“Great value”

Ranked #33 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
West University Place, Texas
“Great value”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

The staff tried very hard and the hotel was a great value. However there were some noise issues and the dryer did not work in our unit. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the space and the attitude of the staff.

If you need a lot of WiFi, this may not be the best choice as it is limited (More for a fee) and the range is short. For instance I could use it at the table, but not on the couch or in the bedroom.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
William d, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear Candace10K
Thank you for visiting Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel & Spa recently. My Team and I are delighted to note from your survey, that you enjoyed your stay with us! 
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. I do apologize for the noise factor, and the fact the hair dryer did not work, these have been rectified and your Guest profile updated on our systems, to better accommodate you on your next visit to us. The Wifi coverage is also being attended to throughout the building.
Best regards and safe travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a studio and a platinum two bedroom. The small additional charge for the upgrade was WELL worth it. Surprisingly good location...a block to the open air market at St. George, very strollable streets, historic churches and a piece of the Berlin Wall are within a couple blocks, the company garden is a pleasant stroll, and there are plenty of restaurants and things to do right in the area. The area is safe and feels good, though as in any large unfamiliar city I preferred to not wander alone after dark.

Modern features, clean lines, good heating (we visited in the winter), quiet, and comfortable. The washer/dryer in both units didn't work correctly so the hotel washed clothes for us for free. Internet existed but very spotty service and weak signal.

I took a star off of my review because of the little things. Shower glass leaked in the 2-bedroom so the floor was flooded. A pity since this will only get worse over time and will cost the hotel money well before necessary. Sliding doors in studio bathroom were not good for privacy or convenience. Internet existed but very spotty service and weak signal.

I would absolutely stay here again and would only stay in the platinum rooms.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank gami1996
William d, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Abhishek G,

It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. I have taken note of your comments about the maintenance issues, which have been rectified already. Many thanks for this feedback, as it really assists us in keeping our product up to standard. The Free Wifi has also been increased to 150 Megs per day, and the coverage throughout our building will be attended to by Always On, our Service Supplier.
Tinley Park, Illinois
Reviewed June 20, 2014

We had 2 two bedroom suites here. It was a great location and safe area. Safes in the room. Facilities for having our breakfasts and snacks in the room. Spa services available but they could not be charged to the room so you must take some form of payment with you. I could not figure out the phone service, when I asked at the front desk the person did not understand my question so I never did learn how to call the front desk from the room. Electrical adapters were available at the front desk for a fee which was refunded when you returned it at check out.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Colleen B,
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. I have addressed your complaint with my Front Desk, and they will ensure a better explanation of our Phone systems in future. You are more than welcome to allocate a Credit on your Room account for signing extra's, such as Spa Treatments, on your next visit to our Hotel.
Georgia
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Deserves a Very good rating due to the Excellent location, 5 star apartment style rooms with all conveniences you can ask for. Room was very equipped with washer/dryer, refrigerator, oven, microwave, cups, etc. The heat and a/c was centralized and had thermostats in both bedrooms. Bathrooms were very clean and contemporary. Bed lines and towels were clean and fresh. The whole apartment was very modern and stylish. Internet was limited to free 50 mb per day that lasted barely an hour for basic email check anything over that was pricey. TV channels were very limited, staff at the front desk was a bit clueless, and we had asked them if we can borrow tape to fix a small luggage handle, they acted as if they did not understand when we showed them the tape roll on the desk. They advised us to buy it at an office store outside. Our room did not have a view; there was a workout center for basic daily routine. View was great from the fitness room. Our request for a room with view was denied with an excuse that the hotel was full but people arriving later than us were given rooms with great views. Seems like they want to hold the choice rooms until the last minute. Parking was R55 per day; however the location does not need a car rental as everything is walkable, we did not use the car except for the airport both ways. We used the HOHO bus that stopped right outside the hotel for 2 days for all trips, food lovers market for brkfst, lunch, dinners. There are plenty of eating choices all around the hotel. The craft and curio street markets all around offered great buys to take home.

Dear Goodytravel,
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. I have addressed the lack of good service offered to yourselves during your stay, and I do humbly apologize for the Staff who seemed a bit "clueless". They have been dealt with and all has been sorted :)
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed June 17, 2014

This hotel was in the perfect location and very welcoming. My friend and I were there during a cold week however we imagine returning in the summer to enjoy the rooftop deck and pool. The concierge Noel was especially awesome, he helped book a couple days of activities for us, which helped us become acquainted with the city. Food at Doppio Zero was also our go-to place for meals. All in all very comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Kay S
Okavango Delta, Botswana
Reviewed June 15, 2014

We stayed at Mandela Rhodes Place for a week as we needed a 'base' in Cape Town and we would defenitely recommend it to other business and leisure travellers. We stayed in the Court Chambers (ninth floor) and the room (or appartment really!) was very comfortable with kitchen, fridge, washing machine - everything needed for a 'home' in the city. The service in the hotel is even better, with a member of the Front Office team on stand-by for any request, always immediately executed. The location of the hotel is very central and makes it possible to do some shopping (or groceries) in the direct vicinity, walk to a restaurant etc. The food lovers market is even right next door which was ideal for us! My only point of improvement would be the internet connection, which even if you pay for a 5-day 'always on' connection remains a bit 'unstable'. However, this place is defenitely recommended, Thank you Nathan and everyone else at the Front Desk, Foreman (for directions) and everyone else for making us feel at home in Cape Town.

Room Tip: Go for the superior room in the C-part of the building or even to platinum for a balcony.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear AM_Letschert,
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. I will be sure to pass your kind words to my Staffing compliment and the Doppio Zero Team, many thanks for that :) We are in the process of upgrading our Wifi connectivity through Always on, which will be resolved soon. Many apologies for any inconvenience suffered in this regard.
New Delhi, India
Reviewed June 13, 2014

We stayed at the Three Seasons Mandela Rhodes hotel and really enjoyed our stay. Its in the heart of the city bowl area, a 30 second walk to Greenmarket square, company gardens, and slave lodge. We had a large 2 bedroom aptt, with an excellent kitchen. The staff is very polite, and the travel helpdesk extremely useful. There is a nice cafe on the ground floor, and a nice walking and shopping area, right next to the hotel. Further it is only 10 mins by car/taxi to the cable mountain cable car, district 6 museum, castle of good hope, and victoria and albert waterfront. Overall the perfect place to stay in CT.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front will face the main road and will have more light. They may also give a view of th...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
William d, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear Vivek K
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. Thank you also for the great feedback on our Staffing compliment, teh wonderful location of the Hotel and the comments about our Apartments. This is highly appreciated. We are looking forward to having you back some time soon :)