“A perfect first night in South Africa...”
Review of Huijs Haerlem

Huijs Haerlem
Ranked #18 of 155 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
Winnipeg, Canada
“A perfect first night in South Africa...”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We felt welcome and safe from the moment we arrived (even though we were late) until we set off after a sumptuous breakfast beside the pool.... Rooms were beautiful (both our guest room and the public living rooms/areas); the view exceptional; the service beyond excellent! Sorry it was only for one night before venturing down the Cape... with great recommnedations for the drive.... Thank you, thank you... We will be back.
L&R - the Canadian late night arrivals

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Cantab girl
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

I am still sitting beside the pool under the trees at Huijs Haerlem waiting for our taxi to the airport. HHS is lovely. Beautiful gardens, warm welcome and an establishment that runs smoothly. The breakfasts by the pool are to die for, the rooms have great decor, there are plenty of public spaces. I thought we might be a bit out of the way but a short walk downhill brings you to Main st, where there are shops and restaurants. The walk back is steep but manageable. I want to tell all our friends about our find. Now I'm going off to the other end of the pool to look out over the ocean!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Stuttgart
Reviewed February 28, 2014

The stax st thid house made our stay in Capetown perfect.
We love the pool and the rooms which have an excellent style.
We could see the ocean from our rooms.
The owner is very friendly and served us a great breakfast.

We will come again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

England
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I booked this guest house because it was well within my budget. I worried slightly that it was a little out the way, but I shouldn't have worried at all - it is an easy 40 minute walk to the V&A Waterfront, and there is a bus stop within a 5 minute walk that gets you everywhere you need to go (you MUST buy a Myciti bus card from the Waterfront information centre if you want to use the buses - they don't accept cash on the bus). The hop-on and hop-off tourist sightseeing bus also has a bus stop in Sea Point - it's around the corner from the lighthouse - around a 10 minute walk from the guest house (150 Rand for a day ticket).

The guest house itself is an absolute gem. I booked a pick-up from the airport, and he was there to meet me (350 Rand one-way). The lovely housekeeper, Happiness, showed me to my room and I was delighted - Room 7 had a four-poster bed, a lovely private (ish) terrace, and a view of the sea. The bathroom was luxurious (bath and shower), with some lovely toiletries. The furniture in the room was antique, and there was a good-sized safe that is laptop-sized. There is a hairdryer and a kettle, and the tea/coffee/milk sachets were replenished daily. The cleanliness was outstanding.

The grounds are delightful - a small swimming pool, lovely flowers and pots of herbs all around the garden.

Breakfast each day was lovely - cereal, breads, yoghurt, fruit and freshly-cooked bacon and eggs. They remembered my preference for a pot of tea, and brought it out to me each morning without me even asking. It's these little things that make this place great. On a morning when I had an early start, the owner brought me a little breakfast bag the night before to eat on the coach.

The staff are wonderful - unobtrusive yet kind and friendly. They really go out of their way to make you feel at home.

The guest house is opposite the primary school, and the children were a lovely gentle alarm clock each morning which ensured me that I never missed breakfast!

Lastly, but for me the most important, is how safe this city is for a single woman traveller. The guide books put the fear of God into you, suggesting that if you go out alone, you'll be mugged - absolute nonsense. A bit of common sense will allow you to walk and use the local buses without any worries at all. I must admit that I used a taxi when it was dark, but I'd do that in any city in the world.

Come to Cape Town - it's a wonderful place. And stay at Huijs Haerlem - a true home from home.

Room Tip: I can't imagine a better room than number 7 ......
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Stayed at Huis Haerlem while attending the Mining Indaba 2014 in Cape Town.
Wonderful view, nice facilities and superb service. Breakfast was great.
Regret not having been able to spend more time there just relaxing.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Pretoria
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I was overwhelmed by the interior, antique furniture and ornaments, seldom see that anymore. Overall, the service, food and room were excellent. Would definitely recommend the guesthouse to my friends.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Zeist, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 8, 2014

We have stayed in Huis Haerlem a couple of times now, using it as our arrival or departure point when flying in/out of Cape Town. It has always been a very welcome experience: the place itself is ideal, and the owner and staff are even better. They are always willing to help you find the right things to do and places to eat in the area.
Especially enjoyed a refreshing dip in the swimming pool in the morning, before eating a sumptuous breakfast on the terrace next to it.

Room Tip: All our rooms have had a view over the ocean.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple