“E Y Africa focus seminar”

Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town
Ranked #83 of 111 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I love Protea, I normally ask for Protea hotel first, but after my last two Protea experiences, I am not sure.
The Protea fire and ice Cape Town has a phenomenal decor and looks great.

On my return at nights the lobby felt like a tavern, noisy and loud.
The welcome by the desk staff was poor and unprofessional, I stood around for a long time, messed around and asked for my credit card twice. I felt let down and had the impression that these were all students.
On my last day I phoned down to reception to request an hour longer for check out, I was put through to three different people explained my situation got told they needed to speak to the manager, then I got put through to the next person who could not give an answer , the last person said he needed to speak to his manager asked a bunch of questions, then glibly told me no I could not.

Room Tip: The nearby Radisson or Hylton.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear ColmV

Thank you for staying at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town and providing us with feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am glad that you enjoyed the décor and the overall look of the hotel. We pride ourselves on being unique and trendy.

As far as the rest of your stay goes, I must say that I am disappointed with the way in which your request was handled. Late checkouts do require management approval as the decision is based on the number of rooms available for arriving GUESTS. We do our best at all times to accommodate where we can, however we were running at a very high occupancy at the time and were not able to approve your request. I apologise for the inconvenience and for the below par GUEST service that you received.

I will definitely be discussing this with the TEAM and ensuring it does not occur in the future.

You are welcome to get in touch with me directly at gm@fireandicehotel.com to discuss your feedback.

There are newer reviews for Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town

Reviewed March 4, 2013

This was my second stay at the fire and ice. As was the case last time I receive professional friendly and efficient service and enjoy the whole vibe at the hotel. The view from the hotel is also fantastic.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear JohnHSA2012

It was a pleasure to host you again and thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor.

Offering a great stay is most definitely what we strive to achieve with every GUEST. The friendly and efficient service is something we pride ourselves on and I will be sure to congratulate the TEAM for their continuous efforts in achieving excellence.

We are lucky to be located just a stone’s throw away from Table Mountain and the CBD. You are right; the view is fantastic and I am so grateful to be able to work in such an amazing environment.

Be sure to pop in and say hi when you next stay with us.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

We recently stayed at Protea Fire and Ice for 3 nights. There are a lot of nice things that can be said of the hotel- clean room, very comfortable bed, a big room safe, nice staff, a breakfast buffet, a lot of interesting touches (the elevator designed as a cable car and a shark cage), some cozy spaces in the lobby for more private meetings I suppose, spacious and luxurious looking dining area.

Locationwise, it is good too, very near Table Mountain and other attractions.

However, on the negative side, the room was a bit cramped. The thing I didn’t like most about this hotel was the design of the room toilet/bathroom. My husband and I both thought it was a mindless design. They had the toilet in an enclosed room, which was quite big for only a toilet, no sink or anything else. Then they had the shower partly enclosed and the sink outside, like an open thing, with only a white curtain separating it from the room. Imagine showering with the air-conditioning on. It was horrible; it was such a cheap touch. If only for this, I really wouldn’t stay in this hotel again.

Also, the carpet in the hallway is so dark. It’s black, with a fire thing design on it. At night, it was a bit creepy, with only some faint lights near the rooms to light it up.

I can see the attempt to have this modern and trendy hotel, but unfortunately, it was a failure in some parts.

I can't say it was a bad experience at all, but I’m not sure I would want to stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stillfromthesouth
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear stillfromthesouth

Thank you for staying with us whilst in Cape Town and for sharing you experience on TripAdvisor. GUEST feedback is always appreciated and helps us with our continuous search for excellence.

I am pleased that you found so many areas of the hotel to your liking from the comfortable bed, delicious breakfast spread and quirky elements like the elevator.

My apologies that you were unhappy with the layout of the room as the urban and open plan design is there to try and create a more spacious environment. I understand that this may not be to everyone’s liking and thank you for your comments.
I have also taken note of your concern regarding the lighting and will discuss it with the relevant parties.

We are very lucky to have Table Mountain as our neighbour and agree with you that our location near tourist attractions is good.

We look forward to welcoming you again when you next visit Cape Town. I hope that you had a safe trip home.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Visited the reataurant for the first time after numerous refernces.
The decor and atmosphere is very unique and can be overwhelming to the sense.
Very bubbly and vibrant would be the best way to describe the vibe inside the lounge area.
The food was fantastic and the service was also good.
The entire visit becomes more of an experience than just a night of fine dining.
Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear happyhands01

I could not help but smile when initially reading your title. It captures the unique essence of the Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town spirit so well.

All the points you highlighted and enjoyed so much; from the décor, vibe and overall experience are what we have become synonymous with and so proud to offer.

The chef has created a delectable selection of dishes and I will share your feedback with the TEAM. When it comes to service we strive to offer the best and it is reassuring to hear that we are on the right track to doing so.

I am happy that we were able to offer more than just a dining experience and hope to see you at the restaurant again soon.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have to admit, I was sucked in by the novelty factor of this hotel!
After spending two weeks in 3 very different locations and hotels, this did not disappoint.

Yes, it's probably due to be tidied up a little, but then what do you expect from a popular short stay hotel? I loved the decor and the complimentery milkshake on arrival! NOT just any milkshake...... No, no, no, nooooo! You choose from a list of flavours (I believe they call it a "Menu"...;o) and you receive an enormous glass of thick, icey cold milk shake! Delicious!

The bedrooms were tiny. Again, how much time are you going to spend there? They were decorated beautifully though. They even managed to cram in a designer shower and a huge chandelier! This added to the quirkiness for me.

There was some building work taking place not far from the hotel, so that was a little noises first thing in the morning, but we were staying in a city after all and it made us get up and make the most of the day!

We never ate dinner here, but breakfast was lovely. A choice of juices, smoothies, cereals, fruits and cooked breakfasts were on offer. The coffee was great too. I loved the fact that the restaurant area was set low against the deck area, and the windows were below the waterline of the Coy Carp pond, so you were sat with your back against the glass and every now and then a huge fish would swim by to say hello!

Some of the rooms were smoking rooms and this was evident, when you walked down the corridor, as you could smell it which is a shame.

So really the size of the rooms was the only minor issue I had with this hotel, but we were only there a couple of nights, so it just didn't matter that much.

Room Tip: Perhaps pay for a larger room if you can afford to do so.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

Dear KJH190576

A unique experience is exactly what we want all of our GUESTS to walk away with and I am so pleased that you embraced it all.

Our milkshakes have become very popular and are synonymous with the Fire & Ice! brand. That’s right, our menu lists 31 different flavours to choose from and you described them perfectly.

We put a lot of effort into our breakfast offering to ensure that our GUESTS have full tanks for either a day at the office or on the town exploring. Your comments will be shared with the TEAM who will welcome such positivity about their work.

We hope to see you soon and that you enjoy the rest of your travels.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

With every visit to this landmark hotel in Cape Town, our experience gets better and better! We have been staying at the Protea Fire & Ice for several years. From the first time we arrived, 5 years ago with our 13 year old son, we were treated as if we were guests at a 5 Star luxury hotel. The attention to detail, the extraordinarily personalised approach to making us feel at home, the incredibly friendly and helpful staff, the great service, from the initial reservations booking experience, to the attention from GM Johan Cronjé, to the housekeeping staff, has been an absolute pleasure. The location also works incredibly well for us, whether we want to spend time in the City Bowl, do a visit to the V&A Waterfront, or drive over Kloof Nek to Camp's Bay, the hotel is ideally situated. Would we recommend Fire & Ice? Absolutely!

Room Tip: We like the rooms in the original wing on the third floor, 303, 305 as they have views of Table Moun...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Ivor A

Receiving such amazing feedback about Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town is heart-warming and we thank you for your on-going loyalty and comments shared on TripAdvisor.

We set the bar quite high in order to ensure that we provide the best GUEST service and achieve excellence. Based on your review, I can confidently say that this has been achieved during your stay. The STAFF continue to go the extra mile and tend to all requests with a smile.

An all-round positive stay I would say, and the location only enhances the Fire & Ice! experience. With so much nearby, from Table Mountain to Long Street to beaches and shopping, there is plenty to keep the whole family busy.

I hope you had a safe trip back home and the TEAM look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Cool and convenient place to stay in Cape Town. I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. Rooms are small but well-designed and comfortable and kept very clean. Staff pleasant but require more training. Ask for room with Table Mountain view.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Sietske S

Providing a cool and convenient place to stay is definitely what we strive to achieve. Thank you for sharing your positive experience on TripAdvisor.

Our STAFF play an important role in the GUEST experience and I am glad that their friendly and helpful attitude added to your stay. I will however take note of your concern around more training and discuss it with the TEAM.

Our urban, open plan rooms are comfortable, just as you said and are well appointed to maximize space.

We look forward to your next trip to Cape Town.