“Details could spoil the meal”
Review of Willoughby & Co

Willoughby & Co
Ranked #30 of 1,257 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We have returned to W. with my wife to have good sushi on a rare dine out evening. We have enjoyed the sushi platters but the rest was average, starting from the tempura mix, the vegetables had a terrible taste of old frying oil, not acceptable. One dessert was suggested by the waiter, mille feuille, it was ok althoug the portion looked like a comfort food rest protion.. I've ordered one of my favourites, creme brulee, I've given it a taste and immediately called the waiter to tell him I could not eat this as it was "fridge cold" and the fat in the creme was solid and unpleasant. He assisted in taking the dessert back to the kitchen to enquire but returned with a sorry note from the kitchen telling me that this is the way this dessert is meant to be serrved. I've sent it back telling him I wouldn't eat it, he could charge me for it if necessary, The creme brulee of course was the first item billed on our slip, no fuss, but I don't see myself going there soon. sorry guys, you have to keep in shape whole menu if you want to retain your position in the industry, or limit the offer to the sushi bar if thsat is your only focus..

1  Thank pedroZA70
Write a ReviewReviews (3,579)

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Sometimes eating on your own at a restaurant can be intimidating.
This is not the case at Willoughby & Co. You have the option to sit at one of the bars - where you can watch the sushi chefs at their craft, or just watch the world go by.

While the menu is extensive (and there are lots of non-sushi, non-Japanese items), I only ate from the sushi menu. 3 nights in a row! Both the sushi and sashimi are deliciously fresh, and there are great South African wines (or French Champagne!) to match!

Reviewed April 24, 2013

The best sushi/sashimi place in Africa by far. These guys know how to treat fish and fish-lovers alike. Very casual, but very professional. A must visit every time I'm in Cape Town.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

I love sushi but I am very fusy with fish and water taste. I think this was my best so far and I would be back on the next visit to Cape Town.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

You can't book at this restaurant but don't be put off by this or the fact that it is in the waterfront shopping centre. Both times we lunched there we got a table straight away. A casual restaurant and fun to sit at the bar and watch the sushi chefs prepare the food. Extremely popular and justifiably so, as the menu is extensive and food great with service to match. The owner, who has had the restaurant for some years talked to us and it is obvious his attention to detail has much to do with it's success. The baby langoustine and specially made unagi sushi (not on the menu) were delicious, washed down by a great rose. It was one of our favourite restaurants in Capetown and we have already recommended to a number of people we have met on our travels. A thoroughly enjoyable experience and one not to be missed.