“Absolutely Amazing. Worth Every Penny”
Review of La Colombe

La Colombe
Ranked #1 of 55 Restaurants in Constantia
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: La Colombe, one of Cape Town's most well-loved and awarded restaurants. Contemporary French-meets-Asian fine dining.
Reviewed May 7, 2019 via mobile

I found La Colombe when Trip Advisor announced it was rated #6 in the world by travelers. We had a trip planned to Cape Town, so I knew we had to try this restaurant. From the minute we walked in we were pleasantly surprised, starting with the palate cleanser right at the door, the view in the restaurant, and every plate served to us. The staff was friendly and very knowledgeable on the food and the wine. Our friend chose the limited menu and she regretted it. I would highly recommend the full menu with the wine pairing. It was worth every penny. I will 100% visit La Colombe again if we return to the area.

(We almost ate the fish before taking a picture. So if you notice the break in the fish, that was from us).

Date of visit: April 2019

Reviewed May 6, 2019

A few weeks ago I was in Cape Town for my graduation ceremony at UCT. I’ve been studying part time for a few years through UCT so I’ve been very fortunate to be a frequent visitor of one of my very favourite cities. Finally all the hard work of my studies paid off and I had made arrangements to fly down for a long weekend of celebrations. One of the very first planned foodie experiences was at La Colombe. My benedict had surprised me with a booking (weeks ahead) and treated me to a lunch tasting menu at La Colombe as my graduation gift. La Colombe is situated on the Silvermist estate in Constantia. It’s listed on the S.Pellegrino’s World’s 50 Best Restaurants as 73rd for 2017 and is the Eat Out Top 10 2016 runner up. Suffice to say, I was more than a little excited to visit La Colombe.

We had booked for the lunch special which is currently running from Monday to Thursday until the end of August (if you can, do yourself a favour and go visit them while the special is still on – it’s an absolute steal). Upon our arrival at the tranquil Silvermist estate, we were escorted to La Colombe. Laid out on the front desk at the entrance of the restaurant, was a beautiful mini garden display and in between all the leafy shrubs were little ‘apple bites’ served to us as pallet cleansers; sweet and refreshing. We were then seated at our table which was next to a window overlooking a gorgeous herb garden. We opted for the Silvermist estate wine to go with our tasting menu; the sauvignon blanc – a lovely choice. To start with we were served a bread and butter dish. The chef came to our table with a hot plate and mixed an array of ingredients including butter, lamb reduction, chopped nuts, dukkah, parsley and a balsamic reduction. As it melted on the plate, the most delicious scent of the lamb was given off – my mouth quite literally filled was saliva! This lamb butter was served with freshly baked bread and it was amazing! I honestly could have eaten an entire loaf of bread with that absolutely delicious lamb butter. For my starter I ordered the prawn and swordfish. It was served with an asparagus, mustard, cucumber and sweet potato puree. This was a really interesting and beautifully presented dish. Once I had finished my dish and cleaned it of all puree, there was a message below from the chef which read “Food is our theatre, hope you enjoy the show”. And I certainly was in for a brilliant show…

For my next course I opted for the barbeque quail served with aubergine, gem squash and coconut. Another great tasting dish; I really loved the quail. The next dish was the tuna ‘La Colombe’. This is one of La Colombe’s signature dishes and very own unique version of ‘tinned tuna’. It is the sweetest looking dish served in a little closed can. I was pleasantly surprised when I removed the lid – a beautiful looking little tuna dish was revealed. And it tasted just as good as it looked. La Colombe offers an optional mystery course entitled ‘Enchanted Forest’ at an additional cost. You are taken into a room behind closed doors (I won’t say too much about the setting so as not to ruin the surprise for anyone else still to visit) and served a scallop dish which is then covered and cooked in a hot broth poured over it. The flavours of the broth were absolutely incredible. It was well worth the additional supplement for the mystery experience. For my main, I selected the beef fillet. This was served with smoked garlic, pickled red onion, peas and broccoli. A delicious and great choice of main course. I chose the strawberry dish for my dessert course. It was strawberries, served with a sorbet and white chocolate. This was absolutely outstanding and truly one of the best desserts I have ever tasted! Loved this beautifully sweet and fresh dessert. To end off our experience at La Colombe, we were served a ‘taste test’. This was a really fun and unique touch to such an amazing tasting menu. We were served five mystery dishes with a list of the five taste sensations; sweet, sour, bitter, umami and salty. Each dish was served in a different coloured bowl and the idea was to match each dish, and corresponding bowl colour, with its respective taste sensation. Let me assure you, it was far more challenging than one would think. I absolutely loved this concept; it’s something truly clever and memorable.

The service at La Colombe was superb and nothing short of what one would expect from a restaurant of this stature. The restaurant has a stunning and spacious layout; a look that boasts a simple, clean and very elegant feel. I thoroughly enjoyed each and every dish from the tasting menu; fantastic food for sure. La Colombe has indeed proven to be the master of food theatre and I most certainly did enjoy the show! It was a very special and memorable celebratory experience. La Colombe is now undeniably one of my favourite restaurants and I look forward to visiting again in the near future.

Date of visit: June 2018
4  Thank Get_In_My_Belly_SA
Reviewed May 6, 2019 via mobile

Had been a while. We were looking to come back after their renovations. Disappointing. Looked much nicer before. Now seems more like a cafeteria. Pity. Food was excellent as usual. The oyster could be better. The tuna on grilled lime was sublime. Service very good as usual. A notch above all others. We still enjoyed very much. The interior design could use significant improvement. Recent works were for commercial purposes it seems, but failed to address any aesthetics.

Date of visit: May 2019
1  Thank 486burhans
Reviewed May 2, 2019 via mobile

To our delight there was last minute cancellation that we took up to it immediately. We had a long leisure luncheon of 7 meal course with wine pairings.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed April 29, 2019

A large table with varying dietary requirements, what could go wrong ? Absolutely nothing, is the answer. The team went above and beyond in ensuring all our requirements were met while still delivering the full authentic experience.

The expectations going to such a highly acclaimed restaurant were high, but La Colombe managed to surpass all of them .

Service was brilliant. We were looked after by Mark, who was extremely professional, knowledgeable, friendly and attentive. He did an excellent job at creating a phenomenal experience for us.

The food was delicious and not pretentious with great, complex flavours. We all tried the gourmand experience and were a little weary that perhaps the minuscule portion size stigma may be present but this was not the case, The food was abundant and we were stuffed.

Thank you to the team at La Colombe for a delightful culinary adventure. Would 100% recommend this and will return soon :)

Date of visit: April 2019