“Appalling! Ignore my previous review, something has gone horribly wrong!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jewel of India

Jewel of India
Ranked #365 of 1,136 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Appalling! Ignore my previous review, something has gone horribly wrong!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Gosh, what an absolute let down. We went there a week ago and everything was BAD. The service was appaling... From the second I called to make the reservation, I should have known. The person who answered the telephone was very impolite. He then called someone else to make my reservation. When we arrived, the usual waiters were nowhere to be found. We waited 20 minutes for our drink orders to be taken, let alone arrive, and when it arrived, we didnt recognize the taste of ANY of our drinks.

Our waitress was South African, but could barely speak English (seriously!). She had no idea how to take orders in a seating restuarant such as this, and was clearly winging it from start to end. We waited for nearly 60 minutes for our food, which when it arrived, was shocking. Nothing tasted like what it used to be. Everyones saying you should avoid the place until its refurbished (which allegedly is planned) but how is a refurbishment going to solve their problems?

If anyone can advise, I am convinced that ownership has changed. If there was a "shocking" review button, I would be the first to press it. From having been one of your biggest fans, I have now become bitter. Quite like the Dhal Curry you served us. #fail

• Visited January 2013
4 Thank LoneTravellerCPT

PONTEFRACT
“Avoid....until after refurbishment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Our experience was similar to Halfpint in his report. This looked ok from the outside, was convenient and we needed our 'curry' fix. We were seated at a good table overlooking the V&A...so far so good. The menu mentioned to expect to wait 25 mins for food as it was all cooked to order-so order your drinks while you wait...all good. Open kitchen too.
The waiter tried his best but they were clearly understaffed and he was run off his feet. Firstly, a drinks order of Cobra beer and bottled dry cider from the menu was the first hurdle.....after waiting 5 minutes he came back and said sorry we're out of Cobra and cider. My wife asked if they did Mojitos...after another 5 minutes no they didn't so she settled on dry white wine.
The food was ordered (at least my 2nd choice beer did arrive before my food) and came after about 10 minutes....followed by my wife's wine a little later. The curry sauce was ok but the meat poor and it was one of the worst I've had for some time.
We noticed other people waiting ages for service and the whole experience was poor.
When we paid the bill the waiter explained that it is allegedly closing on 31st January for a 3 month refurbishment...so maybe this explains the lack of stock (running out of Cobra??) and the poor service and quality. For anyone at all who likes and understands Indian food then go elesewhere until the restaurant has been refurbished. I would have given a zero rating but at least the waiter tried....unlike the manager (I presume it was) who spent most of his time wandering about doing apparently very little.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank david1960uk
London, United Kingdom
“Awful, terrible, disgusting place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

We strolled into this establishment on the basis that it looked busy and had a good view of the harbour. I can only surmise that the place was full of tourists because I doubt anyone who really knows what proper Indian restaurants are like (e.g. Bombay Brasserie at the Taj hotel) would ever patronise this establishment.

Firstly the manager who we spoke to about availability of a table was rude. Once we were eventually seated and hard ordered, the food took an inordinate time to arrive. Service was sloppy and inattentive and there were many items not available. Samosas were apparently not available because they had 'run out yesterday'. This should have been a warning signal as any Indian restaurant worths its salt makes its samosas daily.

When the bill came service was included. In retrospect, I shouldn't have been surprised as there was no way I would have left a tip given the way we were treated.

To crown this delightful dining experience, one of our party came down with food poisoning.

If you want an Indian meal in Cape Town, then my suggestion would to head to the Taj hotel as the prices are about the same and you get the quality of food I would expect.

1 Thank Halfpint_Traveller
Denver, Colorado
“Good value and nice views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

I came across this restaurant simply by perusing the mall that it is attached to. I checked out the menu and knew I would come back. The vegetarian options consisted of many of my favorite Indian dishes at a very reasonable price. The food came quickly and the portions were perfect. The food was hot and tasty and not too spicy. The server saved us some money when we ordered two sides of rice and he had us just start with one which was definitely sufficient. I would definitely recommend this restaurant and eat here again. The views were great, too!

Jaipur, India
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Total waste of time & Money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

We had been there in Dec-12. Believe me this place is a total waste of time & money. The food is not good & top of that the service is pathetic to say the least.If you don't care about the food & service. Then only you should go for a view of waterfront. The waiters, managers everything is just awful

1 Thank sunil7606