“A good, well presented hotel”

Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town
Ranked #31 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Norwich, United Kingdom
“A good, well presented hotel”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed here during our brief stay in Cape Town. We were very happy with the hotel and you got what you paid for. The place was clean and the staff very attentive, the room was what you expect from a city centre hotel.

We choose this for location and it is right by Long Street where there is a number of bars and restuarants. It is a 5 min drive from the VA Harbour and they provide a shuttlebus every half an hour, with the last one leaving the harbour at 11.15pm. We would recommend if catching this last bus to get there for just after 11pm as once it did leave 5 mins early. A slight dissapointment was when the bus did not run one morning and we were going to be late for a trip we booked. However when I spoke to the staff they informed me that the bus had broken down and one of the staff drove us to the Harbour. There is a charge for the shuttle bus but as we were on our honeymoon we got this free, including a free bottle of wine and chocolates (nice touch).

Breakfast is amazing and I have experienced such a wide selection of food on offer!

Lastly, I want to say what a great place Cape Town is and don't be put off by all the negative media. We certainly felt safe at the Harbour and exploring downtown, where there are a number of security marshalls around.

In summary, a good hotel and you get what you paid for.....

3 Thank Chris5cott
CapeTownJeff, General Manager at Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to advise us of your experiences whilst staying with us on your recent trip to Cape Town.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit to our hotel and the "Mother City " and will take back home , fond memories of your honeymoon in South Africa.

All your comments will be passed on to the various departments you mentioned in your report , so that they can discuss these with their staff accordingly

Once again, thank you for your comments and we trust that we may have the pleasure of your company in the not too distant future

GENERAL MANAGER

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Southern Sun Waterfront in Cape Town is in an ideal location and a short walk or taxi to many areas of the city. While it is ideally suited, the property is beyond being well worn and is simply not worth the effort.

The rooms are dated / aged and the carpeting is matted, dirty and has holes. There is actually a spot in my carpet, in the middle of my room where the carpeting material has been warn away. There is another area near my desk where the chair has worn the carpet creating fuzz from removing material. The desk has uneven and bare wooden edges from years of water damage and use. Other areas of the desk are scratched. The room walls are concrete and do a decent job of dampening noise, but the paint is old and faded. This non-smoking room has been smoked in and you can smell it when you walk into the room. It smells like a damp cigarette. It is likely that the heating and cooling elements need to be thoroughly cleaned to help to eliminate the smell. But it is probably in the carpet and on the walls too.

The bathroom is also dated and you can see evidence of this as the plastic sink has cracks around the drain hole and scratches in the sink. I would think that a handy man, a high speed drill or buffer would be able to even out some of the cosmetic imperfections of the sink. Even so, the sink lip has cigarette burn stain and the soap dish looks to be discolored from being used as an ashtray. The tub is a little newer as is the shower. But the wall handle meant to assist you in the tub has been moved around on the wall and the old holes are evident and unsightly. The toilet continues to run after you flush it...so you have to "jiggle the handle" to shut it off. I thought that this was just a problem in my room, but visiting another person's room I noticed the exact same thing. This is annoying if you get up to go to the loo in the middle of the night and you have to get up again just to turn off the toilet.

The most important thing that occurred was a hot water contamination problem. The hot water system was contaminated with some kind of solvent. You can turn on the hot water and cup your hands and it smelled of acetone, but I could not be sure exactly which solvent it was. The manager and the maintenance manager seemed concerned, but a complaint was received earlier, about 12 hours, and the problem was not resolved. While the management went to great lengths to explain to me that they had a problem with the hot water system, I really was not concerned with what happened, it is not germane unless they want me to manage them. My only concern is how quickly were they going to fix the problem so I and others can safely take a shower. Good service should seem like magic, not excuses...and it just happens. As a side note, they are painting the outside of the building, it is possible that paint or solvent was dumped into the wrong system at the end of the day. Others with my group reported discolored water. Management told them it was rust from the hot water heater failure. That does not account for the smell of solvent.

The cleaning ladies do not have an enviable job. The are not out fitted with the proper materials that enable them to do their job. To clean rooms they wheel around two bin cleaning trolley. They are constantly reaching down into a bag to find items to clean the room and restock. I have never seen such a large hotel not outfit their personnel with a proper cleaning trolley with shelves that are properly sorted to easy access supplies. Seriously, a proper trolley makes your workers more efficient.

Since the cleaning ladies lack proper equipment, they were not able to keep their cleaning supplies sorted from contaminating one another. I found "whiskers" in my coffee mug as I was drinking from it. ACK! I was in the room several times it was cleaned and I had never seen a change of the glasses and mugs from a proper cleaning in the kitchen. These cups and mugs may have never seen a proper cleaning since they were placed in the room. Imagine all the bacteria and viruses that can build up from one person to another or on the cleaning rag they use from room to room....even if it is changed daily. ACK!

The bedding seemed clean, but I was again let down when I saw the cleaning lady throw the pillows on the floor while making the bed. ACK ACK! I have allergies and I am sure this didn't help. Even if I didn't have allergies...what is tracked in the building on our feet is now on my pillow.

The bright part of this trip is the people that work within the hotel. They all seemed nice and willing to do what they could.

I never had a concern about security, there are plenty of people around, but an earllier post indicates that while people may be present, they may not be very attentive. Again, good training would help solve this.

Breakfast was good. We had a dinner that was prepared for us, but it was lackluster. The lamb was tough and in general it was a poor meal. You can have much better meals any where else.

In general, if you can, avoid this hotel.

There are just too many small things that add up to make this an enjoyable place to stay. While you can see that the management responds to nearly every post here in Tripadvisor, a caring empathetic management staff is not what is necessary here. This hotel requires serious attention, retraining of its staff and constant supervision to ensure that staff retains that training. The renovations may be what this place needs, but those renovations will not be finished for some time. If you call for reservations, ask if the renovations are complete. If not, stay away. If you are not in a renovated room...stay away. More importantly, I would not use this hotel for a few months after this post to ensure that the hot water contamination has been sorted.

Room Tip: A room that faces the wharf and higher up would give you a better view. Any other direction and you...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank afbrian2002
CapeTownJeff, General Manager at Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your detailed comments following your recent stay at the Southern Sun Waterfront

We recognise the fact that the rooms require some attention and it is for that very reason , that we are currently in the process of a R 100 million refurbishment programme which will most definitely address many of the comments that we have received from our guests with regards to room amenities. In addition we are taking the opportunity to modernise the rooms and bring many of the elements of the Cape into the décor.

However, this certainly does not in any way mean that you should have had to endure any of the many issues that you seem to have experienced and we humbly apologise for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

With regards to the so called "contamination "of our water is concerned , I can assure you that although we did experience a problem with one of our hot water storage vessels at the time of your stay , the water itself was at no stage harmful and I regret that you were not advised of this accordingly. The discoloration of the water that some of your group experienced was as a result of the work that is being carried out on the air - conditioning system and the need to "flush "the system , once the various pipes have been fitted .

On a positive note , we are really pleased to note that you found the staff to be attentive and willing .

Once again, thank you for your detailed report and I can assure you that we value your feedback and all the various issues that you have raised are currently being addressed,

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Having previously stayed at this hotel, our latest experience was rather disappointing. Check in was very efficient. The room was very small and was not ready for occupation despite the fact that we arrived after 14:00 hours local time. Toilet paper was only brought to the room after we had moved in. We had to request for shower gel as there was none in the bathroom.

Room service was a breath of fresh air, great. Their turnaround time and quality of food is commendable. The buffet dinner at the restaurant was also great. The service at the restaurant was generally excellent.

Our worst nightmare was when we switched off the heater/aircon in the middle of the night. There was a sudden smell of something burning, which eventually triggered the fire alarm in the room. The housekeeping and other people promptly came and fixed the problem.

Early in the morning we were woken up by the renovations team banging away as they started on their day's work. Most hotels I have been to notify their customers in advance if they will be having any renovations. Despite the fact that we booked in March 2013 for stay in June 2013, this was not done. The night before we had stayed at a 5 star hotel in Camps Bay. Although their renovations had been completed during our stay, they notified us of them more than 3 months in advance.

Breakfast was alright. We enjoyed the food. However, overall we were disappointed by the glitches that we came across. We hope that the hotel will up its game and provide the quality service that used to be associated with it in the past.

Room Tip: Go for rooms in higher floors. Specify the room type that you want since they will most probably not...
1 Thank HRH2011
CapeTownJeff, General Manager at Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to advise us of your expeiences during your recent stay with us.

Your constrctive feedback will assist us in our efforts to maintain a constant level of service excellence and we will pass your comments on to the relevant departments for their corrective action.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused as a result of our current refurbishment programme, the detail of which is posted on our website. We are sure that you will enjoy the new look on your next visit

Once again , thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Soithern Sun Waterfront in the not too distant future

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed here from 14th to 20th Jun. Great Location and it does provide shuttle service to the Water front. Just ensure while coming back you sit in the right bus as there are three southern Suns and a different transport company caters to the other two. The Rooms were nice and clean, We got a room with the Mountain veiw which was great. I would have preferred a Mini fridge in the room but anyways it was winter so did not matter much. There are refurb going on so the room was noisy during the day,although we were informed by reception that floor will be noisy when we requested for a higher room. Delnayde at the reception was very helpful when we checking in. Breakfast was great and the waiting staff were very helpful specially Zubeiga and Patience.

all in all it was a great stay. We enjoyed our stay in the hotel and capetown as a whole

Room Tip: if you want a room with a view request a higher floor. Getting to the hotel is easy from the airpor...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
CapeTownJeff, General Manager at Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so very much for your constructive report following your recent stay with us

All the points that you highlighted have been noted and we have been discussed with the relevant staff concerned and action taken to either enhance or remedy as required.

I am happy to report that all rooms will be equipped with a mini bar fridge as a part of the current refurbishment programme along with many other service enhancements for our guests convenience

Once again thank you for taking the time to advise us of your experiences with us and we look forward to welcoming you back tot he Southern Sun Waterfront in the not too distant future

Johannesburg
Reviewed June 7, 2013

This hotel has a great location directly adjacent to the Cape Town Int Convention Centre. Unfortunately a major refurb was underway during our visit. Scaffolding was present at the entrance to the hotel and it was impossible to take an afternoon nap due to the noise levels. After checking in my room key did not work. I had to wait in the lobby and then had to find the person who was assisting me in order to finally gain access to my room.

My room did not smell good and housekeeping assisted in this regard.

I like the fact that the bathrooms in this hotel have both a shower and a bath. Lovely bathroom in my opinion.

I went for a workout and there was a good quality treadmill in the gym.

The breakfast room has a beautiful fish tank and I enjoyed my breakfast. Once the refurb is completed and service levels are slightly improved this hotel will have potential.

Room Tip: Choose a room on one of the highest floors for views
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
CapeTownJeff, General Manager at Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your constructive posting and feedback

Regrettably it is impossible to " disguise " any refurb to the Porte Cochere of an hotel Za as it is right " inyor face " so to speak ! however , I am happy to report that this project has been completed and we are now busy with the refurbishment to our rooms, which is less obtrusive as we are doing a couple of floors at a time.

The new completed project will further enhance our guest experience and I am sure that you will enjoy the new look rooms on your next visit

Once again thank you for your comments and we ,oom forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future

Staines, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2013

-very nice reception, warm greeting
-room is nice, basic but clean and comfortable
-bed is very good, shower excellent
-breakfast is included and is really excellent, big Variety of options including an omelette guy
-location is great, in a place to really see some good seas at the Waterfront
-nice bar with good selection of drinks and not expensive

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
CapeTownJeff, General Manager at Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Valued Guest

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to post your experiences at our hotel on Tripadvisor

All of your comments and feedback will be passed on to our staff for their information as we strive to constantly improve on our service levels

It is only by you sharing your experiences that we can monitor our standards and we thank you for that

Warm regard

Chelmsford
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stayed here as part of honeymoon.
Smart rooms, and very clean.
Breakfast was always great.
Free shuttle bus to the waterfront.
Always love going for a swim - but pool was not great!
Very helpful staff

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tommy_Boy36
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your feedback which we will share with our staff accordingly

It is only through guest comments that we are able to constantly review our standards so as to ensure total guest satisfaction.

We place a strong emphasis on training for all of our staff so as to ensure that we stay relevant and up to date with the latest trends

Once again , thank you for taking the time to advise us of your experience during your stay with us