“Absolute favourite restaurant in Cape Town”
Review of Willoughby & Co

Willoughby & Co
Ranked #18 of 1,182 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We come here whenever we are in Cape Town! It is conveniently situated at the V&A - they don't take reservations so expect to stand in a queue as it gets busy. Amazing sushi and japanese cuisine. Had the tempura prawn sushi for starters and teryaki chicken for mains. We spotted Katie Holmes and her daughter Suri here as they were shooting "The Giver" in Cape Town (she also had to stand in the queue! lol:) ) Highly recommended!!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Was really disappointed with the food at Willoughby's tonight.

Am convinced that they gave me a substitute fish tonight and not Kingklip. The fish was rubbery and tasteless something like the consistency of calamari.

Not sure if it us caused by the shortage of fish in Cape Town at the moment. They should be honest and tell the customer it isnt real kingklip.

Service was also pretty awful.

Not sure if I will be back in a hurry.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

First of all, I am a sushi fan and had sushi probably in every city I have been in the last 10 years.
Willoughby is in my top 3 sushi places for sure. Everything is very fresh and they really make great rolls. Try 4x4 roll for sure but all the others are really tasty too. There are just two things they should revise in my opinion, first is the number of pieces, they have 8 pieces for every roll. This prevents you from trying different things if you are 2 people. Second is the size of the rolls, they are a little large and you can not eat some of them at once. I guess a little smaller rolls with 6 pieces max would make everything even better. But even with these, this is a must go place in Cape Towb for a sushi person.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

We went to Willoughby & Co as it was close to our hotel and got good reviews. It is in a large mall and is very popular with the locals and considered an institution. We met several nice South Africans waiting in "queue." You wait in line and then get a table an sit in the middle of the mall. This seemed fine for everyone who understood the way the place worked, we were looking for more atmosphere to sit and relax with a glass of wine not I the bright lights of the mall. The food was very good, I had salmon, my husband the sushi. Waiter was very helpful and knowledgeable. Food came quickly.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

This was our first meal in Cape Town and we were not impressed, either with the service (after being seated we waited 10 minutes to be brought a menu!) or with the food. I ordered a mixed plate of seafood and vegetables tempura. There was only one scallop, 2 prawns and 2 calamari on the plate, the rest was zucchini and peppers. The batter was very thick and soggy, not cooked through and nothing like tempura should be. It gave me heartburn, so the oil was probably not good either. Waiter didn't seem to care less about us.