“Awful, terrible, disgusting place”
Review of Jewel of India

Jewel of India
Ranked #421 of 1,202 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We at the Jewel Of India have tried to trace the origin adapt and prepare cuisines and regional delicacies that are today a part of every memorable feast. Pulao, naan, grilled kebabs, samoosas and the use of tandoori ovens were typical of the Uzbeck cuisines. The cuisines is said to have found its way to North India with Baber and his contemporaries. Over the year the descendants who grilled in India refined and elaborated upon this cuisine, adding to the species and adapting its local cooking methods to create what we know called Mughlal or Frontier Food. In tracking back the origin, we at JEWEL OF INDIA try to revive and maintain these glorious culinary traditions of old in an ambiance best suited for today’s world. The warmth of the décor, the note of hospitality and the sheer culinary skills, make JEWEL OF INDIA unforgettable experience
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We strolled into this establishment on the basis that it looked busy and had a good view of the harbour. I can only surmise that the place was full of tourists because I doubt anyone who really knows what proper Indian restaurants are like (e.g. Bombay Brasserie at the Taj hotel) would ever patronise this establishment.

Firstly the manager who we spoke to about availability of a table was rude. Once we were eventually seated and hard ordered, the food took an inordinate time to arrive. Service was sloppy and inattentive and there were many items not available. Samosas were apparently not available because they had 'run out yesterday'. This should have been a warning signal as any Indian restaurant worths its salt makes its samosas daily.

When the bill came service was included. In retrospect, I shouldn't have been surprised as there was no way I would have left a tip given the way we were treated.

To crown this delightful dining experience, one of our party came down with food poisoning.

If you want an Indian meal in Cape Town, then my suggestion would to head to the Taj hotel as the prices are about the same and you get the quality of food I would expect.

1  Thank Halfpint_Traveller

Reviewed December 20, 2012

I came across this restaurant simply by perusing the mall that it is attached to. I checked out the menu and knew I would come back. The vegetarian options consisted of many of my favorite Indian dishes at a very reasonable price. The food came quickly and the portions were perfect. The food was hot and tasty and not too spicy. The server saved us some money when we ordered two sides of rice and he had us just start with one which was definitely sufficient. I would definitely recommend this restaurant and eat here again. The views were great, too!

Reviewed December 10, 2012

We had been there in Dec-12. Believe me this place is a total waste of time & money. The food is not good & top of that the service is pathetic to say the least.If you don't care about the food & service. Then only you should go for a view of waterfront. The waiters, managers everything is just awful

1  Thank sunil7606
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Despite the wonderful view of V&A waterfront and the amazing Table Mountain - this place has not much going for it. Slow service (2 drinks took 15 minutes on a quiet Monday evening); average food (Paneer Makhni, Corn and Mushroom curry - made for Western palate's or very lazy cooking; cold naan bread). GIve this place a miss - unless you really desperate for a curry. Bill for 2 including drinks R308 (about $35)

1  Thank Prasidh R
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I have been frequenting this restuarant for years, and whilst there are cheaper options available in Cape Town (such as Eastern Food Bazaar in Darling Street Cape Town), Jewel of India at the V & A Waterfront never seems to fail. The food is authentic indian cuisine comprising of various meat, chicken, fish, veggie and rice options. I can truly say that I have never had a bad food experience in all the time that I've frequented the restuarant, whereas their competitors are not always up to standard. Apart from the high standard tasty foods, the restuarant is set in a lovely location overlooking the Waterfront harbour, and whilst the decor has remained pretty much the same over the last few years, its super clean and the service is always satisfactory. They allow reservations for big groups, so you are always guaranteed decent service and a great authentic indiancuisine experience.