, lettuce and cucumber. I am not a fan of tomato which I explained to her so at first it was not possible but then after some convincing it was alright. Veggies came and it was cherry tomatoes, courgettes and carrots, so it did kind of defeated the object of changing from salad. There were so many small things which just started adding up, food not arriving at the same time, waiting 45 mins for a plate of chips, the food was very mediocre definitely not of the standard that it was when I visited previously.

SO you may be thinking these points might not really qualify for a 1 star review....well our bill came to about R630 and we left about a R32 tip as the service just did NOT warrant a 10% plus tip and I am a generous tipper, if I get good service I am more than happy to pay for it but this was by far good or friendly service. The waitress came and found me and told me I did not leave enough money for a tip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enough said!!!!!! There are far better restaurants in cape town where you will receive good service but Simon's is not one of them. I am sad to think how low the standards have become since previous. After my experience speaking to a lot of Capetonians they have all said why did you waste your time with such a shocking restaurant!

• Visited March 2011
2 Thank AfricanDayDreamer

“A great family restaurant.”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Our family went looking for somewhere to enjoy an outdoor meal at lunchtime. The service was rather nonchalant, but the food we had made up for it. Prices were average for this part of town. I look forward to going back.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed July 15, 2011

Great location summer or winter. Good for adults and kids but we have had hit and miss food. Perhaps better for lunch when kids can run around and adults can enjoy some wine and the ambience with not too much depending on the food.

1 Thank Noashcloudplease
cape town
“worst burger ever”
Reviewed January 24, 2011

Chicken tough, bun not too fresh. No response from management. truly disappointing!

• Visited January 2011
1 Thank a-non-a-mouse1
Cape Town
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Appalling!”
Reviewed February 21, 2010

I ordered slow roast lamb on the theory that you can't mess that up - I was wrong. It had the texture of asbestos wadding, and perhaps the same taste.

When I called the manager - he agreed with me, saying that this was processed meat (!), and it shouldn't be on the menu

He did replace it with an OK lamb shank. But walking through the restaurant I saw many other picking DESPONDENTLY at the same dish.

DO NOT GO TO THIS PLACE.