“Good atmosphere” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Peddlars & Co

Peddlars & Co
Ranked #479 of 1,135 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Bar, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A landmark since 1993, Peddlars has become one of the most recognised and beloved destinations in Constantia. Its casual upscale ambience permeates throughout the venue, which comprises versatile seating and dining in the restaurant, garden and bar areas. Award winning chef, Brad Ball, has brought a new level of culinary excellence with his well-known and sought after cooking style.
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
“Good atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

I have always loved Peddlars but I didn't rate it as highly on my recent visit. I think the Burgers are great but my son had a pie that was inedible. I must say that the management dealt with this very well and therefore no complaints! I haven't tried the new Italian part of the restaurant so I am unable to review that. There is a great atmosphere outside having a glass of whatever you fancy. I still really like the place but there are better places to eat for similar money.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Peddlars goes Italian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

This is our regular start of the holidays, easy for a first night out.

We love the food and the service is great, if that is even too much for you, then join the rest of the crowd in the bar. The barfood is also to die for.

Visited January 2013
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“don't bother”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

We have eaten at this restaurant many times and although it was never mind blowing, it was consistently decent. We went back and found that it had changed. Such a pity. The service was poor and our food was so salty that we couldn't eat it.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Peddlars, Public Relations Manager at Peddlars & Co, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
We are truly sorry that the meal experience was such a disappointment. We are addressing the problems with the flavour you note in your post and will correct our mistakes forthwith. Whilst the change has not suited all tastes, it has certainly been received with an overwhelmingly positive response on the whole. We would very much like you to give us a second chance. Please, at your convenience, contact Shannon - General Manager at 021 794 7747 or email gm@peddlars.co.za.
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Exquisite food and high levels of service in a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

On a blazing hot Cape Town summer’s day, there can be no better place for lunch than the cool interior of Peddlars on the Bend Restaurant.

Perched, as its name may divulge, on a deep bend of the Spaanschemat River Road, Constantia, it is a haven of serenity and shade from the beating sun.

We are seated in the high-ceilinged, light and airy dining room, ceiling fans pleasantly cooling the diners.

The menu, almost exclusively Italian in food content, is beautifully presented with mouth-watering descriptions of the dishes on offer.

Cocktail di Gamberi, a wild prawn, prawn cocktail, called my name, so order it I did and great joy when it arrived. Served in a high stemmed dish, it was packed with huge prawns and a melee of salad. Finely chopped tomatoes, cucumbers and lettuce with the creamiest of avocado, tossed in an unbelievably tasty dressing, this was an interpretation of prawn cocktail that was greatly appreciated.

Having had a rather hectic few days overdoing my steak and red meat intake, fish was an option on the menu that could well rebalance my nutritional diet. Kingklip for me is the king of fish and Kingklip con aglio, olio e pepperoncino, or pan roasted Kingklip fillet with chilli, garlic, white wine and olive oil, was what I was yearning for and ultimately what I ordered. R115 on the menu, served with a side dish of your choice from the menu, not bad at all. Blow the nutrition, I went for chips.

I can only say it was delicious, cooked to perfection, not a bone in sight, just amazing. The flavours all intermingled to create a carnival of taste with the chilli giving a crafty little kick that brought a smile to my face.

Fish of course has that special way of sating your appetite but at the same time leaving you with just enough room for dessert. Boy am I grateful to that Kingklip, the dessert needed space.
I lie not when I say that the dessert recommended to me by the very able waitron, to date has been the most amazing dessert I can remember ever tasting.

Banana e Cioccolato Beignet, Chocolate centred banana doughnuts with cappuccino ice cream, amazing, nothing I could say could describe the absolute deliciousness of this Italian fiesta of flavour.

If anyone wants a wonderful lunch or dinner out, with outstanding food, good service and a great venue, you could do little better than to go to Peddlars on the Bend.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Loughborough, United Kingdom
“What a shame they had to change their style!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

We've been coming to Cape Town for a number of years and always looked forward to going to Peddlars. The lunchtime menu in the garden was our favourite, what a terrible shame when we went there today, the menu has changed, all the good things are gone, crispy beef with ginger - gone, steak tartar - gone. I'd been warned by a friend that it had changed and that he had moved. The one thing that was still n the menu we liked was the supposedly HOT piri piri chicken livers, what happened to the heat, just arrived in a tomato sauce. The calamari was so bland if it hadn't been for the distinctive shape you would have struggled to know what you were eating. I'll be sure to tell the chef said Kerry our waitress, whether she did or not I have no idea, but no further feedback was received by us. Like other reviewers, let me know when you sort out your menu and I'll give you another try, very disappointing been looking forward to my steak tartar for weeks.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Martin D
We are sincerely sorry that the meal experience was such a disappointment to you. We have tried as much as possible to retain our most popular dishes on the new menu, but unfortunately we cannot keep all items. We are addressing all the problems you note in your post and will correct these going forward. We would very much like you to give us a second chance. Please, at your convenience, contact Shannon - General Manager at 021 794 7747 or email gm@peddlars.co.za.