“Best Fine Dining Experience!”
Review of Pigalle Restaurant

Pigalle Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 1,224 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Well-known as the perfect venue for a stylish evening out, we offer guests live entertainment from our dance floor alongside superb dinner courses. Renowned for our fresh seafood and Chalmar steak, our menu comprises of classic dishes with a subtle Portuguese flair. Including a spacious cigar lounge and private dining room our venue is versatile as well as suitable for private functions.
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I've never experienced fine dining like I did last night! The staff, food, service, attention to detail, price and atmosphere were like they came out of a movie! Best experience ever! Keep it up!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,153)

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Loved it, looks like it might be a bit large and impersonal when you walk in, but actually a very welcoming place and delicious food.

1  Thank Pollenstein
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Pigalle Restaurant, Green Point, Cape Town - 11/01/13

I had heard so much about Pigalle Restaurant from so many people who had been there, my anticipation and expectation was extremely high. Friends, acquaintances and Twitter followers were so full of praise and positive comments; I knew it was going to be an enjoyable evening.
The unassuming entrance to the restaurant belies the largesse and sheer beauty of the interior. There is no getting away from the fact that this is a large restaurant, seating for three hundred at least.

A warm greeting and we were quickly seated at our table. Though the restaurant is vast with many covers, there was most definitely not a feeling of being crammed in. The spacing between the tables is ample and somehow or other exudes an intimate ambience. The music playing in the background adds further to the rarefied atmosphere of luxury, elegance and fine dining.

Pigalle Restaurant in Cape Town is one of the very few dining and dancing venues in the country, even with the three hundred or so seats there is plenty of space for a large dance floor and stage for the live band.

Our waitron, with an obvious love and passion for the restaurant and its offerings, took us through the menu, recommending her favourites with aplomb and experience.
I decided on her starter recommendation of pan-seared scallops on a bed of spring onion risotto and hollandaise sauce, on the menu at R79.

I have not eaten scallops for more than fifteen years, more due to the lack of availability than choice. It would seem that I have not been looking in the right places. Presented in three separate dishes on a plate, each of the three scallops was cooked to perfection. There is little more distasteful than an over-cooked scallop, chewy and rubber-like, but these scallops were absolutely fantastic. The texture was almost like butter and melted in my mouth fused with flavours of the hollandaise sauce and the little bite of black pepper I added. The risotto bed under each scallop was the perfect accompaniment.

Serenaded by the live band with popular ballads and light jazz, I set my mind to deciding what I should eat for my main course. Pigalle Restaurant is a mainly seafood eatery, though there is plenty of choice for carnivores, so the seafood platter or Pigalle platter with langoustine and prawns was a natural choice for me.

The high ceilings, plush seating and large chandeliers all add to the charm that is Pigalle Restaurant and the filling dance floor of amateurs and obviously well-practised dancers makes for an entertaining partner to dinner.

My Pigalle platter makes its debut at my table and it looks and smells amazing. I had previously checked with our waitron whether the platter would be not too much for one person, she assured me that it is indeed intended for one person. I have to say, I most definitely thought she had got that one wrong, it looked huge. The three massive prawns and three massive langoustines, not to mention the stir-fry vegetables and chips, appeared to be a little too much for me.

However, once I started eating, the tastes and flavours, so exquisite, I could not stop and certainly would never have shared. The langoustines were the absolute best I have tasted ever, that’s a rare statement for me, but the way the meat just so easily came away from the shell, knife and fork only, just astounded me. The flavours mingled with the provided garlic sauce were a symphony of delight to my taste buds. The prawns were just the icing on the cake. I managed to finish all the shellfish, unfortunately the chips and vegetables, nice as they were, had to be sacrificed and left on my plate. At R290 on the menu, the Pigalle platter is worth every cent.

The sacrifice of the chips and stir-fry vegetables however, enabled me space enough to order dessert. Marbled chocolate and vanilla seed cheesecake with chocolate ganache stood no chance once I had seen it on the dessert menu.

The creamy texture and flavours of chocolate and real vanilla, complimented by the chocolaty biscuit flavoured base was my idea of what cheesecake should always taste like, R49 and delicious.

It would be remiss of anyone looking for a Cape Town culinary experience of note to not dine at the Pigalle Restaurant, I’m certainly going back, I just have to remember to bring my dancing shoes the next time.

1  Thank TweetCritique
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Great place with a fantastic live band. Meals were massive. Was quite dear by Cape Town standards but reasonably priced compared to Sydney prices. Food and service were outstanding. Music wasn't too loud either.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Best restaurant in Cape Town by far! Exceptional service and mouth-watering food! The cheesecake is a must, best I've ever had. Thank you Pigalle for always exceeding my dining experience!

1  Thank Sally G