“Great ammenities shame about the pool”

Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town
Ranked #33 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This 200 room giant of a hotel, has a pleasant bar area and atrium. The staff where very friendly and helpful. The room are modern, clean and reasonably spacious. Its well positioned for town, and has an excellent shuttlebus to the V&A every half hour all day long until 11:15pm. The breakfast was excellent, with well cooked omelettes and an exciting array of fresh fruit, cheeses, breads, patisseries all washed down with some lovely rich coffee. Drawback, the tinest large plunge pool full of a thousand screaming kids, you cant even sit by it during the day, and about 12 sunloungers all in the shade - so no evening sun for us!

Room Tip: If you're stopping for 2 or 3 nights in Cape Town I would recommend this hotel, theres car parki...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Klaus A, Manager at Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. It is valuable feedback such as yours that allows us to continuously improve our service delivery.

I am pleased that had an overall pleasant experience at our hotel.

I would like to thank you for staying with us and look forward to welcoming you back to the Southern Sun Waterfront in the near future.

Revenue Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,125)

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed here one night courtesy of British Airways not being able to operate planes that actually work (my apologies to an earlier reviewer for stealing their room). Yes I wasn't in the best of moods but still this hotel wasn't all that impressive. Small, tired and stuffy room in my opinion - although it was clean. No free wifi. Impersonal dining area that reminded me of a canteen. Terrible food - I mean really not very good at all. I've had 99p sandwiches that had more taste to them. Seriously. Fairly well located though. The staff were fairly nice but would not bend an inch to offer me anymore service than was absolutely required by the contract they have with BA. For example I asked if I could have brief access to wifi so I could inform people back home my flight had been cancelled as it was really the only way to contact them - 'no sorry sir you'll have to pay' was the response. I asked if I could have the meal provided in my room - which wasn't possible. No rudeness, just unhelpful 'computer says no' kind of attitude. Would I choose to stay here? No. No I wouldn't. I also found out what BA paid for the room for the night. It was a lot - which explains to the earlier reviewer why the hotel is happy to kick you out of your room to temporarily house the stranded people that BA can't get from A to B without a massive fuss (and BA did this to my colleague on his last trip to CT so a wiord to the wise if you're flying to CT go someone other than BA!)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Klaus A, Manager at Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the service inconsistencies you experienced during your recent stay with us. This is definitely not our standard and the issues you highlighted are being addressed.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Was not happy with initial room allocated. Spoke to duty manageress, Nicole who immediately assisted in rectifying the matter. Stayed four nights. Very pleasant stay, friendly staff, very good service, excellent breakfast and very helpful concierge staff. Checkout was very efficient. Airconditioning a bit noisy, but overall I would recommend Southern Sun to family and friends.
Venesh Indurjeeth

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Venesh I

Dear Valued Guest,

I am delighted that we were able to deliver on your expectations. Your overall positive feedback is an encouragement for all the staff.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

The Hotel - Southern Sun Waterfront proved to be great. The buffet breakfast was sumptuous. The hotel shuttle (every 30 minutes) took us to the Waterfront, which made it very convenient. Though, not all guests received this service free. We were very touched that the Hotel even arranged packed breakfasts (bio-degradable boxes/bags) for us in the middle of the night as our flight departure was very early in the morning! This was kindly suggested by the Receptionist, Natascha who was very helpful, kind and also assisted with our check-in. We will definitely be back if we travel to Cape Town again. Pradhan family.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sandhya P

Dear Valued Guest,

I am extremely pleased to hear that you had a wonderful experience at our hotel. Thank you for the kind comments and glad that we were able to assist you especially with your early take-away breakfast.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

This is a lovely hotel to stay in if you do not want to have the hussle and bustle of the V&A Waterfront visitors. It is not situated at the waterfront but rather a 5 minute drive from the Waterfront. The hotel does have a shuttle service but please do not be fooled as this is not a complimentary service. There is a small service charge. Although this hotel is in a busy street the noise levels of the traffic are droned out once you are in your room. You may have a sea facing room or one that overlooks the mountain. This is was my second stay at this hotel and the friendly reception staff were welcoming and in true Cape Town hospitality, they were willing to assist. My room was facing the mountain. The room is spacious and clean. Tea and coffee facilities with cookies are provided complimentary - that's a treat when you wake up in the morning before breakfast. Talking about breakfast - what a feast! A variety to choose from and if you hungry during the day, that's really your own fault. I will definetly return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms are either sea facing or mountain facing. Either way, you can't lose.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Klaus A, Manager at Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

I am pleased to to hear that as a return guest you had an ejoyable stay with us.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I enjoyed my stay here, stayed for 3 nights.

Reception, was easy to check in, helpful staff and friendly.

The room was Modern, clean, the bed was comfortable. And, TV had a good choice of channels.

All in all a great stay, the and price was very good

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank easy1355

Dear Valued Guest,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your short stay with us and we will share your positive remarks amongst all the staff at the hotel.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Had a fab time in africa until we got to this hotel. We had pre-booked and paid for our room at southern sun the cullinan but weren't allowed our room as a flight was delayed and they gave our room to the people already there until 9 pm. Too late for us to check in after a full day travelling especially as the room would need to be cleaned. We waited at least half an hour before the manager met us to tell us this and no offer of a complimentary drink that all other guests were getting. When we finally heard what had happened we were disappointed. An offer to stay around the corner at southern sun waterfront was made. Apparently it was supposed to be the same level of quality as our hotel that had been pre-booked and paid for but it wasn't. Not as nice a foyer, restaurant, facilities etc... Felt ripped off. Sun cullinan gave us a drink and buffet dinner but the hotel we went to the room was not cleaned properly, staff weren't helpful and at times rude, beds were missing sheets and towels and room was tiny and dated.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jo P

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for staying with us and hope that you would be able to give us another opportunity in the future to allow you to experience a truely memorable Southern Sun Waterfront stay for which we have been renowned for over the years.