“The best, the VERY BEST!”

Redbourne Hilldrop Guesthouse
Ranked #34 of 155 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
Montreal, Canada
“The best, the VERY BEST!”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

This was my third stay at Redbourne Hilldrop and will not be the last. The highlight of Redbourne are the owners--Sharon and Jonny helped us in so many ways I can't even count them--organizing our transport from the airport and to the university, making reservations for restaurants and massages, giving us a ride when it took too long to get a cab, calling a courier company when the package was not arriving and sorting everything out, going to battle with a cheating taxi driver, and checking on us daily. The first time I stayed there I lost my cellphone in a taxi, and Sharon tracked it down in 5 minutes. It's great to have a chat with them over breakfast or in the evening, and their children are very smart and nice. They feel like family and arriving at Redbourne is like returning to a home away from home.

The room I stayed in this time is the largest one in the b&b. As I was traveling with a friend, it gave us enough privacy. The view was the same as the one in breakfast room, overlooking the City Bowl and the ocean. We saw stunning sunrises and sunsets (In the past I stayed in a room with a view towards the mountain). The beds are comfortable. The AC/heating unit came in handy when the first chilly nights of autumn came in. The bathroom was large and everything spotlessly clean. Christine and the other lovely lady (Khanisa?) made sure that everything was clean and working.

The breakfast is great (cold meat, cheese, eggs made to order, cereal, yoghurt, jams, fruit, etc). I love their poached eggs--they are done to perfection. There's a fridge where we left some stuff from time to time. And there is an honesty bar for those who didn't have the time to buy their own drinks. In the living room there is a computer with a printer--very handy for last minute reservations. Sharon helped us zip through the booking process a couple of times.

The house is beautiful and you feel the history of Cape Town when you stay there. If you prefer a 5 star impersonal hotel room, Redbourne might not be for you (it does not have all the bells and whistles of the latest gadgets, iphone chargers and remote controlled blinds); but if you want a place that has a beautiful soul and AMAZING, welcoming hosts, then book here by all means.

Sharon and Jonny, I miss you! Thanks SO MUCH for making my stay memorable once again!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank TransylvanianGrl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Dubai
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Myself and my husband stayed at Redbourne for only 3 nights but it was the most lovely 3 nights I have ever experienced in a guesthouse/b&b. Sharon and Jonnie, were fantastic hosts and made us feel so welcome and comfortable in their beautiful house. We were offered a spacious ensuite room which would comfortably have housed a young family or a group of friends. The beds were super comfy, so it was a good job that the breakfast was so good as otherwise we would have found it difficult to leave the bed! We were full to the brim with delicious fruits,cooked breakkie, freshly brewed coffee setting us up for a day out site seeing. The house sits as the foot of table mountain and the views are spectacular. Sharon went over and beyond our expectations, organising our tours, driver, and recommended activities based on our needs. We were only 10 mins from the waterfront. We can whole heartedly promise to go back and stay again for LONGER! Loved Loved Loved very much!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Joraj
Lilongwe, Malawi
Reviewed April 20, 2014

My family and I spent two nights enjoying Johnny and Sharon's excellent hospitality. This came at the end of a wonderful week on the Cape. Their knowledge interest and pride in their city was obvious and they gave excellent recommendations following all of our queries. Everything from where best to park, eat, visit, shop, running routes etc.. Anything they did not know was quickly researched on the web and all done in the most helpful way.

We stayed in a family room, spacious, bright, clean with fantastic beds and linen. The house has a wonderful relaxed atmosphere, a great coffee machine at your disposal, lots of great reading material and good internet access. Tucked in under table mountain you are central to all that the city has to offer, with views back and front doing full justice to the city and its magnificent setting.

We had a red eye flight home and Johnny insisted on rising at 4am, despite nursing an upset stomach, to provide us with an excellent breakfast. I have seldom come across such dedication in my travels, but this typified the hospitality enjoyed during our brief stay. We'd have no hesitation in recommending Redbourne Hilldrop and look forward to our next return.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank aidan f
Reigate, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Our first time in Cape Town and we were made to feel as if we had arrived home from our long journey. Jonny looked after the car and Sharon mothered us. The breakfasts were tailored to our preferences and we ate them while enjoying a perfect view of the city.
We were advised of the best restaurants and indeed our whole sightseeing itinerary was guided by Sharon with such care.
The bed was so comfortable that I would like the same mattress at home.
Sharon, if you read this please let me know if it is a universal make.
If or when we go back to Cape Town this is where we will stay without a doubt.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

We recently visited South Africa, travelling around Cape Town and travelling the Garden Route, staying in a range of BnBs and guest houses. Without doubt the best place we stayed was Redbourne Hilldrop in Cape Town. Firstly it was so conveniently located, near to the city, Waterfront, Table Cape and access to southern tourist routes and airport. Secondly it was a charming facility, quiet with city or mountain views, pool, tastefully decorated without being pretentious, and a quality breakfast. Thirdly and the most important of all were the friendly hosts Sharon and Jonny, and the welcoming feel they create to the place. They could not have been more helpful with what to do, where to go and generous with their time. Their guests are mostly regulars who keep coming back and everyone seems to fit into this relaxed environment.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 21, 2014

As much as I love Cape Town, for me, staying in Redbourne Hilldrop is the way to love the city even more. It's a place where you can feel at home and have all the space you need for yourself. I loved the house, the rooms and the tasty breakfast with the stunning view. But it's not only the house, location or view that make this place so special, it's also very much the owners, Sharon& Jonny that does it. This couple are amazing, how they are always there to help with all you need. I felt there safe and comfortable . They listen to what you are interest in, or what you are looking for, and will do their best to provide you the best tips that will make your journey even more fun. They know the city and the area so well. Through their tips we discovered excellent restaurants and cafe's, beautiful (day) trips, and some tips that brought us closer to the locals . I'm looking forward to the next visit. Thanks Sharon & Jonny for ALL!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I was fortunate enough to find this gem of a guesthouse and spent an entire week there with my daughter. To begin with, and what makes this place so special are the owners, Sharon and Jonny - perfect hosts to say the least. They suggested where we go and what we do and booked our tours for us. Our bedroom was wonderful - large, spotlessly clean and very comfortable. Breakfasts were an absolute delight - fresh juice, fruit salad, a choice of cereals, cheeses, cold meat, etc. not to mention eggs prepared per ones personal choice with tomatoes and mushrooms, bread, toast and of course coffee/tea/milk. Redbourne is a short distance from Table Mountain and a bus-ride from the city. It has its own swimming pool for a quick cool down if need be. I sincerely recommend this wonderful place which is home away from home if not better. Salute Sharon and Jonny and thank them for making our trip so memorable! Will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with any room...