“Good food for when you're shopping.”
Review of Willoughby & Co

Willoughby & Co
Ranked #29 of 1,228 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed April 19, 2013

The V&A Waterfront is the premier shopping attraction in Cape Town and as you can imagine has dozens of restaurants of all types and price levels.
Willoughby's is a sea food/sushi restaurant that's routinely packed and where you queue to get a seat...but the queuing is short and we got a glass of wine to taste while waiting.
We had sashimi, mussels and gnocchi and it was perfectly fine. The Sauvignon Blanc went well at a fair price.
There's no point in complaining that this is not 5 star fine dining because fine dining restaurants don't operate in shopping malls but if you're shopping or visiting the cinema then this is a decent place to eat at the sort of prices that you'd expect in such a location.
The fact that plenty of locals eat there tells you everything you need to know.
We'll be back...and by the way, we're locals who know the area and spend our money carefully.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,449)

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Surprisingly good food for the location. compared with most restaurants at the waterfront, we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. it easily surpassed what was available in the more formal, sit-down, supposedly "nicer" restaurants at the V&A. worth checking out. would go again.

Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

If you are a real sushi eater this place will not live up to your expectations. We are spoiled with great sushi places and was expecting so much more based on the reviews. Don't believe the hype! The rice is under seasoned and tastes likes it was made days before. We ordered the maki roll topped with rock shrimp, tempura roll and avocado and salmon roll. The rock tempura was smothered in their version of spicy mayo, which tasted like plain mayo that was oranged colored. The other rolls tasted like grocery store bought sushi and didn't seem fresh. Since we barely put a dent in the sushi, my husband ordered the chicken teriyaki...it was not good. We should have known what we were getting ourself into when we sat down to eat food in the middle of the mall.

Out waiter was lovely and that's the only reason why I'm rating this place a 2 overall.

1  Thank AJ J
Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

For all who like this place... Don't know good sushi
This is my opinion only so... Let me start by saying at these prices it's not worth the money. I've lived in Vancouver BC that has the best sushi and I've eaten a whole lot of sushi. I've lived in LA which good sushi places are rare but good. I. Will never pay this much fobr mediocre sushi again. Anyone who prides there culinary skills this much should know the first thing about sushi is rice. It should never be mushy. After just a bite of our rolls I didn't want to order anymore. The miso soup was too salty for my taste but if it was less salty it would have been perfect. The beef tataki was ruined with all the sauce poured on top. Even if you have wanted to taste the beef it was drowned in saltiness instead of a nice light Ponzu dressing. The sashimi tuna was a little on the room temp side.The one good thing that was good was strawberry juice which is fresh but i didnt come for the juice. Our server was good and food came out a reasonable time.
I did not want to be disappointed from the great reviews but I was. So take this with a grain of salt. I would not be so opinionated but it has to be said. And if you have been where I've been I'm sure you would agree

1  Thank Isacameth
Reviewed April 15, 2013

You wouldn't think that this busy jam-packed restaurant in the middle of the entrance of the V&A mall, with shops around, would be such a prized restaurant for sushi lovers and yet it is! Popular among locals (you can see the queue all the time) and for people who love sushi and want only the best. Fresh salmon and tuna, simply amazing. Do try their grilled baby soles, I go crazy for these they are very very very delicious! I also saw one of their dishes with ginger, it was teppanyaki and smelled amazing and looked so good, next time I go there I will try it.