“Was hesitant but it was great!”

Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town
Ranked #78 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed August 16, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a week. I was hesitant because of the area. Although it is very central and close to everything, I was told to look out and be careful of the area at night. When I arrived in the evening to check in, I got parking in the street right in front of the hotel. And as I was getting my luggage from the car a 'street person' approached me and offered to help with my luggage. Before I could even answer a gentleman from the staff came out to help, and warned me to not leave my car in the street. While I was checking in, someone parked my car in the hotels' parkade, my luggage was unwrapped and everyone at reception was extremely friendly and helpful. Very nice room with little balcony, nice coffee/tea tray and funky and fresh interiors. Parking availability was a problem on the nights when I returned late. Overall a very very nice stay with really awesome staff.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
Janneman B, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2014

Dear sonkoppie

Thank you for staying at the Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town and for taking the time to write a review.

Thank you for the compliment - one of our principles is best GUEST service and we are always trying to exceed expectations.

I am glad you booked a Superior room with a balcony - the view of Table Mountain is spectacular from here and we are looking forward to welcome you back again.

Reviewed August 13, 2014

Stayed for business at the wonderful hotel, I've never been treated better by staff in all the hotels I've stayed, (all the bar staff were amazing papa, soso, wanda) the rooms are clean & well looked after, I have no bad words for this hotel apart from having to leave it! Food is brilliant & so yummy with so many choices, I hope to return very soon & visit the 2 minute walk to long street!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Chloe S

Dear Chloe S

I have shared your compliments with the TEAM and it is much appreciated.

The hotel is located close to many of Cape Town's main attractions and you can choose if you want a fiery or chill experience - this is the space to explore from.

We are famous for our burgers and milkshakes (with or without alcohol) be sure to follow us online and stay informed of what is happening!

Looking forward to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed August 12, 2014

I stayed over for business. Great location. Fabulous interiors. Bedrooms are designed with comfort in mind. I liked the coffee/tea tray. My room looked out onto Table Mountain and a great cityscape at night. Service is great. We loved the "Launchpad" - the menu is creative, food was delicious. This hotel is firmly on my list of best hotels in Cape Town.
PS. The "shark cage" lift made me smile every time I used it.

Room Tip: My colleague complained about the noise of the lift - she stayed in the room adjacent to the lift sh...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Dear Alta W

Thank you for staying at the Protea Hotel Fire and Ice! Cape Town and for taking the time to write a review.

The hotel has breathtaking views of Table Mountain and each lift has a different theme - be sure to get into all of them and post some selfies on facebook.

We are in the final stages of our new social space and you are going to love the stylish, sleek and sexy look and feel.

We look forward to welcome you back on your next trip to Cape Town

Reviewed August 11, 2014

We stayed here while on our honeymoon and it is a great location if you like to get out and see lots of different things. The hotel is more in the center of town, but close to everything. It's a short cab ride to the waterfront or to Table Mountain. There are lots museums, cafes and restaurants nearby. We appreciated having so many places we could walk to. The breakfast was very good (although the same everyday) and we usually snagged a few pieces of fruit as snacks for the day. We did not eat any other meals there, but did get one of their famous shakes which we really enjoyed. It was too cold for the pool and some of the outlets in our bedroom did not seem to work with our converter, but overall, we were very happy with this hotel. While in Cape Town, we: toured the fort, did a wine tour, saw the waterfront, did a day tour of the Cape, saw Table Mountain (it was too foggy on one of our tours), saw Kirstenbosch and went to the museums. It is also a requirement that you check out the Eastern Food Bazaar. Delicious food at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
johancronje, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

Dear Jeremy W,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor about your experience at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience at our Hotel and that you were able to explore the city and all it has to offer.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 9, 2014

This was a interesting hotel. I liked the industrial chic in the dining room and someone had fun designing the rooms and the lifts. We unfortunately visited when a very large conference group had booked in and therefore it felt as if a plague of locusts had decended at breakfasts and lunches and there was nothing left fand no clean tables. The room seemed amazingly cramped, but it was designed to ensure that the groovy chandliers and other style pieces had room, not the paying guests. But the staff were lovely and it was fun.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view. We had no view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear FayStenhouse,

We rely on GUEST feedback to determine both the positive and negative aspects of our Hotel and to improve wherever possible. Your interest and concern are therefore extremely valuable to us, and we appreciate your comments.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed the fun design elements throughout the Hotel.

Thank you again for your feedback and we wish you safe travels.

Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

When we checked in our room had problems including a badly smelling toilet. The bed really did not fit the room as it was a narrow gap between the foot if the bed and the window, which was quite small. Probably a budget room booked by our tour. Hotel made it right with new room. Showers were lined with reflective tiles reflecting colored lights. Food adequate. Staff friendly and helpful.

Stayed: February 2014

Dear WanderBob,

We appreciate your constructive feedback on your stay with us and we are glad to read that our TEAM was able to assist you with a better room immediately. Thank you for your compliment on our Hotel TEAM, we are truly lucky to have such great people working alongside us.

Thank you for staying with us and we wish you safe travels.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

I visited the Protea Fire & Ice Hotel for a few days R&R and what an amazing experience! The hotel is gorgeous, the view over Cape Town is beautiful, the staff are amazingly, the food was exquisite and my whole experience was just wonderful! After a few days here I was rested, recovered and ready to face the world anew!

Thank you Protea Fire & Ice for making my time in South Africa, super special!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
johancronje, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Dear 7SuZan7,

We are extremely humbled by your wonderful review. I am so pleased to read that my TEAM was able to make your stay super special and that you managed to get the rest you needed.

Hopefully we have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.