“Wow!”

Ranked #23 of 1,147 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: African, Contemporary, International
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Enjoy creative contemporary cooking in a visually exciting venue. With its historic Table Mountain stone and old brick that dates back to the 18th century, architect Leon Saven's design is complemented by glass, concrete and exposed ducting. Cabbage motif chandeliers and salt dishes, fine table appointments and impeccable service reflect outstanding attention to detail. The menu alters daily, using the freshest local produce and combines unusual flavours to excite the palate of the discerning diner. A boutique wine list which is very reasonably priced.
Arlington, Virginia
“Wow!”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Savoy Cabbage was recommended to us by our wine tour guide during our stay in Cape Town. My husband and I enjoyed a great meal (smoked salmon, fresh fish, and we both tried kudu for the very first time...yum!). The desserts were also delicious and are not to be skipped! Our three course meal would have been triple the cost in Washington D.C. Great value, great food, great service!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Meagan D

Solihull
“Wish i could give 4.5 stars - Delicious food, some really original tastes”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

It was fairly quiet the night we dined at the Savoy Cabbage which is perhaps the only reason I haven't rated it 5-star. Some seriously good cooking and some very quirky and different dishes - I had warthog which was delicious, beautifully cooked and present. Mind you I also had a baked radiccio stuffed with gorgonzola for starter, which was "interesting" and "surprising"!

The waiter and staff were excellent, very knowledgeable about the menu and they made good recommendations for wine.

We were all happy. It was a "posh" meal, but we liked that it involved many ingredients that made the cuisine specific to Africa. In the UK I would expect to pay at least double for this standard of food.

Visited July 2014
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Really nice”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

We went to Savoy Cabbage for a birthday dinner. The service we received was excellent and the menu choices were great... things we had never eaten before like Zebra.

The food we received was nice. I say nice only because it wasn't amazing. That is what I would expect from a restaurant of this stature. I also feel that the meals were too salty. All four of the people at our table woke up in the middle of the night and were so thirsty. I know I finished almost 1.5L of water at about 2 in the morning.

Please don't take this review as though we didn't enjoy the food. We all just expected a bit more.

The atmosphere was great and the service could not be faulted.

The kitchen did do something special for my wife for her birthday even though we had not asked or even mentioned it in the booking. They had seen the gifts being brought in, inquired who's birthday it was an took it upon themselves to so something spacial. We really appreciated that.

• Visited August 2014
Cape Town
“Excellent food”
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

Went back to SC after a long time for a birthday dinner. Food and service truly excellent. Great choice of wines too. Restaurant cleared out quite early, which is what I recalled from previous visit too, but staff quite happy for us to stick around.

Johannesburg, South Africa
“Serious let down”
Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

The restaurant is set in a beautiful old building. The interior, like the menu, is quirky. You can see the crumbling old brick walls with ghosts of old windows and doorways that have since been filled with newer brick to make the double volume room that is now the restaurant. Cabbage lights and bishop Tutu appearing to hang in mid air as he swings on an ornate crystal chandelier complete this amazing looking restaurant.

The menu is also made up of beautiful sounding dishes, with some hard to source meats such as Zebra and Warthog.

Whilst the restaurant was not really busy whilst we were there, and they had plenty of staff, service is where the evening started to fall apart.

Our waiter struggled with communication, which made ordering an ordeal. Further we were limited to a single drink as the second round although ordered never appeared, despite our empty glasses left on the table to remind anyone who cared to notice that something was amiss.

Then we got to the food.
I won't bother with the starters, and neither should you.

For main course my wife had the Duck breast with beetroot risotto.
The fat had not been rendered, there was a piece of sinew running the length of the meat which made the duck impossible to cut. You basically had to scrape the meat to get at it. The risotto was over cooked so the rice had no bite to it, just a red tasteless mush.
The waiters only response to us pointing this out was to scrape the substantial remains of my dry warthog onto my wife's plate and clear the table. He either did not tell the chef as we had asked, or the chef couldn't be bothered to see us.
This restaurant has so much potential, a manager walking round making sure guests are cared for and some quality control in the kitchen would make all the difference. Based on the other reviews, perhaps this was just their night off.

Visited July 2014