“Scenic and Romantic”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Baia

Baia
Ranked #30 of 1,144 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Seafood, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Edmonton, Canada
“Scenic and Romantic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We sat high above the wharf looking down at the harbor watching the boats go by while eating one of the best seafood platters I have ever had. My Girlfriend had the Game plate with Ostrich,springbok, and Kudu and it was all very good especially paired with a good wine. Felt like a king and Queen for a night.

Visited February 2013

• Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
“4 years later still perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We went to this restaurant in 2009 and loved it, so I was kind of ambiguous whether I should visit again or not, because of the fear of spoiling a perfect memory. However I am so glad we went 4 years later to find it just as perfect. They even still had the Gazpacho soup that I had been longing for still and I pray they keep it forever on the menu.

Needless to say I had the Gazpacho for starter and for main I had fish and just looking at the pictures reminds me of how big, juicy and extremely tasty it was. The service was great as well and I can’t wait until next time I visit South Africa and Baia restaurant at the Waterfront in Cape Town.

• Visited December 2012
Mahwah, New Jersey
“Tasty Food in Waterfront Setting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

We ended up here on a Saturday when all our choices were booked. It was not disappointihg but had its flaws. The view is nice but not overwhelming. It is a rather large place with minimal decor. Our waiter was pleasant but seemed to push a few items. The food itself was fresh and well prepared. Langoustines were especially delicious along with giant prawns and local lobster. Best to stick with the seafood but keep in mind that specials not on menu can be significantly more expensive than the average menu price. The wine list was decent and fairly priced.

• Visited March 2013
London
“An ok evening at dinner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

I won't be gagging to go back here but found the food good quality and service decent. I picked up this resturant looking on on line reviews but felt it didn't live up to my expectations.
The food was good but the ambience and service was not up to the same standard.

• Visited March 2013
UK
“Good(isn), Very Overpriced - always manages to disappoint”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

I reviewed Baia in 2011 and give * , my rating was based on very good food but dreadful service. We had planned to give Baia a miss this time but were persuaded by the Waterfront tourist advisor that the Chef remained but the staff had largely changed so we gave it a another chance. The food was good, not great, not as good as on our last visit but still fairly good. What had changed was the quality of the staff and with it the atmosphere of the restaurant. It no longer gave the impression of a frenzied, disorganised, mayhem orchestrated by pushy, commission motivated, abrasive, demanding servers. Instead we were attended by a charming young lady called Claudi who was polite, discreet, attentive and efficient. The evening was a pleasure, all the staff seemed calm and in control and the restaurant had a congenial atmosphere.
I don't know what it is about Baia but it just can't seem to get its whole act together at one time, on our last visit the food was very good but the service dreadful, this time the service was excellent and the food average, the character of the restaurant was much improved this time but somehow Baia has always lacks intimacy. It is s big restaurant but other big restaurants can be intimate, it is busy restaurant but other busy restaurants are more relaxed. Baia is OK, but just OK, Baia is fine until one considers the cost, then something about Baia just doesn't work. If carried an average price tag it would be good but it just can't justify it's top flight pricing, we also dined at Beluga a couple of nights later and that cost less than Baia which is extraordinary given that Beluga offers better food, atmosphere and is chic, something Baia does not even pretend to be. There are far better places in Cape Town to eat at the price of Baia, that I am afraid will be our last visit to Baia.

• Visited February 2013