New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Derwent House Boutique Hotel

Derwent House Boutique Hotel
Ranked #5 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
London, United Kingdom
“Couldn't have been better!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Derwent House was our first honeymoon stop after a busy wedding weekend. We couldn't have stayed anywhere better. It's a lovely, small, welcoming hotel and feels very much like home. The swimming pool area is a fantastic space and the hotel tastefully decorated and well maintained. The staff were friendly and incredibly helpful giving good advice, recommending and booking restaurants and calling taxis. We felt very spoilt. The location is perfect, close to excellent restaurants and bars without being in the centre of Cape Town, very close to Table Mountain and a short drive from some of the beaches. I would go back for the breakfasts alone, they were delicious!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 4 which was lovely and spacious. We had a very good view of Table Mountain. The ro...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

It's really easy to roll out a load of clichés about boutique accommodation; but this hotel deserves an actual considered review as it genuinely does go above and beyond (OK, last cliché, I promise)

I was on a whistle stop tour of Cape Town needing to both work and play. It was my first visit and although I love to research, I needed local knowledge. I asked Carol at Derwent house for some recommendations of design centres, expecting a short reply... she basically planned my entire work trip and what great advice. The fact that I got that knowledge from a local really gave me the edge I was looking for.

The attention they lavished to this one little request was evident in everything I asked for, transfers- no problem, hire car- sorted, great place for dinner at short notice -done (and AMAZING) somewhere for a massage after climbing table mountain - booked for us there and then. And on and on.

Service is a big part of the experience of our stay but I have to talk about the accommodation. It's stylish, considered, roomy and with enough luxury to make the room a space you can actually relax in, not just use as a space to sleep. We stayed in room 4, which had views of the mountain. Yes there was a bit of residential traffic noise, but nothing if you are used to staying or living in a city.

The location is great for us, fantastic restaurants, shops and bars. I walked the the Q&A waterfront... it took a while and if it wasn't such a nice day I would have happily have paid for the 5 minute cab ride to get there.

I will go back, I will stay in the same room and I recommend you do too.

1 Thank Abigail B
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We stayed at Derwent House for the last 3 nights of our honeymoon. We were greeted by Vuyo who new exactly who we were when we rang the door bell to check in and these personal touches throughout our stay is what makes Derwent Hse so unique. Vuyo could not of been more helpful with top tips of where to eat, transport, tourist information as well as helping us when we had issues with our flights home. Rooms, breakfast and location great. Lovely pool area to relax and catch some sun. The honesty bar is unique to Derwent Hse but a great idea, with lots of choices. A definite must if staying in Cape Town.

Thanks Derwent Hse.

Room Tip: Location great but a fair walk to the Waterfront, lovely resturants on Kloof St.
1 Thank Hipster76
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Derwent House very much. The communal rooms have a very African theme which was something very different for us. The staff were all extremely helpful and welcoming. We stayed in room 1 (top of the stairs on the far left) which was comfortable but slightly on the small side and the bathroom was extremely small but functional. Don't know about any of the other rooms. Never having stayed anywhere else in Cape Town, I couldn't compare Derwent to other Cape Town hotels, but would recommend Derwent probably for shorter stays, unless the other bedrooms are on the larger side.

• 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Pauline S
Leyburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This was our 3rd visit to Derwent House since 2008, and it's as good as ever, I could say it gets better every time but it's hard to improve upon perfection! We wouldn't stay anywhere else in Cape Town, Jo & Carol along with their fanatstic team of staff make the whole experience of staying there wonderful. The attention to detail, the decor, the breakfasts, the welcome, the service, advice re restauarnts etc is second to none. We walked to 3 local restaurants for dinner all with great food and service and we felt perfectly safe doing so.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

As part of a group of international travelers that stayed here for 14 days - these are my thoughts...

I travel all over the world for work. Derwent House will now be the measure of excellence. From the amenities to the location to the standard of comfort - Derwent House is simply exceptional. The most impressive aspect of the stay here was the staff and the service that they provided. I cannot quite put my finger on it...However there is a magic about the way it works. From check in you are treated like family (like the spoiled child that can have everything). The staff from Management across the team allowed the most exquisite experience. If you come to Cape Town - Derwent House is a must!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mark-D-McMillan
Harrison, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

WOW, WOW, WOW! I just returned from spending 2 incredible weeks in Cape Town. I began my adventure on the V & A waterfront, after several days I packed my bags and headed over to Camps Bay, a brief and beautiful stint there and on my way to safari at Amakhala where I had the pleasure of meeting Carole and Jo, owners of Derwent House. They are an amazing duo, I loved them so much that I changed my plans and moved into their outstanding hotel for the last days of my trip. The hotel itself is absolutely top notch! It reminded me of a beautiful elegant brownstone in NYC, I felt right at home. It is perfectly located to shopping, restaurants, gardens, etc. and the staff were tripping over themselves to make my stay first class. My daughter is studying at UCT and wants to move in, watch out Carole & Jo! Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo