“Best boutique hotel ever!”

Derwent House Boutique Hotel
Ranked #5 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
“Best boutique hotel ever!”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Highly recommended if you want comfort, character, location and tranquility in perfect combination. Carol, Jo and team have found exactly the right balance between offering chic accommodation and a home away from home, without being intrusive. They've thought of everything and it's the decor and the little touches (free port, wine recommendations, cake in the afternoon, notes on pillows) that make it special. The breakfasts are delicious too!

• Stayed November 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I arrived in Cape Town after two weeks camping in Namibia and I couldn't have picked a more perfect place to stay. I was the only guest for 3 nights and was treated like a queen. My room was beautiful with a balcony overlooking the pool and a view of Table Mountain, great bathroom and more amenities than I could dream of.
Location is very convenient to restaurants and sites. Before my arrival, they provided me with so much helpful information about day tours, airport transport etc.
I highly recommend Derwent House and plan on returning on my next trip to Cape Town.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Chevy Chase, Maryland
Reviewed July 2, 2012

This was our first trip to Cape Town (indeed, to South Africa) and Derwent House was the perfect place to spend 3 nights. It is close to lots of great restaurants and shops, and Carol gave us excellent recommendations for eating and sightseeing. One day, my husband went shark diving (crazy), and Carol helped me plan the perfect day for myself at a huge farmer's market in Woodstock, gallery hopping, and then for a massage close by the hotel. Our room was a reasonable size, the bed was very comfortable, and we had both a bath and shower. But, it is the main areas of the hotel that really impress - Carol and Jo have picked out stunning paintings and sculptures from local artists and decorated the lounges in a modern but warm style. We would definitely return.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 4, which was very nice. Even though it overlooked the street, it was not noisy at...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 25, 2012

The place is closed to Mountain top, 30 mins walk to downtown and 40 mins cab ride from airport. The service is outstanding, clean room, beautiful swimming pool and the best customer service. You will feel like 5 stars hotel. I'm highly recommended and will go back and stay if I go back to Cape town.

steve l.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank StevenTLee
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I’ve done quite a bit of traveling all over the world, and use Trip Advisor frequently to find unique and great places to stay. My recent trip to stay at this lovely property in Cape Town while I was there on business was more wonderful and relaxing than I could have imagined. Starting with the beautiful details throughout the guest house that show that pride of ownership, I knew this would be a special place to visit. The remodel is exquisite, giving you the feeling like you have have stepped into a sleek lounge but still complete with the creature comforts to make your stay all you want it to be and more. The location is also wonderful, being a short walk from shops, restaurants, etc, and a short hop to all the sites and lovely coastlines to wind down your day with a glass of wine and panoramic views. Besides the exceptional amenities and the great location, what also really set this guest house apart from other places I’ve stayed in are the owners. Carol and Jo are simply the best. From the amazing correspondence, to yummy brekky, stocked wine bar and snacks, or the fact that both of them just taking the time to see if I had a good day at work, I was so delighted to be there. They have also really taken care to preserve the natural surroundings and architecture of the house, while offering a completely unique experience for their guests. I can't say enough about our stay here - I can't wait to come back, it's definitely one of my happy places to visit - and soon to be yours too!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I was at Derwent House for about a week. I planned my trip to Cape Town in less than 24 hours. Decided I needed to get out, bought a ticket, contacted Derwent House based on the fabulous reviews and within minutes, was in regular correspondence with Carol, who was very accommodating and patient with my hurried questions/requests.

A few (make that, 30+) hours later and I was brought to Derwent House by a very nice woman who Carol had arranged to pick me up from the airport with a clearly marked sign with my name printed out. Within minutes, I was given a tour and was able to unwind in my room. The room itself is wonderful - huge bed, heated sheets, DVD player (with a huge selection of DVDs downstairs), great bathtub with wonderful views of Table Mountain and ample closet space. Oh and a gorgeous terrace overlooking the pool and hot tub.

Derwent House really feels like home. There's a fireplace and wonderful sitting area if you choose to take a break from the luxury of your room. I was greeted every morning and asked about my day. Breakfast is wonderful. There's a cold buffet with breads cheeses, coffee, tea and a menu from which you can choose omelets, oatmeal, french toast, pancakes, etc. They are also very accommodating with additions/substitutions. At night, there is complimentary port and sherry, as well as cakes and tea biscuits. I, however, was partial to the pitcher of lemon and mint water that is always available.

Carol essentially coordinated my entire trip for me. She booked me for cage diving with sharks, a wine tour, paragliding, skydiving and a massage at a wonderful Thai massage parlor only minutes away. She was always on top of reminding me of my activities the day before and when I would be picked up, which is helpful when you're miles from home and your brain is not completely there (at least mine wasn't).

Halfway through my stay, I met the other owner - Jo. She is just as wonderful and kind. She helped me plan the rest of my stay and even allowed me to stay in my room well past check out time so I could rest/shower before my late flight. I've stayed in many hotels and that has NEVER happened to me before, at least without paying extra. I was floored. I thought it was an unbelievably generous offer.

The location could not be better. It's right next to Table Mountain - after coming down in the cable car, I was able to take a nice leisurely walk back. There's also a grocery store (Checkers) that's only about a five minute walk away. Kloof street is very close too - a street with lots of great restaurants and shops.

I truly hope I can return to Cape Town and if I am lucky enough to do so, I will absolutely be staying at Derwent House. It cannot be beat.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Sydney
Reviewed June 12, 2012

This was our first trip to South Africa in October 2011 and we could not have had a better start than Derwent House which we chose after readingTrip Advisor reviews. Carol, Jo and Bernie lived up to their reputations and were all fantastic and really happy to pass on local knowledge.

After a long flight it was great to be greeted at the airport and our room was ready upon arrival at 10pm (but our bodies were 6am and feeling wretched!) so we just crashed immediately. We woke up to bright blue sky feeling refreshed and a recommendation to do Table Mountain which was perfect as it was the best day to visit.

The house, garden, pool and rooms are beautiful. Kitchen available all day with coffee, teas, cake and honesty bar. We felt right at home and made to feel so welcome. We cannot recommend Derwnt House and its owners highly enough.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
#6 of 109 in Cape Town Central
Cape Royale Luxury Hotel
Cape Royale Luxury Hotel
#33 of 109 in Cape Town Central

Been to Derwent House Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!