“Disappointing end to a great stay”

Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel
Ranked #34 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
“Disappointing end to a great stay”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at Mandela Rhodes Place for 5 nights at the end of August, and were pleasantly surprised by the high standard of the rooms. After spending the past 3 weeks on a safari camping, the spacious and clean rooms were a welcome change. The staff were very friendly and helpful throughout.

Unfortunately as we were packing to check out, we noticed that some of our US money had been taken out of our safe. After immediately notifying the front desk one of the members of staff told me that I was wrong and that it was impossible for someone to take the money. I found this both frustrating and rude, as he had jumped to this conclusion without any justification. I lodged a formal report with the hotel and the next morning the head of security came and spoke with me to go through my report. He was very apologetic and dealt with the matter very professionally.

At the end of the day we left after making police report to return to Australia. This was the only sour note on our 4 week holiday through Africa. I left with fond memories of a beautiful hotel, in a beautiful city, but will also unfortunately always remember this disappointing event.

We were notified 2 weeks after arriving back in Australia that after formally interviewing the members of staff, they had no leads on who had taken the money and that they were unable to reimburse the taken money.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank oztraveller25
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Oztraveller25,

Thank you for visiting Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel and Spa recently and yet again should I say. By means of this letter please accept my introduction as the GM. I have received your comments about the unfortunate spate of events and the manner in which it was handled and I must admit it saddened me.

Please be assured that it is not the standard in which we pride ourselves, and I am sure what you have become accustomed to during your travels. Your comments have therefore been distributed to the entire team here and will be addressed accordingly and measures are being put into place to ensure that we lift the bar once more.

We are constantly aiming to ensure that our guests experience the very finest service and standards at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel and Spa, and with this in mind please accept my sincere apologies.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel and Spa in the hope not too distant future.

Desmond

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I stayed in one of the superior rooms and was very impressed with the size of the apartment and the facilities. Fully furnished and stylish kitchen with Everything one could need. The whole apartment was really clean and neat. Friendly and helpful staff!
The only drawback was that there was a loud noise to be heard all night (like a massive aircon system next door) The noise was definitely noticeable and I battled to fall asleep. I was informed the following morning that there was some form of construction in the building... I wish they had put me in a quieter room as the hotel was not that busy/full.
But that being said I will more than likely return there again, as I'm sure it is not a "permanent feature".

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Brandon H
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Brandon H,

Thanks for letting me know about your stay. The noise is temporary and once the work next door is done we will boast an excellent market style food retailer as well as other shops. This will just add to the already amazing array of offerings in the nearby vicinity.

I am sorry it detracted slightly from your stay but implore you to come visit again as this work will be complete and I 'll also ensure that you get a quiet room. Please let me know personally and I will do this for you. I can be contacted at gm@mandelarhodeplace.co.za

Belmont, California
Reviewed September 1, 2012

This is a great hotel in a great location in Cape Town with a great staff. We really enjoyed it. We were able to get a good rate on Expedia. We had a two bedroom, two bath suite with livingroom and kitchen for the two of us. It was great.

The only drawback was that there was a fan running in one of the bathrooms that could not be turned off, even though I contacted maintenance and they tried several times to figure out how to stop it. I am a light sleeper, so I was not able to sleep well at the hotel and it was a 34 hour trip to get there. If it had not been for this issue, the hotel would have been perfect. I don't know if this is a problem in all rooms or just in the room we were in. My husband had no trouble sleeping.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Dear Kellie M,

Thanks for doing such a nice write up here. I am sorry to have read though about the fan in your bathroom and will ensure that this is fixed and/or removed. Hopefully you will come visit again and this time I shall make personally sure all noisy fans are off.

Take care and kind regards
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Huge apartments, spotless, located close to the Bo Kap quarter and with view on the Table Mountains! Decoration and equipment are OK. Bathrooms are new and luxurious. Kitchen us fully equipped, but there is no dish-washing machine. The windows are not very good in isolating from the cold wind in winter, but the heating system is good enough that normally you do not notice. Staff is nice and very professional. A closed parking is also available, very useful in that area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Casablanca71,

Thanks for letting us know about the experiences you had whilst staying here. We are happy to note that you enjoyed this. You have experienced Cape Town in winter and we firmly believe you now need to do this in summer. We will keep you room for you.

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed August 31, 2012

After two weeks on safari we arrived in Cape Town and made our way to the Mandela Rhodes for a four night stay. I had read the reviews, but they just didn't do this hotel justice. We received a warm, efficient and welcoming reception and were quickly whisked off to our "room." A beautiful, apartment with two bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths, a hugh living room, balcony with a view of signal hill and a fully stocked kitchen awaited us. Everything you could think of was available if you wished to cook a full meal! We wished we had friends in town so we could have a dinner party! Wow! What a perfect set up for four friends to share and relax in. The hotel is very well located and we walked to all of the sites in the city we wanted to visit. Any question or need was efficiently and cheerfully handled by the outstanding staff. I am a travel agent and I cannot say enough about the quality of this hotel and its staff and service. I will definitely be sending all of my clients visiting Cape Town to the Mandela Rhodes. It was a pleasure working with the delightful GM, Desmond O'Connor and his staff.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Barbara,

I must am so glad you ladies enjoyed your visit. It is always great to build relationships with people like yourselves which hopefully will extend past just this visit. Take care and come visit soon again.

Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Our treat after over 5 weeks vacation in African and we were not disappointed. An excellent reception by the staff and a fantastic room, well a suite with views if signsl hill. The staff were most helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The suite was excellent and our daughter was most pleased with her room and own bathroom. We were allowed to register early and had a late departure while my wife anf daughter who made use of the good haidressing facilities so they looke their best for our return journey to the UK. Had a good breakfast before we left.
Centrally located for the city centre and all those craft markets!
Thanks to all the staff.

Room Tip: The only place is in the tower the higher the better for those sensational views of CT
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Neillyb57,

My team and I are delighted to have read that you had such a terrific time here in our beautiful city. We look forward to you staying here again in the hopefully not too distant future.

Regards

The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 28, 2012

this apartment-hotel feels like a more permanent place. That has two sides to it.
It's great to be able to make tea and coffee+ even cook your own meal. The huge fridge, pots and pans neatly stowed away. Good closet space. The staff is doing their best to make it all pleasant.
I stayed here twice for a midweek, each time by myself, and needed to get used to the open floors; it felt a bit less safe at the start, especially when arriving late at night. The white tiles in the corridors with only on one side rooms, inside a large patio, and an elevator that was out of use, didn't help.
In daylight the benefits are surely easier to be seen and I decided that it was fine. The rooms are clean and spacious. Free internet. Reasonable good fitness room (much better equipped then in most hotels) and a very good breakfast. Tried the Persian restaurant, which was OK but found the Indian restaurant across in the shopping street more recommendable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Tmaria V,

Thank you for letting us know about experience and I am delighted that it turned out the way you expected which is nothing short of great.

Take care and kind regards