“Gave me the WORST FOOD POISONING EVER!!”
Review of Jewel of India

Jewel of India
Ranked #481 of 1,226 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We at the Jewel Of India have tried to trace the origin adapt and prepare cuisines and regional delicacies that are today a part of every memorable feast. Pulao, naan, grilled kebabs, samoosas and the use of tandoori ovens were typical of the Uzbeck cuisines. The cuisines is said to have found its way to North India with Baber and his contemporaries. Over the year the descendants who grilled in India refined and elaborated upon this cuisine, adding to the species and adapting its local cooking methods to create what we know called Mughlal or Frontier Food. In tracking back the origin, we at JEWEL OF INDIA try to revive and maintain these glorious culinary traditions of old in an ambiance best suited for today’s world. The warmth of the décor, the note of hospitality and the sheer culinary skills, make JEWEL OF INDIA unforgettable experience
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

What can i say other than that i was ill for 24 hours after eating at this place. Had the worst food poisoning ever from their Chicken Korma (which was not nice at all and it was very hot even though it clearly stated it would not be). Avoid if you know whats good for you!

2  Thank Ricadelon

Reviewed March 19, 2013

So I read the reviews but had to go anyway. I tried to keep an open mind. At best the service was ok as was the food. Nothing special. Basic sort of Indian food toned down for the tame palate. Prices are not excessive. All in all I would not rush there but would not avoid it
Note that they have moved from the waterfront to bokaap, cnr of wale and rose. They are also now halal. No alcohol

1  Thank Capie_Tours
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Gosh, what an absolute let down. We went there a week ago and everything was BAD. The service was appaling... From the second I called to make the reservation, I should have known. The person who answered the telephone was very impolite. He then called someone else to make my reservation. When we arrived, the usual waiters were nowhere to be found. We waited 20 minutes for our drink orders to be taken, let alone arrive, and when it arrived, we didnt recognize the taste of ANY of our drinks.

Our waitress was South African, but could barely speak English (seriously!). She had no idea how to take orders in a seating restuarant such as this, and was clearly winging it from start to end. We waited for nearly 60 minutes for our food, which when it arrived, was shocking. Nothing tasted like what it used to be. Everyones saying you should avoid the place until its refurbished (which allegedly is planned) but how is a refurbishment going to solve their problems?

If anyone can advise, I am convinced that ownership has changed. If there was a "shocking" review button, I would be the first to press it. From having been one of your biggest fans, I have now become bitter. Quite like the Dhal Curry you served us. #fail

4  Thank LoneTravellerCPT
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Our experience was similar to Halfpint in his report. This looked ok from the outside, was convenient and we needed our 'curry' fix. We were seated at a good table overlooking the V&A...so far so good. The menu mentioned to expect to wait 25 mins for food as it was all cooked to order-so order your drinks while you wait...all good. Open kitchen too.
The waiter tried his best but they were clearly understaffed and he was run off his feet. Firstly, a drinks order of Cobra beer and bottled dry cider from the menu was the first hurdle.....after waiting 5 minutes he came back and said sorry we're out of Cobra and cider. My wife asked if they did Mojitos...after another 5 minutes no they didn't so she settled on dry white wine.
The food was ordered (at least my 2nd choice beer did arrive before my food) and came after about 10 minutes....followed by my wife's wine a little later. The curry sauce was ok but the meat poor and it was one of the worst I've had for some time.
We noticed other people waiting ages for service and the whole experience was poor.
When we paid the bill the waiter explained that it is allegedly closing on 31st January for a 3 month refurbishment...so maybe this explains the lack of stock (running out of Cobra??) and the poor service and quality. For anyone at all who likes and understands Indian food then go elesewhere until the restaurant has been refurbished. I would have given a zero rating but at least the waiter tried....unlike the manager (I presume it was) who spent most of his time wandering about doing apparently very little.

2  Thank david1960uk
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We strolled into this establishment on the basis that it looked busy and had a good view of the harbour. I can only surmise that the place was full of tourists because I doubt anyone who really knows what proper Indian restaurants are like (e.g. Bombay Brasserie at the Taj hotel) would ever patronise this establishment.

Firstly the manager who we spoke to about availability of a table was rude. Once we were eventually seated and hard ordered, the food took an inordinate time to arrive. Service was sloppy and inattentive and there were many items not available. Samosas were apparently not available because they had 'run out yesterday'. This should have been a warning signal as any Indian restaurant worths its salt makes its samosas daily.

When the bill came service was included. In retrospect, I shouldn't have been surprised as there was no way I would have left a tip given the way we were treated.

To crown this delightful dining experience, one of our party came down with food poisoning.

If you want an Indian meal in Cape Town, then my suggestion would to head to the Taj hotel as the prices are about the same and you get the quality of food I would expect.

1  Thank Halfpint_Traveller