“Great comfort for a longer stay”

Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel
Ranked #34 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here. Pro's include:
- amazing view of table mountain
- excellent apartments with seperate room, kicthen, lounge area that make it great for longer stays to avoid the feeling of being permanently in a hotel room
- great resteraunt attached to the hotel for breakfast and dinner (Albeit for dinner if you dont like italian it may be a problem)

There wasn't any major con to the hotel only a few niggles
- service was a bit hit and miss - while never 'bad' it wasnt always fantastic
- location is great for the view and good for company gardens but for travelling on my own some of the side streets around the hotel didn't always feel entirely safe

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
William d, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Dear mcg1979
Thank you for visiting Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel & Spa recently. My Team and I are delighted to note from your survey, that you enjoyed your stay with us! 
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. I will be sure to pass your kind words on to my Staffing compliment, thank you. I will sharpen up service levels, following your comments, as we do not accept the "hit and miss" standards at all :) Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

My Mum and I recently stayed at One of the Studios, I must say EXCELLENT!!!!!, would not go anywhere Else, The rooms are spacious, Ammenties excellent and Friendly staff, enjoyed my breakfast at Doppio Zero! Kudos

Lorna - Nairobi/kenya

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Dear Lorna O
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. I will be sure to pass your kind words on to my Staffing compliment, thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed Doppio Zero's famous breakfast, and we would love to have you back even if just for breakfast!

Reviewed June 24, 2014

As I had received really good service and attention here in the past, I took it for granted that this visit would be the same. Well, the porter helped me with my luggage which was a good start. However the low down was that I was given a room without a view. Barely a few metres away, from my room window, I peered at someone working at a computer in the building directly opposite. I only got a small glimpse of the sky. When I pressed my face against the window, I could see the passers-by walking in the street below. This was my first experience of the studio apartment. It was a let down compared with the one or two bedroom apartments I had stayed in prior to this. But the lack of a view made it seem more daunting. However the decor was plush with a light brown leather couch with red accents in the form of rather stylish cushions and a red grapetiser drink placed invitingly on the huge kitchen island (too huge for a studio). The kitchen area was also huge in comparison with the bed area and boasted a rather fashionable stainless steel splash back. The bits of bling did brighten the view from within. But I felt deprived being unable to see the mountain or even the cathedral. Breakfast at Doppio was good and the atmosphere was warm. But the lady, who kept on knocking at my door on a Saturday morning and shouting 'housekeeping', despite the fact that I was in the shower, was more than I bargained for. She seemed not to hear my protests and was amused when I finally opened the door. A colleague in a larger apartment in Fairbairn seemed more satisfied than I was with his stay. So when I left, I slipped out of the hotel without looking back. Next time I shall ask for a view and hope that they oblige.

Room Tip: Ask for a view: I also think that the Court Chambers are better.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Lisa C

Dear Lisa C
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. I am so sorry for your disappointing views from your Studio Apartment. I have updated your Guest profile with us, and we will ensure that you are allocated a better Apartment, with a nice balcony and view, on your next visit to our Hotel.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

The staff tried very hard and the hotel was a great value. However there were some noise issues and the dryer did not work in our unit. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the space and the attitude of the staff.

If you need a lot of WiFi, this may not be the best choice as it is limited (More for a fee) and the range is short. For instance I could use it at the table, but not on the couch or in the bedroom.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Dear Candace10K
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. I do apologize for the noise factor, and the fact the hair dryer did not work, these have been rectified and your Guest profile updated on our systems, to better accommodate you on your next visit to us. The Wifi coverage is also being attended to throughout the building.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Stayed in a studio and a platinum two bedroom. The small additional charge for the upgrade was WELL worth it. Surprisingly good location...a block to the open air market at St. George, very strollable streets, historic churches and a piece of the Berlin Wall are within a couple blocks, the company garden is a pleasant stroll, and there are plenty of restaurants and things to do right in the area. The area is safe and feels good, though as in any large unfamiliar city I preferred to not wander alone after dark.

Modern features, clean lines, good heating (we visited in the winter), quiet, and comfortable. The washer/dryer in both units didn't work correctly so the hotel washed clothes for us for free. Internet existed but very spotty service and weak signal.

I took a star off of my review because of the little things. Shower glass leaked in the 2-bedroom so the floor was flooded. A pity since this will only get worse over time and will cost the hotel money well before necessary. Sliding doors in studio bathroom were not good for privacy or convenience. Internet existed but very spotty service and weak signal.

I would absolutely stay here again and would only stay in the platinum rooms.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank gami1996
William d, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Dear Abhishek G,

It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. I have taken note of your comments about the maintenance issues, which have been rectified already. Many thanks for this feedback, as it really assists us in keeping our product up to standard. The Free Wifi has also been increased to 150 Megs per day, and the coverage throughout our building will be attended to by Always On, our Service Supplier.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

We had 2 two bedroom suites here. It was a great location and safe area. Safes in the room. Facilities for having our breakfasts and snacks in the room. Spa services available but they could not be charged to the room so you must take some form of payment with you. I could not figure out the phone service, when I asked at the front desk the person did not understand my question so I never did learn how to call the front desk from the room. Electrical adapters were available at the front desk for a fee which was refunded when you returned it at check out.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Dear Colleen B,
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. I have addressed your complaint with my Front Desk, and they will ensure a better explanation of our Phone systems in future. You are more than welcome to allocate a Credit on your Room account for signing extra's, such as Spa Treatments, on your next visit to our Hotel.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

Deserves a Very good rating due to the Excellent location, 5 star apartment style rooms with all conveniences you can ask for. Room was very equipped with washer/dryer, refrigerator, oven, microwave, cups, etc. The heat and a/c was centralized and had thermostats in both bedrooms. Bathrooms were very clean and contemporary. Bed lines and towels were clean and fresh. The whole apartment was very modern and stylish. Internet was limited to free 50 mb per day that lasted barely an hour for basic email check anything over that was pricey. TV channels were very limited, staff at the front desk was a bit clueless, and we had asked them if we can borrow tape to fix a small luggage handle, they acted as if they did not understand when we showed them the tape roll on the desk. They advised us to buy it at an office store outside. Our room did not have a view; there was a workout center for basic daily routine. View was great from the fitness room. Our request for a room with view was denied with an excuse that the hotel was full but people arriving later than us were given rooms with great views. Seems like they want to hold the choice rooms until the last minute. Parking was R55 per day; however the location does not need a car rental as everything is walkable, we did not use the car except for the airport both ways. We used the HOHO bus that stopped right outside the hotel for 2 days for all trips, food lovers market for brkfst, lunch, dinners. There are plenty of eating choices all around the hotel. The craft and curio street markets all around offered great buys to take home.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Dear Goodytravel,
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. I have addressed the lack of good service offered to yourselves during your stay, and I do humbly apologize for the Staff who seemed a bit "clueless". They have been dealt with and all has been sorted :)