Taking our two teenage sons for a night in Cape Town we wanted to be convenient to the Waterfront, ideally so we could walk there safely. After checking with our Cape Town friends this hotel got the thumbs up. It is easily reached by car from the airport or roads along the Western Cape. TIP - coming along the N1/N2 follow signs to Waterfront. Near it you come round a corner and see the large cream hotel on the left. Take it easy as the entrance comes up quickly on the left.
We had rooms with views towards the mountain and also of the amazing road to nowhere (the dual carriageway which stops in mid-air) - a popular film location. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Not massive, more the size we would expect in a London hotel, not an American one.
Check-in was friendly and efficient as was check-out. The hotel has an underground car park so your car will not bake in the sun, though the porter seemed to suggest they did not offer a parking service. He said he might be able to get someone to park the car, but I did it so never fully tested the option. Didn't take breakfast in the hotel so cannot comment.
Bar at back is quiet but has a nice seating area outside by some water which is sheltered and suitable for smokers and non-.
Walking to the Waterfront was easy and felt safe - a pedestrian bridge and a traffic light crossing. Probably in a couple of minutes, 200m or so, you enter the security of the Waterfront area. Overall it's probably 15 mins walk to the main area of restaurants and shops.
Sons wanted to go to a nearby bar that evening (not in Waterfront) and considered walking but concierge advised a taxi. No problems going there by taxi and there were taxis waiting outside later for the trip home.
TIP for a meal in Waterfront - Belthazar is good. Boasts the largest wine menue b the glass in Africa/ the World. Bit intimidating wine list, but the food's good.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Wonderful sunsets over the Atlantic Ocean assist in making the Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town a preferred business and holiday destination. A mere 15 minutes' drive from Cape Town International Airport, a 5 minute walk from the Cape Town International Convention Centre (CTICC) and within walking distance to the V&A Waterfront, this hotel is superbly located to offer every guest easy access to the sights and sounds of Cape Town. Breathtaking views of Table Mountain can be enjoyed from rooms that offer all the quality and comfort you would expect from a full service hotel. Offering guests a fitness centre, a pool and convenient meeting rooms and a business centre, the Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town caters for all possible business or leisure traveller needs.Modern, chic and spaciously comfortable, these Waterfront hotel rooms offer guests a rejuvenating, fully serviced escape from the bustling energy of Cape Town. The decor is tasteful and classy with an edge. Amenities cater for all possible requirements and include 24 hour in room dining and a host of channels available on satellite. Business travellers can make use of the in room wireless internet access and the workstation with work lamp. Smoking and wheelchair accessible rooms are available on request.Unique cuisine and relaxed dining are just two of the many aspects that make this a simply superb dining experience to all restaurant guests. The Yizani Restaurant is inspired by everything local and is authentically South African ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town Hotel Cape Town Central
- Cape Town Southern Sun Waterfront
- Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town South Africa