“Except from the food, no reason to recommend the place”
Review of Beluga

Beluga
Ranked #63 of 1,155 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Except from the food, no reason to recommend the place”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

trendy but packed with people waiting at the bar for their table to be ready... seems that the place hosts more people than it can possible sit especially with such a poor booking / sitting coordination. Booked upfront for a table outside; arrive to be told my table inside was not ready yet; asked again to be seated outside and was told if I went to the bar for a drink (paying for a drink I mean) I could surely be "squeezed" somewhere. That was a well chosen word as a short while later I am escorted to the worst possible table next to the staff station where they literally work above your head. Asked to be changed table and was promised another table that needed to be re-preped; when arriving at that other table, waiting for the 4 chairs to be installed, a staff is escorting and sitting under our eyes 2 other guests she also had promised the table to... and when I tell her we are waiting for that table she answers "this is not their (the people she just seated) fault that we (staff) miscommunicated so let them enjoy their evening!!! PATHETIC!!! At that point I just should have left the place, really. But when we finally got a proper table, were offered bubblies to make up for all that mess and ended up having a very tasty meal. They seem to have enough customers happy with the crowdy place and bad service that they don't need me to recommend them, let alone go back.

• Visited March 2014

• Turkish first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Not worth the effort”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Was not impressed with this restaurant it was way too expensive for the food we got. Yuppie vibe, not to my liking.

• Visited April 2013
Cape Town
“Sushi Specials are what we go for”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Beluga has a great trendy, urban environment atmosphere. Kinda of like the sort of bar/restaurant corporate yuppies retire to after a hard days work (like in the American series like Ally McBeal). The decor inside has a contemporary & classy city-chic feel to it with just a hint of industrialism where red facebrick, mahogany wood, cement, glass and black painted steel are glowingly lit by soft yellow lighting. It all comes together in a warm yet young & vibrant setting.

The cooked menu I will give 3.5 stars as it's the sushi special plates that we go there for. They are usually fresh and generous and well worth the price! Their dim-sum is also divine for a starter!

Beluga is my favourite of the Caviar Restaurants as it is more genuinely Cape Townian/South African and less touristy and pretentious like I personally find Sevruga is.

• Visited April 2013
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Always good”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Every time we had dinner at Beluga the service, atmosphere and food was good. Huge menu selection and their sushi is outstanding!

• Visited December 2013
Cape Town
“Lamb Shank”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

The Lamb Shank I had at beluga was brilliant. it made our couples night out worthwhile. Will most certainly visit Beluga soon ;-)

• Visited November 2013