“Lively bar with decent food”
Review of The Village Idiot

The Village Idiot
Ranked #144 of 1,322 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Reviewed March 20, 2019

I stopped in on a Friday night for a quick bite and the bar and balcony were very lively. It's on the second floor of the building so you can easily miss it if you're not looking for it. The place was filled with mostly good looking 20somethings and maybe a few in their 30s. The bartenders were whipping out drinks of all varieties pretty quickly, and were friendly and engaging. There was a good ratio of bartenders to customers so you didn't have to wait too long. I ordered a burger from the bar, very tasty and unique flavor to the sauce. They have a few locally made beers on tap and several in bottles.

This was my first and only experience at this establishment, but I would go again for sure.

Reviewed March 20, 2019 via mobile

We visited The Village Idiot a couple of times for drinks during our recent trip to Cape Town. The lads behind the bar were excellent. Decent range of beers too

Reviewed March 9, 2019 via mobile

Really disappointed. Order a main with side, receive a starter with the side extra. Sneaky as well. First restaurant to allow split bills for a large group. Reason, each individual bill includes a gratuity inserted in lower case, but SERVICE NOT INCLUDED with extra space for tips. So double tipping on every individual bill - BEWARE!!

Reviewed March 4, 2019

I want to start with the fact that we went to TVI for late night drinks on a saturday, so I'm not eligible to talk about the restaurant and its food, which seems to have received good feedback from other reviewers.

We were a group of six friends who went to TVI on March 2nd to celebrate a friend's birthday. As we arrived, there was no problems: we passed through the queue, and was inside after two minutes, opposed to the 10-15 boys who had to stand outside for a long time. Me and my male friend went to the Unisex bathroom, and we went to the same cubicle, as we usually do when we want to go to the bathroom. When we came out, a security guard waited for us in the bathroom and said: "Do you know what happens when a boy and a girl go to the same bathroom?" and we said we didn't, because the question was very diffuse to us. Then he explained to us that it was illegal to go two into one cubicle, and we apologized right away.

However, we finished in the bathroom (while this guard was still watching us from the door) and went towards the bar, when this guard stopped my friend on his way in, to tell him that he was not allowed to go in. He did not stop me at first. When I asked the guard what he was doing, he then turned to me also and told me that I was not allowed to go in either. He was angry, aggressive and had a condescending behavior towards us. I do not know if this was because my friend is gay, or just because he saw an opportunity to kick out a boy, or something else, but it was however not a nice behaviour. First: if it is illegal to go pee together (in the unisex bathroom?), there should be some signs. Second: isn't it normal to give a warning before kicking someone straight out? Third: the last time me and my friends were here, who happened to be all girls then, did the exact same thing, but no one threw us out for that reason.

For me it just seems to be a very contradicting action. He seemed to just want to kick my friend out, for whatever reason it may be, and it is sad that these attitudes still exist. The place is a great place to go out and have a few drinks, and probably also a good place for food, but this was just a big disappointment. I understand that this was our experience with just one staff, but such a popular and well-known place should know better, and so should your staff or the security company you hire.

3  Thank sejlape
Reviewed February 25, 2019 via mobile

We visitted here a couple times during our stay. One of few places that we revisitted.

The service was superb and the food was excellent! At night when the music hits it becomes a very comfortable bar to stay and dance and drink.

Perfect place to spend a whole night meal to dance.

Date of visit: February 2019