“Keeps exceeding expectations!”

Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town
Ranked #79 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed May 19, 2013

This is a really great little hotel with a surprise behind every door. Funky, quirky and fun. The dining is EXCELLENT including very good sAfrican dishes, and wine prices really great. Having koi swim past you (at eye level) as you eat is a lovely touch as are the loos, the artwork, the lifts... The rooms are admittedly cosy, but well priced. Close enough to the city centre and attractions to be convenient and far enough to be quiet when you need it to be. The staff are also outstanding - attentive, friendly and engaging.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Cruising59

Your title is great reassurance that our goal of meeting and exceeding GUEST expectations is being achieved. Thank you for your wonderful words on TripAdvisor.

We like to do things differently and funky, quirky and fun are exactly what we want our GUESTS to experience. This filters through to the unique and delicious dishes that not only taste good, but have names like Jaws and Chicks on Fire. The chef and TEAM will certainly be proud of the comments you made.

The artwork in the loos and lifts are all for a good laugh and taking the norm and turning it on its head. I am so happy that you enjoyed these features that are synonymous with Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town.

I will share your comments with the STAFF and commend them on their attentive, friendly and engaging service.

Until your next visit to the Mother City we wish you safe travels.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Stayed at the Hotel in April 2013. Definitely not my first choice when visiting CPT. I booked this Hotel after staying at the Melrose Arch Fire and Ice on several occasions but sadly this funky Hotel has lots to learn from its Joburg counterpart. The rooms are small and not well laid out. There is also quite a bit of maintenance to be done in the rooms. This specific room had a leaking shower which led to a puddle of water in the room on the right side of the bed. The blinds where broken and the wooden window frames were badly scratched. The basin in the bathroom had yellow stains. On a positive note the room had nice views of Table Mountain. All in all there are better Hotels for a similar price but in a better location.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear JaacoS

Thank you for your continuous support of Protea Hotels and sharing feedback on TripAdvisor.

Cape Town is lucky to have Table Mountain as a backdrop and what’s even better is that you could see it from your room.

I am extremely disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. Your maintenance concerns have been addressed and there is no excuse for this. We have a maintenance program in place and I will be monitoring this closely to ensure this does not happen again.

Please accept my apologies and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further, Feel free to contact me at gm@fireandicehotel.com.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I recently spent a week on business at this buzzing centrally located hotel. The decoration and atmosphere gave this hotel a very hot and trendy feel with an event happening almost every day. The hotel itself is very modern, jazzed with some very interesting electronic features. It does have its own private parking which is very useful for the self-driven tourists and business folks, while its location just 15 - 20 mins from the airport (on clear roads) make it a good location for all. The hotel does have a good balance of leisure amenities (gym + swimming pool) while the Hilton Spa is next door. For the price, the hotel is definitely good value. The one problem that I did find in my room is that the bathroom is totally transparent to the rest of the room, so if you are sharing it with anyone else other than your spouse, it might cause a few problems. I am not sure if all rooms are the same, but definitely worth inquiring before booking. The second problem with the hotel is that it is located just a little bit too far from all the major areas for walking, so you do need a car to get around - but everything interesting - Table mountain, V&A waterfront, the beach, is within 5-10 mins drive. The staff and reception are very courteous and helpful and I must say were very patient with my very specific demands and requests. The pricing of the bar, for international visitors is definitely considered to be reasonable and the restaurant does have a very good selection of food on its menu. All in all a very enjoyable stay in which I managed to get a lot of work done and also managed to revisit some of my favourite sites in Cape town.

Room Tip: I would avoid choosing the rooms on the 1st floor near the swimming pool area. They rent this out fo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear vishaals

Thank you for providing us with great feedback and comments regarding your stay.

We are definitely a ‘buzzing centrally located hotel’ perfect for business and leisure travel. We are known for the trendy atmosphere and décor as well as our gourmet milkshakes.

Although we may not be in walking distance of some of the attractions, you are 100% right that Table Mountain, Camps Bay beaches and the V&A Waterfront are within a 5km radius and just a short drive away.

Our open plan bedrooms with exposed shower are designed to creat a more spacious living area. We do have rooms with separate en-suite bathroom for those that prefer that.

I am so proud of the STAFF and the positive attitude they bring to work daily. Your review reflects their efforts to provide friendly and helpful service to all.

It was a pleasure hosting you and feel free to pop in to my office and say hi next time you are in Cape Town.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Booked the Fire & Ice again for our stay whilst attending the Metallica show in CT and once again nothing to complain about. Service levels 100%, buffet breakfast excellent, milk shakes the best around. Thumbs up to management and staff!!

Room Tip: Make use of the suites...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Piet F

Thank you for returning to Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town. I am so pleased that we were able to provide you with another outstanding stay.

We aim to keep our service levels very high and the STAFF do their best to achieve this and go the extra mile where possible.

The breakfast TEAM takes great pride in filling up the tanks of our GUESTS with tasty and fresh produce for their day ahead.

I will pass on your congratulations to the TEAM and look forward to your next visit to the Mother City.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

This was my second stay at the Fire & Ice and it turned out to be a very BAD experience - all of them to do with service (actually the lack thereof).

(a) On the day of my arrival, it takes me about 15 minutes to checkin - not something easily forgiven after you've been flying for 8 hours. Dear Protea management, if you can print some cheesy certificate and place at the reception that announces 2nd, 4th stays, how about you use that same data source to pre-fill my registration form?

(b) I filled the feedback form (called 'Hot or Cold') and guess what? --- it remained untouched in my room for till I left. Gave me an indication of how they really take feedback from guests.

(c) I nearly missed my flight today due to the ineptitude of your staff. Because i knew I had to check out very early on the morning of my departure, I cleared my accounts the previous night, including paying for an airport transfer. The lady at the counter offered to set a wake up call for me at 4:00. Thank goodness, I didn't depend on that wake-up call, for none was made (when I called the reception to ask, its seems none had been set). Worse still, the airport drop-off I had paid for last night for departure at 4:30 am had not been arranged. A taxi was really only called once I had come down.

My second stay only confirmed something I suspected from my first stay - underneath the bling and shine, there's not much - an opinion my colleague (2nd stay as well also confirmed).

Rooms are small but modern and clean (my bathroom drainage was blocked though). They've got free 150MB Internet per day which is good and I found breakfast good. This time all of these we just overshadowed by the horribly mediocre service.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear Akong777

Thank you for staying at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town and for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am extremely disappointed to hear of the unacceptable levels of service you received during your stay. I would like to assure you that GUEST feedback is taken very seriously. We are continuously reviewing all comments and endeavour to improve wherever necessary in order to provide the best GUEST service and an outstanding hotel experience.

The front office TEAM have been made aware of your comments and more training has been scheduled. I am fully aware that these corrective measures will not make up for your experience, but I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back again to offer you the service that Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town is known for.

I would be happy to discuss this with you further and you can contact me at gm@fireandicehotel.com.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Modern rooms and hotel recently revamped.
Edgy and retro.
However the rooms are minute and very clostephobic, there is barely enough room to walk around the bed.
The room is cluttered and full of unnecessary lamps etc.
I did not enjoy the hotel.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear Mercades S

Thank you for staying with Protea Hotels during your visit to South Africa.

We pride ourselves on offering a unique experience in a trendy and relaxed environment. Your comments confirm that we are on track to achieving this.

I understand your concerns regarding the size of the standard rooms. At Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town we offer a variety of hip and happening room types; from standard to superior rooms, which are larger than the standard rooms with full en-suite facilities. In addition, we have our loft-style Executive Suites which are very spacious and boast breath-taking views of Signal Hill. Please feel free to reserve one of these rooms, as the extra space will cater for all your needs.

I hope to welcome you back to experience more of our hip hotel.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I stayed at the Fire & Ice for 4 nights in april and really enjoyed it. The location is great, one street parallel to Kloof Street (with plenty of restaurants, bars and shops in easy walking distance on Kloof and Long Streets).

The standard rooms are quite small - for one person absolutely okay, for two it would get a bit crowded. Nice views of table mountain and the city. Breakfast is very nice, a big buffet with a lot of choice, and a nice setting. The public areas are stylish, and staff is very helpful and friendly. The pool is very small, but at least there is one, so another bonus.

Overall, great value for money.
The only downside for me was the wifi-connection (or non-connection), which was very slow / not working and not the way it should be in the middle of a major city.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Dear nathalieyes

We pride ourselves on being “the hottest place to chill” in Cape Town and I am so pleased that this was your experience.

Located in the heart of the Mother City; the nearby nightlife, restaurants and shops are very convenient for GUESTS of the hotel.

I apologise for the issues with the Wi-Fi. This is unacceptable and the TEAM will be looking into the matter to ensure that all our trendy business GUESTS stay connected.

I am happy that you enjoyed your room and maybe next time you can stay in one of our superior rooms, which offer more space if travelling in two’s.

I look forward to welcoming you back.