“Great Sushi”

Good for: Families with children
London, United Kingdom
“Great Sushi”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

If you don't mind waiting for a table (very popular spot) you will be treated with great fish dishes. The sushi is great. The menu is varied enough to satisfy most folks. Definitely worth a visit next time you are at the Waterfront.

• Visited December 2012

• Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Missed the point”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We've been before and for what it is we used to think
it above average. Our last visit and I mean our last visit was so mediocre compared with everywhere else we have enjoyed so much on this trip I can't understand why it remains so busy. We had lukewarm fish with lentils and Cape Salmon that could have been used to 'sole' shoes had it not been served for dinner. Service was very patchy and we had to ask for several omissions to be corrected. There are too many other good places to return. A big disappointment.

• Visited January 2013
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“Best sushi anywhere”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This is an outstanding restaurant by any standards. The sushi is the best I've ever had, including in Japan. The restaurant is very, very busy, especially on weekend lunchtimes as when I went (Sunday). Nevertheless, a short wait in the queue, assisted by a free glass of wine while I waited, and a chat with the folks in front of me, soon had me, as a sole diner, seated at the bar. The advantage of this is that you can watch the food being prepared, and maybe get inspiration for what you want to eat. I don't give 5s lightly - Willoughby's really deserved it. Quality and variety of food is remarkable, and if you're not a sushi fan, there's plenty of choice.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Richard L
Cape Town
“Superb”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I was a bit hesitant to go to a place inside the mall. When we then had to queue for 30 minutes I was very hesitant. But boy was it worth it. The sushi is superb. I can't wait for my next visit for the rainbow reloaded!

Visited December 2012
Cape Town
“Favourite sushi spot anywhere”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

The sushi is awesome. The Japanese food is awesome. Apparently the rest of the food is amazing too. And it's consistently great.

This is hands-down our favourite sushi place and the long queues outside at popular times suggest we're not alone. The queue moves quickly (as tables and sushi counter spots turn over pretty quickly too) and often the wait is accompanied with free tastings of wine. Worth the wait for sure.

The sushi counters are fun and bustling and full of energy, which makes up for the lack of views (the restaurant is inside the V&A Waterfront rather than outside with views of the sea and sunlight). The tables are rather more "in the shopping mall" and isn't my idea of a great location.

Service is usually good, but at busy times when waitrons get a little overworked some slips do happen. Food is brought as it is ready so it is always freshly made within the last couple of minutes and doesn't sit around for ages.

A review of Willoughby's wouldn't be complete without saying it isn't cheap. Generous al a carte orders of sushi for two and a glass of sparkling wine each easily gets to ZAR600 (Summary 2012/2013 prices).

Try the Rainbow Reloaded, the 4x4, Age Dashi Tofu, Harumi and consistently excellent Salmon Roses.

Consistently excellent sushi.