“Depends on you really!”

Carnival Court Backpackers
Carnival Court Backpackers
Reviewed September 13, 2011

- Great location! Right where all the fun is on long street.
- Helpful and friendly reception staff :D all of them are great.
- Very clean rooms, bathrooms and showers! well done!
- Kitchen not well eqipped, only one stove works for tens of people to share.
- Food repeatedly got stolen from the fridge = ( & they left the plates for us to wash!!! everyone from the street has access to the club at the floor level and therefore to the rest of the hostle too. No security to keep them off coming up to the residential levels. LOCK YOUR ROOMS.
- All rooms lead out to a balcony. SO lovely = )
- Club/bar has a deathmetal-crazed DJ. The party was on every night with about 6 ppl only in the club, friends of the DJ. The whole hostle vibrated with "music" that resembled the sounds made by someone dying an aweful death ;P i managed to sleep through it but my roommates suffered, especially when having to get up at 6 am everyday for various activities.
- I'd love to stay there again if it wasnt for the security issue! they definatly need to lock the access to the room levels for ppl who are staying there.
- Oh and room had a sink in them for hand washing and brushing ur teeth :) that was very good + lockers which are necessary due to the security issue.

Room Tip: Top level! end of the isle (away from the stairs) so ur further away from the music
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed June 20, 2011

If you want to see Long Street you may as well just stay in the area. Nothing about Carnival Court was outstanding (not even the bar), but nothing was offensive either. For the carless, it is a decent point from which to visit Long Street (day and night) and nearby attractions like the Cape Quarter. Bathrooms were sufficient - small rooms instead of stalls, which can be nice. Whether or not they serve food is remains sort of a mystery to me but with all the very decent and reasonable restaurants in the area I would have to be seriously persuaded to eat at a backpackers. Staff were polite and well trained. Security was well planned and more than sufficient. On arrival, have a drink on the balcony overlooking Long Street and people watch... probably the best feature of the place.

Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 15, 2010

I stayed at Carnival court during the Worldcup 2010 and yes the prices everywhere were exorbitant and I hadn't expected much out of the place to begin with but this place was worst than I thought. The location of this place as other travellers mention is very central and the rooms are extremely extremely noisy. You can hear the music thump all night and it's hard to have a good night sleep. The room was very tiny with one basic bed, paint peeled off the walls, unclean sheets. So if you want only location from your stay live here.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lajja
Reviewed July 12, 2010

Stayed here November of 2007... was clean and functional. The male staff in the office were really friendly, the female staff not so much. Really good location though and it did always feel safe, a rare thing for South Africa. The only major issue was the bar downstairs that played live music late into the night basically every night... it can be heard from every room in the place and I was unfortunately in the room right next to the bar. Horrendous, even with ear plugs... do not plan on being able to sleep much here.

• Stayed: November 2009
2  Thank breckgirl_7
Reviewed June 16, 2010

TWO THUMPS UP!!! Read this review. It will answer all your questions.

I write reviews rarely. But my stay at the Carnival Court has compelled me to write of my great experience with the location, the staff, the facilities, and the people who stay there.
I could not have felt more welcomed and pleasantly accommodated throughout my stay in Cape Town. I like to call this backpackers lodge “Hostel Chic.” It was designed with style, love and care. It is a new building, and the cleanliness is reflected in that.

Location: Long Street. PERIOD. It’s the most central part of town. Bars, Clubs, Night life, action, and people, all right at your door step. Each floor has a beautiful view of Table Mountain.

Rates: CHEAP. I did lots of research around town for a hostel. Stopped by many. They offered the best rates for the best accommodations. I did some serious research. You shouldn’t have to after reading this.

Bathroom & Shower & Cleanliness: the Carnival Court is clean. Period. Clean Bathrooms, High Water Pressure, Consistent (and long) hot water. Taking a shower was a joy compared to my amenities at home! That says a lot.

Bed, Noise, etc: Comfy bed, amazingly very little noise. Surprisingly Quiet.

The Bar: Packed, a perfect combination of locals, travelers, all within a hello from being coming good friends and companions on a trip. It wouldn’t be a surprise to meet someone special and invite them to your room after a few drinks at the bar… Televisions to watch during sporting matches. Pool Table, Fooze Ball, Great music & soundsystem. Access to Balcony. Perfect.

Security: Not a concern. Not one bit. Rooms locked very well. Sleazy people do not stay here. Felt very safe. They insisted I keep my passport in their safe. Not because of legal reasons, just because they care about you and want to make your trip worry free.

Food: DELICIOUS!!! Breakfast Lunch and Dinner. The Chefs make the food with love and check to see whether you enjoyed it. The food is approached as a passion, not as a money making tool.

Side note: I came to Capetown and stayed with my hometown friends for my first few nights. After my friends left, I wasn’t sure whether or not I wanted to continue my stay in Capetown. I knew no one and had no place to stay. The idea of a hostel or “back packers lodge” did not seem ideal. I could not have been more wrong. After walking into Carnival Court, my stay in Cape Town got better every minute. I have met so many people that were so willing to experience Cape Town with me. This couldn’t have been possible if I had stayed at a hotel. Staying at Carnival Court, being able to stop for a casual drink downstairs, having a friendly, genuine chat with the staff, and offering me sound suggestions and recommendations for my stay is why I recommend Carnival Court so highly. I wish I could extend my stay. From my interactions with the staff Fatima, Bardin, Devon, Trevor and of course the charming manager Charl, the great Rates, the clean Facilities, the social environment, and friendly tenants, I have concluded: Best place to stay in Cape Town.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank Vuvuvuela-Thrash
Reviewed November 6, 2009

There is a Bar in this hotel, where anyone can enter, tourist from ather country and of course people who live in capetown!!

Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 22, 2008

Really cheap but too noisy. It's difficult to sleep until 4 am. Good just for 1 or 2 nights but no more. Safe. Toilets and shower cleaned frequently every day. Rebedding on request. Young staff.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)