“Captivating Class”
Review of Pigalle Restaurant

Pigalle Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 1,202 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Well-known as the perfect venue for a stylish evening out, we offer guests live entertainment from our dance floor alongside superb dinner courses. Renowned for our fresh seafood and Chalmar steak, our menu comprises of classic dishes with a subtle Portuguese flair. Including a spacious cigar lounge and private dining room our venue is versatile as well as suitable for private functions.
Reviewed December 14, 2013

An enthusiastic recommendation from the One and Only got us to Pigalle-Cape Town on Saturday, November 30, 2013 - @ 8:30 pm reservation. We received: Excellent food, Great service and an Invigorating atmosphere. Thanks.

This email after our return from a WONDERFUL trip through South Africa is send because of the telephone call we received after returning back to our hotel room that evening. A member of your staff called and advised that I left my little tip bag - a few $20s, $10s, $5s and $1s - the bag and the money was returned!!! This happened in South Africa - in Cape Town: Captivating Class - APPRECIATED!!! GRATITUDE!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!

Warmest Regards
Eric & Peggy H
Westfield, NJ

Write a ReviewReviews (1,100)

Reviewed December 7, 2013

Everything we had was great... soup, fish, and desert. Live music. Setting a bit cheesy (not our taste). Very friendly service.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

I lunched here on a quiet weekday which in fairness was not the best time to visit. Pigalle has the look and feel of a tired 80's style club and is probably good for mature folks reminiscing over dinner-dance. Be warned however, the food is very expensive and the staff are trained to up-sell you on menu choices and not subtle about it either. On the other hand service was good (for an empty restaurant). I was part of a large luncheon party and starters were pre-ordered including grilled meats and calamari, scallops and green salad with feta cheese. Whilst it was all good quality and quite tasty, it lacked any pretensions at modernity or presentation and matched the ambience of the place perfectly - old-fashioned like the 80's.
The main was langoustines (like giant prawns or shrimp) and for an eye-watering R330 I got four scrawny creatures that were a complete disappointment to taste. Keeping them sad company on a lonely plate were half-dozen or so overcooked french fries and a dismal mound of rice.
Here's the thing. Cape Town has a plethora of really great restaurants with modern, innovative chefs serving far superior food in much nicer surrounds. If you like dance clubs that serve expensive, average dishes then Pigalle may be your thing. For my money, not again.

3  Thank David P
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We struggled to find the restaurant, expecting it to be on the ground level, and also not mentioned on their website, is that there is secure parking at the rear of the restaurant. Turn left after Tafelberg Furnishers and the first right!
Once there every thing was exceptional.
The restaurant is very large and really upmarket. The night we were visited, there was live music and dancing - an additional bonus for our group.
We were seated away from the stage area, and due to clever designing, we could have a normal conversation and still enjoy the music.
The staff are very well organized and service was first class.
We had a choice of starters and mains etc from a set menu.
I went with the recommendation of one of the managers and had the prince prawns for main,without exception these were the largest and tastiest prince prawns I have had. In many restaurants these would have been served as Queens or even Kings. The vegetables served with the main meal were also superb, even though I am not big on veggies.
Overall one of the best meals I have had anywhere, and proud to say this was in Cape Town.
Excellent wine menu, and bar choice.
Being on business, I did not see the costs of the evening, but I assume it was not cheap - however it really is an exceptional venue and they know how to look after their clients and ensure satisfaction.
Highly recommended, especially for that special occasion.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

I came here to eat without making any reservations. The front desk staff were only too kind in helping find me a table and were extremely friendly and welcoming.
I was soon seated and greeted by Sarah, my waitress, who also did an impeccable job that night. I tremendously enjoyed the personable service she delivered, along with Warren (not sure if he was the restaurant manager) who also made checked to ensure I was okay.
The rest of the waiters were also only too polite -- they all definitely made my night! I noticed waiters paying close attention to detail, like polishing the wine glasses as the night got to a close, and inspecting them carefully to make sure they were up to standard.
Portions were very sizeable, so there is no way on Earth you can complain about that! And the food was tasty as well.
The restaurant always has a live band playing, except on Sunday. On the Wednesday night that I went, the band delivered a really nice rendition and transitioned into a party atmosphere where restaurant customers could get up and dance on the dance floor.
The setting is ideal for romance, business, solos, friends, and also a place you can let your hair down, roll your sleeves up and have fun.

I'd recommend you visit them. The food is good, but what made it even better was the ambience and the friendliness of the team.

Thanks for a great experience, Pigalle.

3  Thank James D