“Nice hotel in a central location”

Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel
Ranked #34 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
WashingtonDC
“Nice hotel in a central location”
Reviewed March 28, 2012

My parents and I stayed at the Mandela Rhodes Hotel for three nights in the platinum two-bedroom apartment, and had a great stay. for what we paid, we got a HUGE unit that was modern and had a full kitchen. The kitchen came with any type of utensils or plates needed. The showers were a bit small for my taste, but we're made out of sandstone, which you don't see everyday. The heated tile floors, I mean, who wouldn't like that?!

I felt that the service was outstanding. At a big hotel like this, you never know what the front desk or attendants will be like, but the different guest relations people with whom I interacted were uniformly helpful and friendly. We had a problem with a malfunctioning clothes washer in our unit, and they sent someone to fix it immediately. And even though it's a big hotel, the front desk clerks remembered my unit number days after I checked-in.

I think the biggest negative was that there were SO MANY light switches, couldn't figure out how to turn on the heat lamp in the bathroom. It took three adults about 10 minutes to figure out how to turn off all the lights to go to bed. I would say in the entire apartment, there were over 20 light switches or heat lamp controllers or air conditioner dials -- a bit of an overkill.  Another place for improvement would be to put a spa menu in the room for reference. Also, I had to ask twice for missing toiletries, and no trash can was placed in the bathroom. The internet options were also very overpriced (R90 for two hours seems like price gouging).

Overall, I would definitely recommend Mandela Rhodes for the rooms, the service, and the location. Also, I felt the value for the two-bedroom was very high. I have no problem giving this hotel 5 stars.

Room Tip: The higher floor, the better
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jg325
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Dear JG325,

Thank you so much for your very positive yet constructive TripAdvisor review. We are delighted to hear you had a good time with us here and will most definitely take your comments to heart and address.

We look forward to having you stay here again soon hopefully.

Desmond

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Mandela Rhodes is well located in central Cape Town but for the price, you'd expect a lot more.

PROS:
- Extremely large rooms / service apartments
- Modern design with lots of natural light
- Well located
- Fantastic restaurant: Doppio Zero (excellent Italian) and two nearby Indian restaurants (Bukhara and the restaurant in the neighboring Taj, Bombay Brasserie)

CONS:
- Poorly cleaned rooms
- Staff is friendly but unable to do much to help you
- Lots of noise from the street and the windows don't close properly
- Key cards demagnetize easily
- Not a great value for money but Cape Town in general seems very expensive

Room Tip: Hopefully if you can get a room higher up you could avoid all the noise from the street.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank EduTravelerMidwest
Dear EduTravelerMidwest,

I have read your review as posted here on TripAdvisor with great sadness. We strive in offering our guests exceptional service at great value. It is obvious from your comments that we failed you in this aspect. Please accept my apologies for the challenges you experienced whilst staying here.

I have passed your comments onto the team here with the trust and belief that it will assist us in making sure we adress these areas and lift the bar once more.

Reviewed March 17, 2012

The rooms are lovely, the staff is very very slow and unhelpful, they did not have enough room keys so 4 of us had to share a single key, then, we had to leave the room at 11am after we made plans for a late check out, and in the rush to get out with very short notice, I accidentally left my watch in the room, when I went back later to ask if they found it, it was not reported found and it is lost now without ANY effort or apology from the staff.

Room Tip: Be patient with the staff and be very careful with your belongings.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear EmilFaber,

Thank you for writing this honest and insightful review on TripAdvisor. I must admit is saddened me as it is not the standard in which we pride ourselves, and I am sure what you have become accustomed to during your travels. Your comments have therefore been distributed to the entire team here and will be addressed accordingly and measures are being put into place to ensure that we lift the bar once more.

We are constantly aiming to ensure that our guests experience the very finest service and standards at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel and Spa, and with this in mind please accept my humble apologies for the challenges you experienced.

Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Nice apartments will let you stay with family or friends, cook, use the living and have a rather comfortable space. Location is fantastic for those who want to enjoy the city amenities, the good party going on Long Street and the art crafts markets in the pedestrian area.
It however pricy for what you get. for those who don’t know Cape Town yet, city is not far from the beaches and just next to beautiful Camps Bay.
I may have stayed in a rather high season or special occasion (Argus Pick & Pay bicycle tour) but ~ USD 300/night is way too much for it.

Room Tip: Some apartments have the rooms facing the main corridor and then you may have to endure baggage whee...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank zaspi
Dear Zaspi,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience here at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel and Spa. I have noted your comments about our prices and can assure you that they are well within the rates charged for similar properties within the Cape Town CBD. I see you are an avid cyclist and with this in ind ask that when you book for next year to check with me and my team. We offer a lot of specials over this period.

London
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Treatment room was dirty. My pedicure was rushed as the therapist had to leave. It was not very professional. There was no top coat applied on my nails and a lot of paint on the skin. A complete waste of money.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank TravellerFromOz
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
Dear TravellerFromOz,

I have just recieved your Trip Advisor review about your Spa experience and must admit I was most disappointed. Although Camelot Spa operates in the building it is in fact a privately owned concern and NOT operated by the Hotel at all.

Having said this, it is still part of our offering which we advertise and therefor when guests have a good or bad experience we take it very personally, as it is a reflection on the Hotel as well. I have therefore made contact with the owner and advised them of this and trust they will make contact with you direct.

I trust that this has not detracted form your stay with us here at the Hotel.

Regards

Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Central, safe location; spacious, comfortable apartments, some with stunning views of Table Mountain; hotel staff welcoming, friendly and really helpful. We hope to return soon with our teenage children.

Room Tip: Some apartments have amazing views of Table Mountain.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Pam T,

Thank you for the great review. Come back and visit us again soon.

uk
Reviewed February 18, 2012

One of the best apartments I have stayed. Very central and easy access. The C block and the tower blocks are great place to stay. All the staff are friendly and very helpful. Alastair was very helpful organizing tours. He made my stay at this hotel very pleasant. He also took time out to talk to us everyday to see how we spent our day. Also very grateful to him as he made sure my cab on leaving day was booked and helped with my luggage to my cab( despite not being his job). I also was very impressed with the hotel as my checking time was at 1pm but they checked me in early. They were also relaxed on the checking time out. Only one problem was the free shuttle from the hotel to V&A waterfront. They did not depart on time and failed to turn up at the waterfront to collect us on one occasion. They were happy to refund my fare on this occasion.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank raj p
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Dear Raj P

I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us as we strive to build lasting relationships with our guests.
Your comment has been noted and passed on to our staff.
We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience that was caused to you in regards to thye shuttle not arriving on time, we hope it did not cause a damper on your travel.
With that said, we hope to see you once again.

Kind Regards